SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 01-15-2002, 04:47 PM
Registered

93SHOCOOL is on the right road
Sputters after long drives

After I drive my car for a long distance and I shut it off then go to turn it back on, the RPMs sputter between 500 and a 1000?? I have no idea why it does this, I have a new fuel pump and fuel filter?? This has been happening for a while, does anyone know what the deal is???

GOTTA LOVE THE MULLET
mailto:shocool93@hotmail.comshocool93@hotmail.com</a>
Old 01-15-2002, 05:24 PM
Sr. SHO Engr.

sdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to all
Could very well be the fuel return line check valve not holding the pressure and allowing the return fuel to vaporize with the hot engine. Do you hear a low rumbling sound from the tank at idle when this is happening? There is a picture of the fuel pump and sender assembly in another current topic that shows the check valve.

------------------
Scott

1991, 254K miles, glass hood, police grill, SVO shifter, Catz fogs,
K&N, 73mm MAF, Superchip, PP Y-pipe, Borla cat-back, 190 lph pump
Eibach/Tokico/polyurethane, SHO Shop front & rear strut braces,
16x7.5" Moda R1, 225/55ZR16 Bridgestone RE730, -1 deg camber x 4,
6 disc CD, Class II hitch, Silver award at SHOklahoma Car Show

[This message has been edited by sdpatt (edited 01-15-2002).]
In-car Track Video: Laps at TWS
Old 01-15-2002, 09:51 PM
Registered

HELLBENT93 is on the right road
I have a question, is the fuel return line check valve the same as the fuel pressure regulator? I have this exact same sputtering problem and I orginally thought it was the iac. Well I took it off to clean and guess what...the uncleanable type. So I cleaned it as best as I could by spraying some c&c in it just to make sure it wasn't sticking. It still has this problem. So if the valve is bad could it act in the same way, poor idle, hesitation, sputtering due to low pressure? Hopefully this is the problem. Thanks

P.S. Scott you are my savior!
Old 01-15-2002, 11:59 PM
Sr. SHO Engr.

sdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to allsdpatt is a name known to all
No, the fuel return line check valve is mounted on the end of the fuel return line at the fuel pump assembly. It is really just a rubber reed valve and is clipped on the end of the line. the telltale symptoms for this valve being bad are the rumbling sound from the tank and an struggling, unsteady idle (usually with a warm engine).

The condition caused by the check valve may cause an unsteady idle, but it won't cause sputtering or hesitation when the throttle is off idle. That could be anything from a throttle position sensor with a dead spot to a weak fuel pump. What is happening and under what conditions is it happening with your engine?

Scott
Old 01-16-2002, 12:29 AM
Registered

lip is on the right road
I am having the same problem with idle. Sometimes when in gear my car just starts jerking for a while. When I put it in the neutral and hit gas a lil bit then put it back in gear it drives normaly. Usually does that when it's rainy. I changed the sparks,wires,but still the same thing.

------------------
89' Black
K&N Filter
Coneless
3" exhaust tips
TURBO II mufflers
Bosh Platinum +4 Spark Plugs
Filled up body lettering
SHO windshield decal
Krypton SHOoff headlight bulbs
RAZO shift knob
Carbon fiber dual windshield wipers
----------------

Petr Lipus
petrlipus@email.cz

[This message has been edited by lip (edited 01-15-2002).]
Coneless
Homemade CAI
3" exhaust pipe
Cherry Bomb TURBO II mufflers
No Cats
Bosh Platinum +4 Spark Plugs
Filled up body lettering
Krypton SHOoff headlight bulbs
RAZO shift knob
----------------

Petr Lipus
petrlipus@email.cz
Old 01-16-2002, 02:29 AM
Registered

ok heres what i got:
in the morning when i start up the car it usually has a poor idle so i rev it a bit to warm it up and it helps for a couple of minutes but then it starts to sputter just like 93shocool described. I too have replaced the fuel pump, relay, and the filter a couple of months ago when it had the same symptoms. And it seemed to solve the problem. Well now when I start it, or rather when I turn the key to the on position, sometimes it makes that low rumbling sound, and when I crank it most of the time it will make a half-assed start and the rpm will shoot up to 1k and pause for a split second then up to 1500 then back down to about 900 where it sits there and then the idle starts going piss poor, sputtering between 500-1000. And as the engine warms up the idle seems to get worse, it sputters harder and more frequently. Now when i accelerate the sputter is still there it literally shakes the whole car. Once im up to speed it seems to be ok but if i accelerate too fast it starts to sputter again. And if i just put it in drive in let it roll it sputters As far as the iac and the tps i dont think it is either of these because i tested the ohm resistance of the tps on a meter and it was real smooth. The iac was within its resistance. I think u posted that link about the tps, but i cant remember. Then tonight, after *trying* to clean the iac I noticed something rather weird, aside from the sputtering. I was going like 60 on the freeway and i get on the pedal to pass a car but it wouldn't downshift into second..i think thats right, the passing gear. Well the pedal is on the floor and im not getting any where. The rpms are slowly creeping up at around 3k and im like what the hell. So i manually shift it in to second, now it will let me actally move the vehicle past 3k. I dont think its any thing to do with the tranny cause i had it replace about a month ago but if it is its under warranty through ford. But basically any time i get to third gear it wont down shift when i get on the gas unless i manually shift it. Could this be caused by low fuel pressure. Im so lost and am seriously not enjoying my SHO right now...i think its because its a 93 atx there cant be any other reason. sorry for the long post any help is greatly appreciated. thanks a bunch

[This message has been edited by HELLBENT93 (edited 01-16-2002).]
Old 01-16-2002, 04:13 PM
Registered

HELLBENT93 I am having the exact same problem. I have a new throttle position sensor, new plugs and wires, new fuel pump, new fuel filter. Im am also not enjoying my SHO right now because this is really starting to piss me off. I though maybe it had something to do with the weather (Cleveland SNOW SUCKS!!) but I remembered I had this same problem earlier in 2001. I dont hear a low rumbling sound (at least not usually). COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Old 01-16-2002, 09:38 PM
Registered

Well I solved the problem of it not downshifting into second...I unpluged the throttle position sensor and for got to plug it back in hehe. It downshifts now but, it still has this same sputtering problem today I pulled these codes:

KOEO:
122 - TP sensor below minumum voltage ( This may have come up because I had it unpluged it and pluged it back in without clearing the memory...im going to test it again.)

KOER:
167 - Insufficient throttle position change during dynamic reponse test

225 - Knock Sensor (KS) not sensed during dynamic response test

332 - EGR valve opening not detected, insufficient flow

632 - Transmission control switch (TCS) did not change states during KOER

536 - BOO circuit failure (anyone have any ideas on what this is?)
Old 01-16-2002, 10:01 PM
Registered

HELLBENT93 do you have a diagnostic CPU or did you make your own?? If you did where did you get the instructions?? My check engine light has been coming on and my guess is (not really a guess) that it is telling me something about why my car is SPUTTERING!!
Old 01-16-2002, 10:27 PM
Registered

Go to shotimes.com and click where it says care and feeding and go down to eec self test under engine control. that should help