SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 05-16-2002, 10:38 PM
Registered

bradman will become famous soon enough
HELP! Fan comes on when I turn the key on, but engine cold and no start.

I can't believe this! I just my 89 SHO out of the garage after replacing the inner tie rods and
two blocks down the road the car died. The fuel pump is not priming and the
fan is coming on as soon as I turn the key to the ON position, even though the engine is cold. It
did restart briefly but then died again, so I think that rules out the timing belt. It seems like I
had this problem once before when I didn't connect the extra wire to the positive battery
terminal, but it's all connected correctly now. Could a ground fault cause these symtoms?
I tried two other relay boxes and no change. I checked all the fuses except for the big silver
ones. I also thought it might be the CPS, but why would the fan come on and the fuel pump
not prime? I haven't pulled the codes because the fan would run during the whole process
and I don't want to kill the battery, AND the car is down the road a couple blocks.

Someone must have had this problem before. Any advice would be much appreciated.

<small>[ May 16, 2002, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: bradman ]</small>
Old 05-17-2002, 09:30 AM
whoohoo

twr is spectacular!twr is spectacular!twr is spectacular!
The fan coming on can mean only one thing - the pcm (computer) is not getting any power or it is not grounded properly. There is a black wire with a barrel shaped connector that grounds just behind the battery - make sure it has a good conection.
Terry
Old 05-18-2002, 01:59 PM
Registered

bradman will become famous soon enough
Thanks Terry.
I've checked all the grounds that I can find, including the one behind the battery, but I will go over it again. I hope it's not the PCM or the wire harness. BTW, PCM is another term for the EEC right?