SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Guides (For How-to guides, NOT how-to questions)

Old 01-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Power Hungry

T.O_SHO is a jewel in the roughT.O_SHO is a jewel in the roughT.O_SHO is a jewel in the rough
Default How to pull the SPOUT connector, With pics.

Ok, so here is a seemingly simple write up on how to pull your SPOUT connector so you can pass your emission / smog test with ease. While the connector is pulled your car will feel like it has a loss of power, and is running with about 100 HP. That is normal when the connector is unplugged. I had a hard time actually finding it, but sure enough, it is down there.

Ok, First things first, remove the black plactic shroud where the EEC self test and ABS test are located (the SPOUT will be in the area directly under those 2 test "plugs"). Generally located behind the engine on the passenger side... there should be 3 plastic fastners, undo those and it should come right off. that frees up tons of space for you to get your hand down there (as space is a little tighter in the MTX)

Once the shroud is off, just make sure the spout is not right under your nose, the connector looks like this (This is the ACTUAL connector, this is what your looking for)

If its not visable, you need to dig a little deeper. Mine was simply hiding behind one of the several wiring harnesses that are back there. Its best to get a flashlight down there because that will allow you to see around or under some harnesses, Dont give up, it is there...

There are a few connectors down there, you re looking for this one (this picture shows you how big it is in relation to my finger)

If you still cant find it, just stick your hand in there and start feeling around...It will be like using Braille but once you feel any connector, try to take a look at it, feeling for the one I pictured above.

Once you find it, in order to unplug the grey "jumper" you need to pull apart the tabs that hold it in, which is easy. The tabs are long, at one end they are holding in the connector, and at another end you push down on it and it will make the tab rise out...and then you hold the connector with one hand, and pull the grey part with the other. They should just come right out, if it doesnt, one of the tabs is still locked in...

This is what the jumper you are trying to take out looks like:

and this is what the empty connector looks like:

When its time to put the connector back in, just simply pop it in until it clicks, and cant be pulled out easily. Also make sure you insert it the proper way up, there should be a white marking on the connector and the grey peice itself, the 2 white marking must be pointing the same way.

If you have any info you want to add, feel free to do so, its all welcomed...

Also, just so this thread can be found easy,here are some common search terms so this thread comes up in the search

failed emission
failed smog
spout
pulling spout
NOx

Hope this helps.

Past: 1993 White MTX

Last edited by T.O_SHO; 12-14-2006 at 01:05 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to T.O_SHO For This Useful Post:
joereef (03-10-2014), Randall (01-26-2011), SHO GoDz 89 (03-24-2009), Shoman594 (08-20-2008), tubjub (09-07-2008), V8SHO97 (08-15-2008), zak (09-30-2008)
Old 01-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Clean Your Shorts!

NJSHO is a jewel in the roughNJSHO is a jewel in the roughNJSHO is a jewel in the rough

Just as a note mine had a black jumper thing not a white/gray so look for shape and not color.

'91 White/Black

'05 Daytona Blue Performance Edition Z (stock)
"Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week..." Jayz
Old 01-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Registered

etc1006 is on the right road

Also make sure to put all these test connections back where they were. Or wire tie them up so as not to end up a melted blob on the manifold... With running problems. Do I hear a another vote for T.O. to have a sticky?
Old 01-21-2006, 10:47 PM

Ishodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid one

Thanks Marc. I give it a sticky. I donno why it came up with me editing the above post though.
Drag Vid

Old 01-21-2006, 11:55 PM
[]=[] []

ManySHOs is a splendid oneManySHOs is a splendid oneManySHOs is a splendid oneManySHOs is a splendid oneManySHOs is a splendid oneManySHOs is a splendid oneManySHOs is a splendid one

Great post. I found out recently that I had been disconnecting the wrong plug. Now I wonder what that empty connector at the firewall is. I'll have to snap a picture!

I suspect that I'll pass emissions here with the +20'ed 3.2 but I'm not going to take any chances. I need to get it smogged by the end of the month.

