SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 08-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Registered

poltergiest is on the right road
Default Can a bad flywheel cause my car to not start

I replaced my starter a couple of weeks ago and i noticed that there was some pieces missing from it that had chiped off. I just pulled my starter back out because my car wouldn't start and i noticed that a bunch of nicks in my starter and flywheel. No i have two questions, 1) if my flywheel is missing teeth could that keep it from starting and 2) is there any easy way to replace it. i've tried searching but the only things i get are different flywheel brands.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Dragon Leader

Bizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond repute

1) I would imagine so if it were missing enough teeth the car wouldn't start. It would make a most wretched noise when trying to start too. (like when the car is running and you try to start it anyway) One or two teeth missing wouldn't keep it from starting that I'm aware of.

2) The only way to replace the flywheel is to drop the trans. It's not that difficult unless you're limited on space, proper tools and equipment.

How many is your flywheel missing?

Official SHOForum Wet Blanket and Killer of Naughty Threads

Life isn't ups and downs, hills and valleys, but rather 2 railroad rails running parallel -- There's always something GOOD in your life and always something BAD in your life -- Something to ask God for help with, something to praise & give thanks to Him for.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Sr. SHO Engr.

sdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to all

The mechanism by which the engine would be unable to start due to a bad flywheel would be that if enough teeth were missing in a section to allow the starter pinion to spin without touching any teeth. You would still hear the starter spinning and possibly that horrible grinding noise that Beth mentioned as the teeth were destroyed even farther.

You didn't state whether your car was a manual or automatic transaxle. To move the flywheel to a section with some teeth, just move the car a bit and release the clutch while in gear to rotate the engine and flywheel. Once the engine is spinning, the starter will probably be able to span the gap with the missing teeth and crank the engine enough to start it up. There will be that crunching noise as the starter grabs the first teeth after the gap - taking pieces of them off the flywheel.
In-car Track Video: Laps at TWS
Old 08-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Registered

poltergiest is on the right road

sorry i have a 91 manual transmission. also if my flywheel teeth are breaking off could this cause any other problems with my car.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Registered

rangerj will become famous soon enough

Are you sure the starter is mounted properly and are you sure you had the right starter. The SHO starter for your year should have 12 teath on the gear. If the starter was not mounted and aligned properly that would explain why teeth were broken. You can remove the starter and mark the flywheel teeth and turn the engine over by hand and determine how many teeth are damaged or broken. The only way to solve the problem is to remove the flywheel and either replace it or have a new ring gear installed on the old one. In the inrerim each time the starter and the broken teeth are in alignment the starter will spin but not engage the flywheel. Follow SDPATTS advice when this happens, or always park on a hill!