SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Electronics & Audio

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Registered

hypnotic is on the right road
Default IRCM/CCRM details

So the ccrm that came on the car when I bought it broke, it had a letter M on it and I have now found out that is the right one for my 93 mtx. I bought a module with a J on it from a junk yard and it works but my car isnt recognizing the new cps it seems like. I just wanted to know what will go wrong if I do not have the right ccrm.

-craig
90 GMC Sierra 33s, 3" lift, 350
Old 04-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Its a Taurus...

1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of

from what i always knew was the J was for autos but then i read some mtx's had it, I also read that they all work on any car. Id try to get one with an M on it and see if that helps. My mechanic said i couldnt use the one with the J and made me go get one with an M so who knows.
1994 atx 159k green/tan (parted/junked)
1994 mtx 131k green/tan (parted/junked)
Old 04-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Registered

whiteman_01 is a jewel in the roughwhiteman_01 is a jewel in the roughwhiteman_01 is a jewel in the rough

I had a J in my car when i got it. Well i had some problems and i replaced i with an M. It was not the problem, but i have had no ill effects of switching the two.

96 Medium Graphite, NESHO MTX swapped,
Quaife, Eibach Springs, SHOrty shifter,
CM3 clutch, EGR delete, 3rd cat delete,
Air pump delete, Secondaries deleted,
13" Cobra fronts, 11.6" rear
Old 04-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Registered

thanks I appreciate it. I have just had so many problems with this car I am trying to rule out everything.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Its a Taurus...

1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of1993MTXSHO has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotic
thanks I appreciate it. I have just had so many problems with this car I am trying to rule out everything.
well id say replacing it with one thats got the same letter of yours is your best bet then, that way you knows for a fact its the same
Old 04-14-2007, 04:39 PM

NWGRN94MTX is a beacon of lightNWGRN94MTX is a beacon of lightNWGRN94MTX is a beacon of lightNWGRN94MTX is a beacon of lightNWGRN94MTX is a beacon of lightNWGRN94MTX is a beacon of light

Trust me, get an M.

"And I never pull a motor just to replace the rod bearings...that is buffoonary. Slap whoever told you that."
"Weasels and squirrels are not an endangered species" - Customer Service Department
94 MTX "It's not easy being Green." - Kermit Frog
SHOforum TOS SHOforum Guidelines
2004 & 2008 Gold award winner. Generation 2 - Modified, 2008 Best Engine
Old 04-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Registered

Storm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud of

Why? Is there some benefit to having the "M" over the "J" (like the D4U1), or because it can/does create porblems having the wrong module?
Old 04-15-2007, 12:52 AM
SHO Medic

shopartsnw is a splendid oneshopartsnw is a splendid oneshopartsnw is a splendid oneshopartsnw is a splendid oneshopartsnw is a splendid oneshopartsnw is a splendid oneshopartsnw is a splendid one

Just a few things to think about.

When I was a newbie, I tried an M in our 95MTX (it needs a D). The fuel pump would not work with the M, so it couldn't even start. In our case, the incompatibility saved us some hardship. I know one possible incorrect CCRM combination will let the car start, but it will not allow the cooling fan to come on. In this case, you have an engine waiting to overheat if you do not see the temp gauge spike up.

Now think about the other differences

ATX has two fans, MTX has one.

94/95 has two speed fan, 89-93 have single speed fan.

I keep hearing people say it does not matter, but I have seen evidence to the contrary. Why take a chance when you could just put the right part in?

Mike (tired from a day of wrenching - sorry for the vent)
Old 04-15-2007, 01:58 AM
Registered

Storm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud ofStorm-Chaser has much to be proud of

I think you misinterpreted my post - I am asking because I want to truly want to know. So much of what is passed around here, is often based solely on "WOMs" (word-of-mouth), often based on something someone heard from someone else. I want to know because I have always installed the correct OEM part when I can, not just the one someone says will work ("..., trust me, it will work just fine...."). Been there, listen to that, and learned that leason the hard way long ago....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopartsnw
Mike (tired from a day of wrenching - sorry for the vent)
I heard that! I spent from 1145-1600 on the lift, under the car today....

