SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 07-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Ken is a bad, bad boy and should be banned

Kens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud of
Default Engine runs cold, then hot, then cold again

My engine has suddenly started running much colder than normal. Under highway speeds the temp gauge sits at the "L" in NORMAL. When I get off the highway the temp gauge goes up to the "O" or the "R". One instance it went up to "N". My SHO didn't do this prior to my Y-Pipe install on Tuesday.

I'm guessing it's the thermostat going bad. What else will cause such rapid temp fluctuations?

Thanks guys,
Ken

EDIT: I have checked coolant levels and everything is OK. No oil in reservoir tank either.

Last edited by Kens1992mtxSHO; 07-14-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:27 AM
lost

excidere will become famous soon enoughexcidere will become famous soon enough

You might also make sure that the fan is kicking on like it should, which that could be relay/motor problem, or a thermostat problem. My old '95 did that and the reason it was so low on the highway was that the air was pushing through the radiator anyways, and then at a stop or low speed there was not enough air getting through to cool efficiently.

In my particular case the fan motor had burnt up, so I replaced it and all was good!

'07 Chevy HHR LT 75k - Family Friendly
'90 Black on Black MTX 121k - http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=73819
'96 Camry XLE v6 180k - Daily Driver
Old 07-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Sr. SHO Engr.

sdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to all

The thermostat has the ultimate responsibility for controlling the temperature of the engine coolant. If it is running too cold when moving, the thermostat is likely not moderating the coolant flow properly. However, if the engine is running hot only when not moving, the radiator fan operation should be checked.
In-car Track Video: Laps at TWS
Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Registered

93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute

Co-signed thermostat problem.
It's probably sticking in both open and closed positions...pressure gets high enough from heat and it pops open...all the way...and sticks there. Engine cools down and thermo stays open...until...it gets cool enough to pop it closed again where the cycle will repeat.
It's like we all had a premonition that he'd be less stupid some day....:laugh_ti:
23 year old Taurus