Ian

93M Tortoise Slow
02M Audi A6 2.7 TT Sport package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoaz View Post
Yeah, Hennessey making noise about the SHO is about as exciting as Earl Scheib saying he'll paint one up all special and everything.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:25 AM
Zoom Zoom

SASHO91 is a splendid oneSASHO91 is a splendid oneSASHO91 is a splendid oneSASHO91 is a splendid oneSASHO91 is a splendid oneSASHO91 is a splendid oneSASHO91 is a splendid one

ALSO, there is another SPOUT connector. It is located by the ABS Pump. Its fairly easy to find from under the car...
Old 01-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Power Hungry

T.O_SHO is a jewel in the roughT.O_SHO is a jewel in the roughT.O_SHO is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the sticky Marcel, I think a guide like this was needed...
Old 01-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Registered

Mac is on the right road

What effects would this have on a turbo'd car and could you pass with the connecteror pulled and catless y?
*cough*New car?*cough*
Old 05-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Registered

brianksfb is on the right road

would this give my car a 212 code?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Power Hungry

212 (M) Ignition TACH signal was erratic (module/wiring) or SPOUT circuit fault - Ignition Systems

I dont think Ive ever heard of pulling the SPOUT giving you a code (I know I could be wrong here) ... But it could be possible seeing as how that code is spout related...
Old 05-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Pluggin' away

Rockledge will become famous soon enoughRockledge will become famous soon enough

Just to clarify: Loss of a valid SPOUT signal causes the DIS Module to automatically turn the ignition coils on and off using the PIP signal. This results in a fixed spark timing and dwell (10 degrees BTDC).
Old 06-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Registered

haydenm315 is on the right road

Well... my car has failed emissions twice so far. No codes, except for an O2 sensor burp a couple months ago. Hasn't come back either. (40k on it, tested with a propane torch and meter with proper responses observed... no further codes.) I refuse to do a tuneup when it's 15k away. I get over 400miles out of each tank, and add a quart of oil every 1000 miles. (Rear main is giving up the goat but timing it conveniently for clutch time).

I cease to understand how I can get over 400 miles per tank and still have the getup that I do. I'm more mature and dont' really test it anymore though. I do the 15,27,35,44 shift pattern whenever I can. I do get stuck in rush hour on the morning and afternoon commute on a routine basis which only hurts my 400+ miles per tank more. My best guess is I'm failing emmissions at low rpms because I dont' have an LPM and I have cams, exhaust, intake, etc..... They really bog the crap out of my car during testing. I'm only guessing my engine isn't spinning fast enough to burn the fuel being dumped in the cylinders, but anyways I'm rambling on.

Tomorrow I go back for revenge, thanks to detailed spout connector directions. Maybe now my car won't jump off the rollers hahaha. I'm sure it will still shake the waiting booth. The driver is going to have to pay...... thanks to my mufflers touching my newly installed but never used towhitch. haha

My graphs are usually annoyingly horrid... to the point where I blame it on the tester. I'm off the charts at engagement or before my wheels spin. I think the testers suck in general as drivers, but then again, your car should pass no matter who is driving it.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:12 AM
Mike is a L O S E R

EMB2580 is on the right road

Heh, my owner's manual says, 17, 27, 35, 42...odd.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Registered

inverse1216 is on the right road

will this work on a car without cats?

93 SHO mtx-front and rear stb's, reinforced mm, hd endlinks, alsfb, ss catless hi-flow y pipe,155lph pump, dual core rad, cai k&n, extrude hone runners, bbb's, h-brace, jose fernandez short shifter, adj. control arms, intrax springs, moog all around, bias plugs, south bend stage 2 clutch, shosource lightened flywheel, ceremic tob, clear signals, and msr 17x7s
Old 10-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Power Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by inverse1216
Ive heard of several people pass the test with the spout pulled and no cats. Just be careful if theres a visual inspection.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Live to Drive

platoribs is a name known to allplatoribs is a name known to allplatoribs is a name known to allplatoribs is a name known to allplatoribs is a name known to allplatoribs is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by inverse1216
Yes. But why Andj? Your not driving around are you???

