SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 04-18-2008, 10:04 PM
PiMPSKiLLET

Eric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud of
Default Found a hole in my Y pipe... :(

Right infront of the cat... front bank... and it looks like its right on the weld.... can I just use some of that muffler crap since the hole is so small? Or should I just take it somewhere and get an extra bead of weld around it?

I also cannot keep a donut gasket for longer than a month to save my life. Besides the hangar off the oil pan... I dont have another hanger anywhere near there... isn't there supposed to be one near the shifter? towards the passenger side? I see 2 bolt holes.. but got no stud, or hangar on there.. ??

Car Domain My work
Old 04-18-2008, 10:09 PM
< my kawi

yzstud is a jewel in the roughyzstud is a jewel in the roughyzstud is a jewel in the roughyzstud is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric VerValin View Post
Right infront of the cat... front bank... and it looks like its right on the weld.... can I just use some of that muffler crap since the hole is so small? Or should I just take it somewhere and get an extra bead of weld around it?

I also cannot keep a donut gasket for longer than a month to save my life. Besides the hangar off the oil pan... I dont have another hanger anywhere near there... isn't there supposed to be one near the shifter? towards the passenger side? I see 2 bolt holes.. but got no stud, or hangar on there.. ??
fix the hole the right way, get a small bead welded on it

as far as the other hangar goes, i haven't the fondest idea
my 3 previous mtx's didn't but my 2 atx's did
Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Registered

ultimatesho is a jewel in the roughultimatesho is a jewel in the roughultimatesho is a jewel in the roughultimatesho is a jewel in the rough

exhaust cement will work.......thats what i used to patch my hole from the EGR tube on my exhaust manifold....and its only like 6 somthin a tube...

'92 Black w/full Black leather MTX - SOLD

'97 Trans Am WS6 White/Grey leather A4

'00 Trans Am Red/Blk M6

finally completely out of SHO's and couldnt b much happier
Old 04-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Its a Taurus...

1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of

my cats were rotted out bad but still good internally, metal very thin, I cut the heat shields off and got a few cans of 3 dollar muffler puddy from napa. Spread it all on them and so far 4k miles and no problems with leaks
1994 atx 159k green/tan (parted/junked)
1994 mtx 131k green/tan (parted/junked)
Old 04-18-2008, 11:18 PM
PiMPSKiLLET

Eric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud of

Well I got a tube of that muffler mender "stuff" but still I have to seriously try to address my issue with the mounting surface there.. Its either not perfectly round or something...

My friend was talking about welding that thing solid all around the damn gasket and all... Got free sticks... anyway.. and then maybe welding a bunch onto the collector and making the thing about 1/2" thick all the way around... then behind that where its straight.. put use "sleeves" ? he says they're easy to use / take off, replace when ya need too... just wondering if anyone has done this... and if so.. I would think I would certianly need a hanger on the cat back end of it... ??

Edit: I'll go get a pic of the 2 areas here..... to be continued
Old 04-18-2008, 11:34 PM
PiMPSKiLLET

Ok... not sure what you can see with these.. but heres a look... you can see where this is leakin...

and here's the gasket I keep blowing apart... I've even got the one bolt so tight its working its way into the damn pipe.. and probally should be banged back out.... :( I wish I had a welder / knew how to weld... :( I need to get this SHO to be a little less obvious..

Is anyone elses Y-Pipe this close to the subframe? It's not a problem or anything.. but I'm talkin less than 1/4" away.... it never hits... (no shiny spots..) The other Y's I've seen here look like they are in a different spot.. ? Supposedly I have a SHO Shop Y pipe from years ago... I didn't buy it thru them so I don't know for sure.... just something else I thought of..

Old 04-19-2008, 12:14 AM
Its a Taurus...

1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of

The y pipe to the rest of the exhaust, I blow that out like once a week, I gave up, I used to use high temp rtv and that worked (will work for you if its not a bad leak), now its just so bad I really don't care anymore
Old 04-19-2008, 12:50 AM
PiMPSKiLLET

Oh i'm already used to it... it doesn't ping or backfire at all.. so she sounds good... ask bubba.. lol he heard all of second gear the other day when I was leavin.. lol
Old 04-19-2008, 01:31 AM
ATX Connoisseur

bubba is a beacon of lightbubba is a beacon of lightbubba is a beacon of lightbubba is a beacon of lightbubba is a beacon of lightbubba is a beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric VerValin View Post
Oh i'm already used to it... it doesn't ping or backfire at all.. so she sounds good... ask bubba.. lol he heard all of second gear the other day when I was leavin.. lol

yes It didn't backfire at all it was mean as helland it wasn't that loud.
1993 Vibrant white atx fully optioned Getting stripped eibach's,clear corner's, black inteior, 100k heads 60k'ed and best of all rust free! [B]Sold[B]
1993 mtx black/black Suspension out the ass, and a few other thingsSOLD- TO boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkinasphalt View Post
oh well then, hookers and blow.

Last edited by bubba; 04-19-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:34 AM
Its a Taurus...

oh mines loud too, but it comes from under the front of the car lol, and its raspy as hell, I can't stand an unmuffled non resonated sho engine, it just sounds horrible IMO.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Registered

itwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid one

Use the WALKER Part # 31372 donut gasket instead of the Felpro one. The Walker is much better. It looks like you could use a new spring/bolt kit, which are not expensive. I would get that cat welded.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:51 AM
PiMPSKiLLET

Well.. they thread easy still.. I never have a problem getting them off.. I just try to get it tight until I feel like its about to break.. not sure how tight it should be.

Is the walker thicker? Is it advanced who carrys it? I got a new felpro one in the car now.. would love to see them side by side.. Thanks!