SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Suspension, Brake Systems, & Body

Old 05-28-2002, 12:38 AM
Registered

jcostantino is on the right road
Rebuild brake proportioning valve?

I have a sticking brake bias valve, is it possible to rebuild it? I believe the pins are frozen into the valve itself.

Jeff
1995 ATX - In Now: Braided Brake Lines, Lo-Tek Triple Gauge Pod with Water temp, Oil Pres and Volts, GM Front Strut Tower Brace, Coneless, K&N Panel Filter, / Coming Soon: Subframe Connectors, Subframe Bushings, 96 Brake Upgrade / Eventually: Koni's and Intrax's / New Parts: Thermostat, ATX Rebuild, TPS (1999), CKP, CPS, Fuel Pump, ICM, Plug Well Gaskets, Plugs & Wires, Battery Cables, Battery (2001), Heads Leak Tested, Head Gaskets, Radiator, Thermostat, Timing Belt, ICM (Stolen) (2002)

Old 05-28-2002, 11:33 PM
too many shos

RStalveyARFF will become famous soon enoughRStalveyARFF will become famous soon enough
you can get new valves I believe. They screw into the proportioning valve block. Either that or go junkyard shopping. Any taurus has the valves.
1997 Ebony Satin/Gray
2000 Suzuki GSX-R 750
2003 Yamaha RX-1
2004 F350 Lariat PSD A5
2010 Polaris Sportsman 550
Old 05-29-2002, 11:55 AM
Registered

jcostantino is on the right road
I'll see if I can find a used valve around town here... I guess that I'd just need to clean it up real good and replace the o-rings..

Jeff
Old 05-31-2002, 08:33 AM
Dragon Leader

Bizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond reputeBizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
jcostantino:
I'll see if I can find a used valve around town here... I guess that I'd just need to clean it up real good and replace the o-rings..

Jeff
Firstly, I wouldn't buy a used one. They're only about $80 from Ford Parts Network new. You'll play hell in getting one that isn't rusted all to crap unless it's from a southern kept car.

Secondly, there was a federal law passed that stipulates that it's illegal for a bone yard to sell them used. It's a safety issue.

If you really insist on getting a used one, I've got one you can have for parts or whatever. Just email me your addy. The outer connecting rod and bracket are pretty much toast, but the valve itself is good.

Official SHOForum Wet Blanket and Killer of Naughty Threads

Life isn't ups and downs, hills and valleys, but rather 2 railroad rails running parallel -- There's always something GOOD in your life and always something BAD in your life -- Something to ask God for help with, something to praise & give thanks to Him for.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Registered

pete c is on the right road
I took my proportioning valve apart today. One side seems to work fine. With the valve screwed all the way in you can depress the plunger maybe a sixteenth of an inch. When this is done the flow, using compressed air, is greatly increased. The other side does not move more than a few thousandths when screwed all the way in and flow increase is negligible. The problem is with the valve, not the body, sonce it works the same, either side.

I inspected each valve and found that with the good one, the aluminum piece at the end slides with respect to the sleel sleeve with the 2 holes. This movement appears to be what allows fluid flow. With the bad one, there is no similar movement.

I worked it around with carb cleaner and brake cleaner, but there appears to be no improvement.

I stopped by the local ford dealer and he says the prop. valve is no longer available.

I will take a look at ford parts network.

Any of you guys out there that have installed plugs wanna part with your valves? If so, PM me please.

Thanks,

Pete
Old 05-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Registered

Don89SHO is on the right road
I replaced mine on Monday along with the brake line. My brothers discount from the Lincoln Dealership he works at made it $60. I replaced the rotor (down to rivets)and caliper the week before cause the drivers rear brake was not releasing cuss . His attempt to "fix" the proportioning valve (wacking the pistons w/a mallet to unfreeze them) didn't work. My advise, Bizzys absolutely right, just replace it; Cheap, Available and the same amount of work. Besides, its your brakes, if one thing needs to work right on your car, its them.

<small>[ May 09, 2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Don89SHO ]</small>
Old 05-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Registered

SHOZ123 is brilliant!SHOZ123 is brilliant!SHOZ123 is brilliant!SHOZ123 is brilliant!SHOZ123 is brilliant!SHOZ123 is brilliant!SHOZ123 is brilliant!SHOZ123 is brilliant!SHOZ123 is brilliant!SHOZ123 is brilliant!SHOZ123 is brilliant!
It can be eliminated by flaring the ends of the brake lines and inserting a coupler. Do not do this if there is no ABS.

2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0L track

Quote:
We have an Insolvent nation
We have Insolvent banks
And then we have the Insolvent nation bailing out the Insolvent banks
Old 05-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Registered

NorthernSHO is on the right road
Quote:
SHOZ123:
It can be eliminated by flaring the ends of the brake lines and inserting a coupler. Do not do this if there is no ABS.
My thoughts exactly. I had mine removed about two months ago as mine was good and frozen and had my friend Thomas cut it out and insert a coupler. No more proportioning valve and no more worries. The car stops just as well if not better than it ever has. thumb

1994 Red ATX
Rebuilt Tranny with Transgo
Full 60k complete Sept 2002
Ran 15.51 @ 92mph the day before the tranny went...doh!
Dynoed 181hp & 178lb. ft. torque stock

Upgrades:

Tinted 15% all around
80mm MAF with Ted B. LPM
96 Brake Upgrade with Removed Brake Bias Valve
155lph Walbro Fuel Pump
Removed Fender Box with K&N Panel Filter
Summit Turbo Mufflers and Tips
Full Length SFCs

Winter Project: 1994 Mazda Miata with Mustang 5.0L V8 and T5
Old 05-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Ford Nut

djsSHO is on the right road
Does anyone have the part # so when I go to the dealer I don't have to deal with a blank stare if the counterhelp is less than informed?

TIA!
'94 ATX SHO 130K
'06 Mustang GT 6K
'03 24V Taurus 83K

'93 ATX SHO 147k - Gone
'03 Sonic Blue SVT Focus 14k - Gone
Old 05-10-2003, 12:18 PM

Ishodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid one
E6DZ-2B547-A
Is what Josh has for Sale at Shonutpreformance

<small>[ May 10, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: ishodu ]</small>
Drag Vid

Old 05-12-2003, 11:23 AM
Ford Nut

djsSHO is on the right road
Thank you very much!