SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 08-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Registered

mishman is on the right road
Default crank position sensor

I'm doing a front 60k right now, and was wondering where the best place to buy a CPS was? Autozone has one for $89. I don't want to buy from a dealer because I am trying to save some money. How long do these crank sensors usually last? I was thinking about not replacing it at first, but realized that was a bad idea after seeing how much work it is to get to it.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:56 PM
i was wrong

Minnesho is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman
I'm doing a front 60k right now, and was wondering where the best place to buy a CPS was? Autozone has one for $89. I don't want to buy from a dealer because I am trying to save some money. How long do these crank sensors usually last? I was thinking about not replacing it at first, but realized that was a bad idea after seeing how much work it is to get to it.

Your doing a front 60k, but might not replace the sensor because its too hard to get to? if you're doing the rest of the 60k already, the sensor is right there man. the only additional thing to do to get to the sensor is pull the crank sprocket.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Sr. SHO Engr.

sdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesho
the only additional thing to do to get to the sensor is pull the crank sprocket.
You don't even have to do that. Just rotate the crank so that the CPS is aligned with one of the slots in the vane wheel. Use a 1/4" drive with a 1/4" socket and a Phillips head bit to be able to provide enough torque and pressure to remove the two screws that retain the CPS without stripping them.

A trick to help install the new sensor is to drop a length of 2-conductor speaker wire from the top of the intake manifold, on the forward/front side of the fuel rails, down past the water pump (much easier with the pump out for replacement). Now remove the white clip from the sensor connector and tie the speaker wire ends through the slot in the connector. Now carefully pull the connector and cable up through the intake. Slide the white clip back on the connector and attach the connector to the other half of the cable. Rotate the crank back the TDC position before installing the timing belt.

Options to buy? Ther are others (RockAuto.com, NAPA, CarParts.com, etc.). Just shop around.

Wells SU242 AutoZone/AZ.com $56.99
Borg-Warner CSS54 O’Reilly $55.99
In-car Track Video: Laps at TWS

Last edited by sdpatt; 08-24-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Unknown

Xs SHO 1 is on the right road
If you're going to do all that work, you might as well replace the $7 main front seal, so you will need to remove that crank dampner and sprocket....
Old 08-25-2006, 02:50 AM
The Keg Rider

LeddZepp8687 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman
:bsflag:

I just bought one from autozone on monday. I just Looked at the reciept. Cost me $60.21, and thats with tax.

I dont know why prices would vary, But I am postive this is what I paid.

1994 SHO- EH Manifold, BBBs, Magnaflows, Walbro FP, FWI, Taylor wires, Tokicos, Moogs, Brakes, sticky tires, Hi-Stall.

2005 Ford Escape XLT- 3.0 Duratec, 4X4, Flowmaster catback, K&N Intake.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:46 AM
Registered

K-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeK-Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I just bought one from Autozone for $56 something plus tax. That reminds me, I need to go pick it up.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:41 AM
SE 300 , S 500

Endri_SHO is on the right road

and also i bought one at the dealer for $ 98 + taxes

93 Black/Green/MTX. SOLD
95 Silver/Gray/MTX, totaled after 2 months :(

93 Silver/Black/MTX

91 Mercedes 190E JUNKED
93 MERCEDES 300SE, BLACK/BLACK :( SOLD

"94 MERCEDES S420 WHITE/BLACK, SNOW FLAKE ( TOTALED)

98 MERCEDES S420 BLACK/BLACK THE BEAST
Old 08-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Registered

SHO Type U is on the right road

I've called different AutoZones giving me a wide range of prices from $56 to $100, I went with the one at $56+ tax. Why does the price vary from store to store? They must have classified it wrong.