SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 03-01-2004, 11:33 PM

SHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of light
Schrader Valve

I think that is the proper spelling for the fuel pressure valve on the fuel rail. Well I changed my fuel filter this weekend and prior to doing anythign I depressurized the fuel system. I took the cap off of the schrader valve and gas started to come out of it. So I soaked it all up and thought that was strange. Then I changed the filter and pressurized the system without starting the car and gas was (not squirting) but significantly coming out of that valve. So, unless I have the little black plastic cap on tight it leaks gas, if the cap is on it is as dry as can be. I don't think this is normal, do I need a new valve? Are they very hard to replace? Wait, they are prolly discontinued...

Thanx, Doug
99 MBZ 230 Kompressor - 149k
Old 03-02-2004, 12:21 AM
Registered

Electricat is on the right road
That cap is really intended more as a dust cover than as a seal, you need to get the valve to stop leaking.

The plunger part of the valve may just not be seated correctly, try poking at it a little and see if it closes off the leak.

If it still doesn't stop leaking, get a "Schrader valve core tool" from any auto parts store for about $2, and tighten the core a bit with it.

If it still doesn't seal, use the tool to screw the core out, and replace the core. I have used the Schraeder cores that are sold for tires as replacements on fuel systems with no apparent problem, but I'm not sure if they are ok for fuel long-term, so you may want to see if you can get one especially intended for fuel.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Gas is $$ WALK!

NotSoSlowSHO is a splendid oneNotSoSlowSHO is a splendid oneNotSoSlowSHO is a splendid oneNotSoSlowSHO is a splendid oneNotSoSlowSHO is a splendid oneNotSoSlowSHO is a splendid oneNotSoSlowSHO is a splendid one
Quote:
Electricat:
"Schrader valve core tool"
More commonly known as a Valve stem core remover wink

"SHO-less" as of June 2013

Currently occupying a mythical place known as IDAHO.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:39 AM
Registered

haydenm315 is on the right road
Quote:
NotSoSlowSHO:
Quote:
Electricat:
"Schrader valve core tool"
More commonly known as a Valve stem core remover wink
or the I'm gonna give you 4 flat tires and tape a bag with your valve cores to your window tool. evil_gri It hasn't happened yet. I'm still waiting for the perfect victim.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:45 AM
Gas is $$ WALK!

NotSoSlowSHO is a splendid oneNotSoSlowSHO is a splendid oneNotSoSlowSHO is a splendid oneNotSoSlowSHO is a splendid oneNotSoSlowSHO is a splendid oneNotSoSlowSHO is a splendid oneNotSoSlowSHO is a splendid one
rofl

Back in high school, there was this a-hole teacher that nobody liked, and well myself and a friend...

I wont say any more finger