SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 05-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Registered

GreenPlus is unknown at this point
Default Intake manifold gaskets

I have a 91 Green Sho Plus and it runs hot and burns coolant. My first impression is that it has a blown HG, but there is no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. Is it possible that the car would smoke due to bad intake manifold gaskets. The previous owner had it off and I havent really had a chance to tinker with the car yet.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Zoom Zoom

SASHO91 is a splendid oneSASHO91 is a splendid oneSASHO91 is a splendid oneSASHO91 is a splendid oneSASHO91 is a splendid oneSASHO91 is a splendid oneSASHO91 is a splendid one

You can still have a blown headgasket that doesn't leak into the oil/water passages.
The following user says thank you to SASHO91 for this post:
GreenPlus (05-18-2008)
Old 05-18-2008, 01:18 PM
SHOForum Sponsor

LOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud of
Cool

The intake manifold gaskets rarely go bad.

Have you changed the thermostat?

-Performance: Turbo 297hp 279ftlb
-Drivetrain: CM Clutch,SHONut Mounts,QUAIFE
-Suspension: SS Coilovers, 24/26mm,Poly,Gen3,H-Brace, Subframe
-Brakes: Cobra front, 11.6 rear
-Looks: Sound System,Speedhut,Pilot Fogs,Clear Corners,Gen2 Console, CF Cowl Hood & Trunk
SHO Source
Old 05-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Registered

Default HG

Ya, I replaced the thermostat. I guess I'll have to pull the heads then. Any tips on removing the exhaust bolts?
Old 05-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Registered

K-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

SHOs very rarely blow headgaskets. Get a pressure tester on the cooling system and find out where your leak is. You probably have a leaking hose or radiator.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:27 PM
< my kawi

yzstud is a jewel in the roughyzstud is a jewel in the roughyzstud is a jewel in the roughyzstud is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlus View Post
I have a 91 Green Sho Plus and it runs hot and burns coolant. My first impression is that it has a blown HG, but there is no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. Is it possible that the car would smoke due to bad intake manifold gaskets. The previous owner had it off and I havent really had a chance to tinker with the car yet.
as stated before, you can have blown headgaskets that won't leak into the cylinders, and the IM gaskets are reusable and lifetime correct?

check for coolant leaks on cold days, they are probably leaking past them crappy ass clamps or at the end tanks on the radiator
Old 05-18-2008, 03:28 PM
WHO ME ?

RAYJAY is a jewel in the roughRAYJAY is a jewel in the roughRAYJAY is a jewel in the roughRAYJAY is a jewel in the rough

smell the over flow jug if it smells like hydro carbons the head gasket / head is bad,

and yes if you over heat the motors the head gaskets will go bad

and i have seen a lot of the 3.2 with rear blown head gaskets, I have one of them

here is a picture of the head washed away in the seal area

Jeff

1994 3.2 ATX DEEP JEWEL

1994 BLUE/GREY atx KONI /EIBACH TPR BUSHINGS H BRACE ATX

Old 05-18-2008, 03:33 PM
< my kawi

yzstud is a jewel in the roughyzstud is a jewel in the roughyzstud is a jewel in the roughyzstud is a jewel in the rough

its just like any other cars, overheat it, run it too long and run the risk of a blown head gasket
Old 05-18-2008, 06:11 PM
3.0ld

Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!

The intake manifold gaskets can have the paint chip off and at that point most people replace them or at least repaint them.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Registered

Thanks guys for all the advice. When I say it burn coolant I mean there is visible white smoke coming out the exhaust. I was just hopng that there was something else that could cause it.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Owner & Fanatic

SHO_DOODmorrris is a jewel in the roughSHO_DOODmorrris is a jewel in the roughSHO_DOODmorrris is a jewel in the roughSHO_DOODmorrris is a jewel in the rough

intake gaskets are reusable! SHIT lol. just waseted some money...

-M
Mods to come: Paint.
Member #2 of the I'm Younger Than My SHO Club (IYTMSHOC)
Quote:
Other than shit, it's what Sam is full of.
Youngest boosted SHO owner/builder
Old 05-19-2008, 08:23 AM
SHOHOLIC

Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Im kinda stunned to see that no one specified that weather your intake gasket is blown or not , it wont affect any coolant issues simply because the SHO has no coolant passages in the intake....

2002 Taurus with 3.2 MTX Cammed and modded @ 241 WHP N/A.

UPLOAD ALL YOUR SHO PICTURES: Shospeed.com

Currently working on: 92 SHOGUN
Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 AM
shoclown

shoclown will become famous soon enough

use a block tester.. napa etc sells them for around 14.00. it is a plastice turkey baster looking thing that when fillled with the chemical it comes with if you have any combustion gasses in the rad it turns the chemical a different color.
so you fill up the tool run car to a normal temp and put tool in the rad cap hole and let it run for a couple min..works great very easy to use and is very reliable(as long as you dont suck antifreeze in it) make sure coolant leval is 1/2 low then test.
For the money it is a GREAT TOOL THE CHEMICAL WILL LAST QUITE A WHILE IF KEPT ACORDING TO DIRECTIONS ETC.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:02 PM
3.0ld

Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!

Phoenix: we mentioned them but I think most posters indirectly ignored them for that exact reason.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:39 PM
SHOHOLIC

Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
Phoenix: we mentioned them but I think most posters indirectly ignored them for that exact reason.
Roger