95 MTX, 92K miles, Quaife, Gen3 subframe, Ingalls rear arms, H-brace, subframe connectors, 24/26 bars, new bushings and bearings throughout, cut Eibach/monroe/front/back, 11.6" brakes x4, equal length y-pipe, SHOsource catback, Cobra take off mufflers, rolling on Tbird SC wheels wrapped with BFGoodrich KDW 225/50-16.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Pluggin' away

Rockledge will become famous soon enoughRockledge will become famous soon enough

Just wanted to confirm another emissions test passed (after one failure) as a result of the SPOUT connector being pulled. Let's just say that NOx levels almost miraculously decreased by a solid 70%.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:27 PM
SHO n00b

Team Dave is awesome!Team Dave is awesome!Team Dave is awesome!Team Dave is awesome!Team Dave is awesome!

Another confirmation here. Failed smog yesterday, and passed today after pulling the SPOUT connector. Car didn't feel too terribly slow.. I was worried the guy would notice it feeling slower. Felt nearly the same down low, so he didn't even notice. My numbers are as follows:

Yesterday (FAILED)
-HC @ 15 mph: Max 85, Measured 44
-CO% @ 15 mph: Max 0.50, Measured 0.04
-NO @ 15 mph: Max 695, Measured 706 <- FAIL

-HC @ 25 mph: Max 50, Measured 39
-CO% @ 25 mph: Max 0.47, Measured 0.04
-NO @ 25 mph: Max 717, Measured 708 <- CLOSE!!

And Today
-HC @ 15 mph: Max 85, Measured 26
-CO% @ 15 mph: Max 0.50, Measured 0.02
-NO @ 15 mph: Max 695, Measured 353

-HC @ 25 mph: Max 50, Measured 22
-CO% @ 25 mph: Max 0.47, Measured 0.02
-NO @ 25 mph: Max 717, Measured 249

Last edited by Team Dave; 05-31-2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Added smileys! LOL
Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 AM
SHOless In St L

projectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of light
Default SPOUT Plugs/ OCTANE ADJUST Jumper

There are two SPOUT plugs:

SPOUT #1 is the one located between the DIS module and the PCM (electrically) and physically near the CID sensor. Removal of that jumper removes PCM control from the DIS module, losing both advance and computer-controlled dwell. Base timing defaults to a fixed 10 BTDC and fixed dwell, all timing comes from the PIP signal, and the engine will run but will be a pooch.

SPOUT #2 is physically located by the coil and is the "OCTANE ADJ" jumper. It is a direct signal input to the PCM. When removed, it tells the PCM to pull 3 degrees of advance from the timing globally so that pre-ignition is not as likely, especially in the event of knock sensor failure.

Steve
SHO #1 - 94 ATX aka "Princess". Replaced with a $3000 car back in 2000 before my 16-year-old turned the Princess into one.
SHO #2 - 89 "The Project" Retired at 249K miles to James' place.
SHO # 3 - Another 94 ATX - Daily driver with 238K on it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to projectSHO89 For This Useful Post:
AREA 91 (12-10-2008), Axianator (12-31-2008), baySHO_510 (10-03-2008), frosho (05-25-2010), qiksho (06-17-2008), Randall (01-26-2011), Slo-Sho (06-05-2008), zak (09-30-2008)
Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 PM
backfromthedead

SHOOFF508 is unknown at this point

if i remember correctly pulling the spout produced a 5xx somthing code on my 94. i simply pulled the bulb out of the cluster and besides that she passed with flying colors w/ the spout pulled out.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Registered

Dinosauro is unknown at this point

So, what is the function of the "spout plugs", Nos. 1 & 2 ? The Ford 92 wiring diagram labels No. 1 as a "shorting plug" and No. 2 as a "shorting bar" ? Huh ?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Registered

tardboy21 is spectacular!tardboy21 is spectacular!

worked again! got a used 92 SHO, 171k miles. Failed the first time in NJ
Max NOx = 970 NOx Read = 2741
pulled the connector
Max NOx - 970 NOx Read = 959 (15 degrees cooler in the morning as well)
Old 09-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Registered

sperold is a beacon of lightsperold is a beacon of lightsperold is a beacon of lightsperold is a beacon of lightsperold is a beacon of light

Thanks for this valuable information for the people in Ontario Canada. I have looked for this connector in the past, after hearing about how effective it is..... but could never find it.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Registered

zak is a jewel in the roughzak is a jewel in the roughzak is a jewel in the roughzak is a jewel in the rough

A request of those that reply to this thread - can you indicate all three emissions levels (before and after), as well as which shorting plug that you pull?