Btw, still have those rear 90-92 rotors?
Old 04-15-2007, 02:23 AM

NWGRN94MTX is a beacon of lightNWGRN94MTX is a beacon of lightNWGRN94MTX is a beacon of lightNWGRN94MTX is a beacon of lightNWGRN94MTX is a beacon of lightNWGRN94MTX is a beacon of light

Storm Chaser,

My apologies, I should have explained better. I just don't like arguing on forums anymore. I won't argue, but I should explain.

~~~~~
Old 04-15-2007, 04:07 AM
SHO Member

TYSHO is a jewel in the roughTYSHO is a jewel in the roughTYSHO is a jewel in the roughTYSHO is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopartsnw
I know one possible incorrect CCRM combination will let the car start, but it will not allow the cooling fan to come on.
What combination is that?

Your Ford Parts Source, Providing the Cheapest Cost of New Ford Parts for the SHO Community 7 years Strong! Check out the Classified Section for my Thread and let us help raise money for SHOForum!

Reinforced ATX Motor Mounts and Welded Differential Service Available
Old 04-15-2007, 12:54 PM
SHO Medic

shopartsnw is a splendid oneshopartsnw is a splendid oneshopartsnw is a splendid oneshopartsnw is a splendid oneshopartsnw is a splendid oneshopartsnw is a splendid oneshopartsnw is a splendid one

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYSHO
What combination is that?
Somehow, I knew that question would come up. At some point, I may need to do a detailed study of CCRM swaps, but I can't even think about it until Karen's race car is built (about 3 weeks).

I can remember this from memory:

M will not operate the fuel pump if it needed a D (94/95 MTX)

D seems to operate in place of an M, but I would need more detailed study to verify the cooling fan, etc.

As for the J into an M car, we have sold a couple M's to people on the forum who had Js and thier cooling fans were not coming on. I would need to reproduce the effects, but it could be a J in an M car won't operate fans, or it could be that a J in an M car will fail at some point due to some wiring difference. It could also just be a coincidence as we have also sold M's to people with bad M's. J into M is my best bet for a cooling fan issue.

I have not tried an M into a J car, but I am sure someone here has.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Mike
Old 04-15-2007, 02:49 PM
SHO Member

TYSHO is a jewel in the roughTYSHO is a jewel in the roughTYSHO is a jewel in the roughTYSHO is a jewel in the rough

Well, I guess I can do the testing with the "J" and "M" ones since I have both in working condition, that way we know for sure.

Perhaps some failures to operate might have been from damaged modules?

For a fact, I know the "D" code works on "J" code ATX's. However, the "J" code is also used in the regular Taurus as well during the 90's, which I have not tested with a "D" code. There's some other combos that work as well, but I would need to gather the information or have that person post them.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Sorta cares

hawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I don't have an M code schematic, but I do have the J and D codes.

J code:

D code:

Judge for yourself.

My radar sees farther than your SHO can drive on a tank.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Well, I don't have an M code schematic, but I do have the J and D codes.

J code:

D code:

Judge for yourself.
Thanks! Now we need a "M" pin out and we will be set.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Sorta cares

hawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as long as a 93 MTX uses an "M" code CCRM, here you go.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Images courtesy of www.fordcds.com.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:59 PM

A sticky is in order! Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Registered

92inPA will become famous soon enough92inPA will become famous soon enough

The CCRM controls power to the fuel pump, AC and cooling fans. I tried to explain a bit of the details on my web page. For sure, as you have noted all three boxes are not fully interchangeable.

Bob's CCRM page

I own a 95 mtx (D), a 93 atx (J) and a 92 (M). In my mountain of spare parts I also have all three boxes. Maybe I should try all the combinations and report back with the results.

Last edited by 92inPA; 04-17-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:05 PM
SHOless In St L

projectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of light
Default IRCM/CCRM info

(Note: I wrote this up this morning. Needs proofed. If you find a mistake or see anything questionable, please PM your comments to me, do not make an additional post. I will edit any needed changes. Thanks.)

IRCM/CCRM Functions/Pin-outs

The IRCM/CCRM performs four functions on the SHO:

1) EEC Power Switching

2) Fuel Pump Relay Switching

3) Cooling Fan Power Control

4) A/C Clutch Control

All years, all versions:

Pin 15 is ground.
Pin 16 (A/C Coil low side) is connected to pin 15 internally.
Pin 8 is ALWAYS HOT.
Pin 13 is HOT in RUN/START.

1. EEC Power Switching: When the ignition switch is turned to START/RUN, switched power is applied to the high side of the EEC POWER RELAY coil (low side is grounded). The COMMON terminal of the AC POWER RELAY is connected to pin 8. The output of the EEC POWER RELAY is supplied to the high side of the fuel pump, fan, and AC clutch coils and is distributed out pin 24 as SWITCHED B+ to the PCM and to various sensors and actuators on the engine when this relay is energized.

2. A/C Clutch Control: There are two inputs to the A/C clutch circuit and one output:

A) A/C Request signal (Pin 21). This is a switched HIGH (battery voltage) signal that is true when the EATC/HVAC control and the cycling switch have requested compressor clutch operation.

