SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 12-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Who's SHO Daddy

LookAtThatSHO is on the right road
Default Low Coolant Light's On

I've checked the coolant level, seems fine. My 94MTX had the same problem, but the result was a crack on the top of the coolant reservoir. I see no visible cracks in this one though? Is there something else that would trigger the light to come on? Maybe its time to flush the radiator?

1995 White/Mocha MTX: 188k
CURRENTLY FOR SALE
Mods: SHO Shop Catted Y-Pipe, Dynomax SuperTurbo Cat-Back Exhaust, Mark VIII 80mm MAF, LPM Chip, P&P Intake, BBBs, Rear Strut Tower Brace, Silencer Cone Removed, Coolant/TB Bypass, KYB Struts
1993 Black/Black MTX: 124k
Mods: K&N Air Filter
MySpace
AIM: LookAtThatSHO
Old 12-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Registered

MelectroK is on the right road

Pull it out and clean it anyways, Mine didnt look dirty but I cleaned and havent had a false warning yet.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Registered

Randall is on the right road

I can also tell you that my light stopped coming on when I cleaned the two electrodes with a wire brush.

'92 SHO MTX wh/bl, 186,000, '96 brakes, Eibachs & GR-2's, relayed lighting, 3.2 swap w/ 3.0 cams, rear headrests, TSW hockenheims, SHOShop catless Y, custom welded exhaust, lots of electrical mods

WOW, I need to update these pics, I am down to two cars now!

Old 01-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Who's SHO Daddy

Well, I found the culprit as to what was causing the low coolant light to be triggered. A couple of downshifts into third at about 60 on a Friday night blew the radiator completely. $300 but won't have to worry about the coolant system for quite some time! It's funny though, how the shop I brought it to just 'happened' to have an SHO radiator on backorder from a previous customer who had never came to pick it up! And this is in the wayyyy backcountry of upstate NY!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:45 AM
name's JUSTIN

HoustinoJillian is a jewel in the roughHoustinoJillian is a jewel in the roughHoustinoJillian is a jewel in the rough

i dont see how you could have checked the coolant level and it was fine? the sensor's in the overflow reservoir, if your readiator was leaking the reservoir would have been low/empty and the sensor dry. if it was submerged, and you were still getting the light, its a separate problem than the radiator blowing out. in that case you should probably still clean the sensor.
2007 Magnetic Grey Prius Package #5, purchased 2/25/09

LED tails thread
Past:
titanium 89- 193K, stock RIP 8/03
white 95 MTX- 143K, stock SOLD 6/4/05
moonlight blue 95 3.2MTX ~116K, not stock SOLD 1/23/09
Old 01-10-2006, 12:54 PM
[]=[] []

ManySHOs is a splendid oneManySHOs is a splendid oneManySHOs is a splendid oneManySHOs is a splendid oneManySHOs is a splendid oneManySHOs is a splendid oneManySHOs is a splendid one

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookAtThatSHO
Well, I found the culprit as to what was causing the low coolant light to be triggered. A couple of downshifts into third at about 60 on a Friday night blew the radiator completely. $300 but won't have to worry about the coolant system for quite some time! It's funny though, how the shop I brought it to just 'happened' to have an SHO radiator on backorder from a previous customer who had never came to pick it up! And this is in the wayyyy backcountry of upstate NY!
Huh? Since when did downshifting blow out radiators?

Ian

93M Tortoise Slow
02M Audi A6 2.7 TT Sport package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoaz View Post
Yeah, Hennessey making noise about the SHO is about as exciting as Earl Scheib saying he'll paint one up all special and everything.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Registered

laxmax327 is on the right road

lol, i was thinking the same exact thing...
Old 01-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Sho Ed

Sh03d is on the right road

Clogged and water pump going at 7000+ rpms forced to much coolant in and ka boom?

Car-3.3HD/HC, Bizzy'd Trans, BBB, Extrude hone runners, Ported, 155lph pump, Stage 2 SPEC, Gen3 bushings, TPR, Moogs/Tokicos, Y-pipe, Rod shifter, 2.5" exhaust, Police grill, Plus hood and running strong.
On the table-Stage 1 cams, TwEECer.
Sold!
Old 01-10-2006, 03:17 PM
name's JUSTIN

HoustinoJillian is a jewel in the roughHoustinoJillian is a jewel in the roughHoustinoJillian is a jewel in the rough

not to hijack/ be off topic, just in case this turns up in a search - i had a low coolant problem that was NOT the radiator, turnes out the reservoir tank was cracked. fixed that and STILL had a leak. turns out when the tank was replaced, one of the hoses got a small leak, only showed up when the system was pressurized, and wasn't enough to cause puddling at all. now thats all buttoned up, and hopefully all is well and good.
theres 3 ways to check for a coolant leak that i know of:.
1. visual, pretty obvious, if youve got leaks/drips/puddles you know where they're coming from.
2. a UV dye kit, an additive to the coolant that does nothing to internals, but will show up under UV light to pinpoint a small leak or vapor leak that doesn't cause visible condensation or dripping
3. pressurize the system. couldnt get my hands on #2, and #1 didnt work, so i had to have it pressurized. worked right away.

hope that helped/ will hep someone in the future
Old 01-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Sr. SHO Engr.

sdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to all

The SHO uses the same radiator as the regular Taurus. It should run you no more than about $150.
In-car Track Video: Laps at TWS
Old 01-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Who's SHO Daddy

Justin, I believed the coolant level was alright after adding coolant directly to the radiator until it was full. I wasn't aware that not having any coolant in the reservoir would trigger the sensor. I know now, and as of replacing the new radiator, there's definitely coolant in the reservoir

Scott, the regular Taurii radiators can be installed in the SHOs. But there are a few extra holes that need to be plugged in order for everything to work (atleast this is what the shop told me). The total cost was $140 for the radiator, $25 for the coolant, and $110 for two hours of labor. I would have easily done the job myself, but I didn't have access to a garage and it has been nearly 20 degrees outside here fore the past month.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:11 AM
name's JUSTIN

ah cool, sounds like you've gotten everything more than squared away. doesnt look like you got screwed too bad for the labor, i've never heard the line about extra holes to fill up, however.