I removed the OCTANE ADJ/shorting bar as currently I have HC at 66 (100 limit), .3 CO (on a .5 limit) and 1700 NOx on a 1100 limit. The engine ran a little rough but smoothed out after a few minutes. However, the Check Engine light is on - (turns out it wasthe MAF plug duh) will having a check engine light showing on a 95 MTX cause it to fail automatically (in CT) - no, it will not effect an OBD-I cEEC-IV car in CT?

Last edited by zak; 12-30-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Pluggin' away

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak View Post
A request of those that reply to this thread - can you indicate all three emissions levels (before and after), as well as which shorting plug that you pull?

I removed the OCTANE ADJ/shorting bar as currently I have HC at 66 (100 limit), .3 CO (on a .5 limit) and 1700 NOx on a 1100 limit. The engine ran a little rough but smoothed out after a few minutes. However, the Check Engine light is on - will having a check engine light showing on a 95 MTX scause it to fail automatically (in CT)?
As far as I know, they only go by a sniff test on EEC-IV vehicles here in CT. I know they won't pull codes if the CEL is off. But if the CEL is lit up like a christmas tree then that might lead to something different.

Have you tried clearing the codes and CEL by disconnecting the battery for 5-10 minutes? If so, how soon after being cleared does the CEL come back on? What I'm suggesting is that maybe you could get it to stay off long enough to have the test performed.

As noted above, pulling the OCT ADJ plug retards spark timing by only a few degrees, and that small decrease applies straight across the board. So it may not be enough to decrease NOx to a level that's under the limits, especially at higher revs when the timing is being dynamically increased by the PCM at a greater rate.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 AM
Taurus Homeland

Denny is a beacon of lightDenny is a beacon of lightDenny is a beacon of lightDenny is a beacon of lightDenny is a beacon of light

To clarify, will the Check Engine Light come on with the SPOUT pulled?
1992 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2 MTX Black
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Registered

zak is a jewel in the roughzak is a jewel in the roughzak is a jewel in the roughzak is a jewel in the rough

My check engine light turned out to be the MAF, which I had disconnected to improve access to the "3 degree retard" shorting plug. This 3 degree plug did not have much effect on NOx levels, but then again the MAF was unplugged so take this FWIW.

I had to run a couple of tanks of premium and then pull the shorting bar behind the intake near the passenger side of the firewall.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 AM
SHOless In St L

projectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
To clarify, will the Check Engine Light come on with the SPOUT pulled?

No, it will not.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

supra dave is unknown at this point

dose any one have the part number for the SPOUT? or know what ford may call it so i can talk to the parts guy at ford?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Registered

cRaZySHO. will become famous soon enough

+1 on the SPOUT working. Previous emissions test showed 23XX NOX. Pulled the SPOUT, car ran like an SE, not an SHO lol. NOX dramatically reduced to 312 PPM, allowance was 1167 PPM.

I have a strong feeling that a car with no cats, with faux heat shields welded on (visual inspection), a pulled SPOUT, and 'clean' tune would pass emissions no problem.

1995 SHO 3.2 MTX
Moonlight, Quaife, Koni/Linears, Full suspension
2002 Mustang GT 5spd. (For Sale)
12.79@104
1982 Mustang LX Hatch (SOLD)
351W, built to $h!t
11.50@121---->motor
10.28@134---->spray
1995 Quaifed MTX 3.0L (SOLD)
Full bolt-on BONANZA!
1994 LS VTEC Turbo Teggy (STOLEN)
320hp@7800RPM