B) WAC* (WOT A/C Cutout - Pin 22). This is an active LOW (ground) signal from the PCM that is enabled when the PCM has determined that compressor operation must be disabled, i.e., under heavy acceleration.

C) A/C Clutch Coil (Pin 23). This is an active HIGH (battery voltage) signal that is true only when Pin 21 is high and pin 22 is not LOW.

Variations by Type

Fuel Pump Control

All versions provide output on Pin 5.
Type M:
(89-93 MTX) IRCM boxes contain two fuel pump relays. 89 and 90 used an external dropping resistor in the supply line for the LOW SPEED FP RELAY common (Pin 10). 91 and 92 MY vehicles have a jumper that applies full B+ to the supply of the LOW SPEED FP RELAY. All years supply B+ to the HIGH SPEED FP RELAY common via pin 12. The NO contacts of both relays are tied together internally in the box and is output on pin 5. The LOW SPEED FP RELAY is energized by the PCM by applying a ground to Pin 18 (Note: The FP TEST pin on the DLC is connected to this pin). The HIGH SPEED FP RELAY is energized by the PCM by applying a ground to pin 11.

Types D and J:
(93-95 ATX, 94-95 MTX) CCRM has a single FP RELAY. B+ power is supplied to the common terminal via pin 12. The FP RELAY is energized by the PCM (or grounding the FP TEST pin on the DLC) by grounding pin 18.

Cooling Fan

Type M:
(89-93 MTX) Single speed. Input fan power is supplied to pins 1 & 2. A single fan relay is energized by applying an active ground to pin 14. Output switched power is output on pins 3 & 4 to the electric fan.

Type D:
(94-95 MTX) Dual speed cooling fan (dual coil). Input fan power is supplied to pins 3 & 4. LOW SPEED FAN RELAY is energized by a ground on pin 14 and switches power to pins 1 & 2 which is routed to the low speed fan winding. HIGH SPEED FAN RELAY is energized by a ground on pin 17 and switches power to pins 6 & 7 which is routed to the high speed fan winding. Due to an internal switching diode, application of a low on pin 17 will result in BOTH fan relays being energized.

Type J:
(93-95 ATX) Dual fans in parallel with an external low speed dropping resistor. Input power via resistor is applied to pins 1 & 2 to the common terminal of the LOW SPEED FAN RELAY. The relay is energized by applying a ground to pin 14. Switched power is output on pins 3 & 4. Full battery power is input via pins 6 & 7 to the HIGH SPEED FAN RELAY common terminal. The relay is energized by grounding pin 17. Switched power is output on pins 3 & 4.
SHO #1 - 94 ATX aka "Princess". Replaced with a $3000 car back in 2000 before my 16-year-old turned the Princess into one.
SHO #2 - 89 "The Project" Retired at 249K miles to James' place.
SHO # 3 - Another 94 ATX - Daily driver with 238K on it.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 04-17-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Registered

How about this...

I should have an M and I have a J but my fan still kicks on. I thought it wasn't supposed to?

-craig
Old 05-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Registered

93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute

How'd it get a J? Computer swap?

Try to get the oasis report on your car.
It might be that it had a problem for the first owner that was solved at the dealer under warranty. That repair may have entailed a computer/other parts swap.
It's like we all had a premonition that he'd be less stupid some day....:laugh_ti:
23 year old Taurus

Last edited by 93rev2sev; 05-01-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Registered

92inPA will become famous soon enough92inPA will become famous soon enough

hypnotic, Your CCRM is only partially working. Actually you only have the low fan speed working. To get the high fan speed you need to use an "M". Since you are in a southern (warmer) state, I would recommend that you get the correct CCRM. M boxes are very common, so you should have no trouble getting one.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Registered

I plan on it, I heard it kick on the other day and wanted to let everyone know, but I guess it doesn't work properly.. just kinda.

-craig
Old 05-05-2007, 09:32 AM
SHOless In St L

projectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of light

Guys, post troubleshooting situations in the regular forum, not in "stickied" posts.

This thread should be used primairly for reference.

Steve
Old 11-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Registered

1-5-0 SHO is on the right road

I have a 93 ATX. Which pin # is the wire that the computer chip sends the signal to ground out in order to open the butterflies at ~4,000 RPM? I want to install a toggle switch so that I can ground out the wire manually and have the butterflies open all the time when I want it versus having to unplug the vacuum line. That way I can switch between getting good gas mileage vs race time.

My guess is narrowed down to 22 (WOT) but might be also 14 as well. Anyone know?

Last edited by 1-5-0 SHO; 11-19-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Sorta cares

Here is the PCM pinout for a 93 ATX:

As you can see, you want pin 34. It's light green and pink. Hope this helps!

OBTW, this is off the computer, not the ICRM...
The following user says thank you to hawkeye18 for this post:
1-5-0 SHO (11-19-2007)
Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 AM
SHOless In St L

Since you can't follow instructions, I have locked this thread.

Start a new thread in the proper place.

Steve
Old 07-20-2008, 05:10 PM
SHOless In St L

Default Schematics added

Attached.

Click to open pdf file.

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IRCM Code M 89-93 MTX Schematic.pdf (31.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by projectSHO89; 07-20-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Closed Thread