SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 AM
Registered

jimtash is spectacular!jimtash is spectacular!
Default What are the symptoms of a timing belt off a tooth or two?

I'm asking because the motor in my '89 has this harshness and viration to it. Everything checks out fine as far as cylinder firing and such. No codes. Replaced the injectors with refurbished one's, plugs are good as are the wires.

I installed it as a replacement motor several years back and it's nowhere near the level of the original motor in terms of smoothness. At idle, the motor literally shakes back and forth and I can feel a vibration coming from it. I have been completely baffled as to why it does it but now I'm thinking that the timing belt is off a tooth or two. What symptoms would be present if say the timing belt was installed incorrectly.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:17 AM
Owner & Fanatic

SHO_DOODmorrris is a jewel in the roughSHO_DOODmorrris is a jewel in the roughSHO_DOODmorrris is a jewel in the roughSHO_DOODmorrris is a jewel in the rough

that could be it but check your crank pully. i owuld think a bent/separating pully could cause that
Mods to come: Paint.
Member #2 of the I'm Younger Than My SHO Club (IYTMSHOC)
Quote:
Other than shit, it's what Sam is full of.
Youngest boosted SHO owner/builder
Old 12-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Registered

93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Could be timing belt. Does it run hot?
It's like we all had a premonition that he'd be less stupid some day....:laugh_ti:
23 year old Taurus
Old 12-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Registered

itwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid one

Set to TDC using the white notch in the edge of the crank pulley (may need to clean to find it, and don't use the orange notch by mistake) matched to the zero mark on the lower timing cover. Remove the upper timing cover and see if the dots on the front of the pulleys match the reference marks on the shield.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93rev2sev View Post
Agreed. Could be timing belt. Does it run hot?
It doesn't run hot but I did have to replace the radiator twice in it since installing this engine due to leaks.

I just remember what the original engine was like. Quiet, smooth and could feel the torque. This engine is noisy, vibrates, is harsh and doesn't have the seat of the pants torque in it like the other. That's why I think the cam or crank timing is off because if it was mechanical, the engine would have self destructed a long time ago.

Wierd thing is that I was using a larger throttle body and because the butterfly would constantly stick in it, I put the original back on. This in itself cut down on the vibrations about 50%. The rotational vibration was so bad that it would cause the steering wheel to shake.

The only way I can describe it is the engine behaves as if it has a high performance cam in it.

Last edited by jimtash; 12-17-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Registered

93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute

have you double checked your firing order? I would.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Registered

I've done it all. New plugs, new wires, checked the codes and nothing changed. Everything is where it's supposed to be as far as I can tell. This problem has plagued the engine from the get go.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Sorta cares

hawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond repute

no, he means the plug wire order. The Chilton manual (and the Haynes too IIRC) have the order of the plugs wrong, and will cause you to reverse 5 and 4, causing all sorts of driveability issues.

My radar sees farther than your SHO can drive on a tank.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Unregistered

NCTaurusSHO is a jewel in the roughNCTaurusSHO is a jewel in the roughNCTaurusSHO is a jewel in the roughNCTaurusSHO is a jewel in the rough

may be who ever installed the motor mixed up the injecor harness plugs with the one ones that go for the interior harnes plugs and the pcm harnes plugs located under the thermostat housing they can be mis matched
Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye18 View Post
no, he means the plug wire order. The Chilton manual (and the Haynes too IIRC) have the order of the plugs wrong, and will cause you to reverse 5 and 4, causing all sorts of driveability issues.
Plug order is correct.

Everything is as it should be that's visible and easy to access.

I replaced the fuel injectors myself and the harness is correct. The car runs and drives fine. No missing at all. The engine just has this nasty vibration in it and is harsh.

Last edited by jimtash; 12-17-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Registered

AREA 91 has much to be proud ofAREA 91 has much to be proud ofAREA 91 has much to be proud ofAREA 91 has much to be proud ofAREA 91 has much to be proud ofAREA 91 has much to be proud ofAREA 91 has much to be proud ofAREA 91 has much to be proud ofAREA 91 has much to be proud ofAREA 91 has much to be proud of

Having the T belt off a tooth or two can cause a rough running engine. Does the engine feel like it has power up top, but is lacking down low? Or vice versa.

Double check your timing. It's fairly easy.

91+ Green Not Stock!
12.74 ET & 114.25MPH
257 WHP All Motor 336 WHP on N20

91 Mocha Frost 210WHP 210WTQ

I am the PA SHO SHOP
Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA 91 View Post
Having the T belt off a tooth or two can cause a rough running engine. Does the engine feel like it has power up top, but is lacking down low? Or vice versa.

Double check your timing. It's fairly easy.
Power up top. When the secondaries kick in, they are un-noticable and yes, they are working.

The old engine was totally the opposite and when the secondaries kicked in, I felt it.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:25 PM
87 Octane

kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtash View Post
Power up top. When the secondaries kick in, they are un-noticable and yes, they are working.

The old engine was totally the opposite and when the secondaries kicked in, I felt it.
Was your timing off? My car seems the same way.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Registered

rubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud of

one of the cars I bought had the rear head timing off 2 teeth (late, iirc) and it ran hot, would not pass emissions due to high nox (due to running hot) and was significantly down on power.
98 Green Mountaineer awd 5.0 - for sale!
03 Tan Subaru Outback 3.0
former SHOs include 94 re atx, 94 wh atx x2, 93 gr atx, 94 bl mtx, 97 bk, 98 bk, 95 gr atx->mtx, 93 bl mtx, 93 bl atx, 95 bl atx, 95 gr atx, 92 wh mtx