SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 03-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Registered

MerkXRTurbo will become famous soon enoughMerkXRTurbo will become famous soon enough
Default Twin Turbo SHO transplant

I own a 1989 Merkur XR4Ti and I am looking to find an old Tuarus SHO V6 engine to rebuild, twin turbo, and put it into my car. Are there any aftermarket rod options? Does anybody know of a place in which I can get low compression pistons, as well as new rings, cam seals, main bearings, ect?
Old 03-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Registered

todras will become famous soon enoughtodras will become famous soon enough

Why not do a Duratec single turbo?

http://www.key-ideas.com/DavidGodfreyPage.htm

Do what David did and add an Arizona Dyno Chip turbo kit.

You can get a low mileage 3L for about $4-500. Use the rest for a turbo kit from ADC or talk to warmonger on contour.org about his homemade turbo kit. Not sure how handy you are. A lot cheaper than doing a Yamaha since the parts are a lot more plentiful.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Registered

MerkXRTurbo will become famous soon enoughMerkXRTurbo will become famous soon enough

It will definately be cheaper to get the Yamaha V6 and I have always been a fan of that engine. I can do any mechanical work and custom design myself, but fabrication is where I'm lacking, so I plan on having headers, bellhousing adapter, and other parts made at a machine shop.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Registered

todras will become famous soon enoughtodras will become famous soon enough

You can get a Yamahamer for cheaper than that with 10k on the clock?! Where? Also what about parts for it. The Duratec is still in production. Only makes 20 less hp too. A lot more info on F/I on a Duratec too since ADC makes a kit that is used on Contours and Cougars. How many F/I SHO's? Not many.

You might want to search the F/I Forum.

http://www.shoforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Thread on low comp. pistons
Old 03-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Studly dood

Shoaz is brilliant!Shoaz is brilliant!Shoaz is brilliant!Shoaz is brilliant!Shoaz is brilliant!Shoaz is brilliant!Shoaz is brilliant!Shoaz is brilliant!Shoaz is brilliant!Shoaz is brilliant!Shoaz is brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerkXRTurbo
I own a 1989 Merkur XR4Ti and I am looking to find an old Tuarus SHO V6 engine to rebuild, twin turbo, and put it into my car. Are there any aftermarket rod options? Does anybody know of a place in which I can get low compression pistons, as well as new rings, cam seals, main bearings, ect?
Try SHOnutperformance.com for a lot of this stuff. Josh specializes in forced-induction SHO motors and if he doesn't list something he can probably get it or know where he can.

There are low-comp pistons available for SHO motors, he probably lists them but you can check.

Ready for the zombie apocalypse.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:12 PM
SHOForum Sponsor

LOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud of
Cool

Spme one has already done what you ar asking though they had a lot of custom work. They have two throttle bodies among other things.

The SHO motor is a very strong motor stock with low comp ression pistons it can handle over 500hp. You can get SHO motors pretty cheap in fact I will be pulling mine soon and selling it.

Quote:
You can get a Yamahamer for cheaper than that with 10k on the clock?! Where? Also what about parts for it. The Duratec is still in production. Only makes 20 less hp too. A lot more info on F/I on a Duratec too since ADC makes a kit that is used on Contours and Cougars. How many F/I SHO's? Not many.
There is quite lot of information on supercharging SHOs and a good amount of information on turbo SHOs. The difference between the two is not much in terms of supporting mods and programming.

If you need any information on the drivetrain I can help a bit on that.

-Performance: Turbo 297hp 279ftlb
-Drivetrain: CM Clutch,SHONut Mounts,QUAIFE
-Suspension: SS Coilovers, 24/26mm,Poly,Gen3,H-Brace, Subframe
-Brakes: Cobra front, 11.6 rear
-Looks: Sound System,Speedhut,Pilot Fogs,Clear Corners,Gen2 Console, CF Cowl Hood & Trunk
SHO Source
Old 03-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Registered

luigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid one

There have been low comp. pistons made for a few SHO's from Ross, JE, and Wiseco. I'm sure you can get stronger rods through any of those mfg's and I'm sure Josh at shonutperformance.com can get any of these parts and more. IIRC I think Scat has made a custom billet crank if you're willing to pony up the big$$. Deaconblue here has had some custom internal work done on a naturally aspirated motor to include aftermarket higher comp. pistons and stroked it a little-- either with a different height piston, rod or crank work. I forget the exact particulars.

1994 SHO MTX in rare green
Old 03-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Registered

stilov is on the right road

or I built my own custom turbo for my contour...and I am in the process of doing a forged duratec...that's why I am selling the SHO to finish my other project.