SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 AM
shoverdrive

sho'noff can only hope to improve
Default timing belt

It is time to get another crank position sensor, why not put a timing belt in there while I am getting dirty.
what are some helpful tips for the timing belt, special tools, etc?
should I worry about another tensioner?
I have the basic knowledge on how to replace a timing belt but this one seems a little tricky any help would be welcomed.
233k miles who knows what could go wrong.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:52 AM
Irish Inside

Irish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Its pretty straight forward. Line up the timing marks on the 2 cam sprockets and the crank sprocket. Loosen the tensioner and remove. Install the new belt by lining up the marks on the belt with the marks on the sprockets.

South East SHO Club

SESHO Decals

1991 SHO + - White/Black. Fully Modded.

1989 SHO - 1 of 318 in White. 3.3 HC, Ported Heads, Tri-Flows, BBBs, EH Runners. New restoration project.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:07 AM
shoverdrive

http://www.shophoenixproject.com/files/checklist.pdf
Old 04-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Registered

jimtash is spectacular!jimtash is spectacular!

Be aware which timing belt you buy. The Italian made belts suck namely because they whine and place too much tension on everything. Something isn't correct about them. Cloyes is the only brand that worked properly for me from the get go. No issues with having to go back and release tension or fiddle with it at all. Just use a USA made belt.

Not trying to start an argument about brands but do a search and read up on the issues some here have with timing belts whining and tensioner studs breaking. Guarantee you that they were all Dayco or a name brand that uses Italian sourced belts.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:27 PM
shoverdrive

so, there is no scheduled maintenance on the tensioner? I ordered the dayco duralast belt, is that the usa one?

Last edited by sho'noff; 04-24-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:49 PM
shoverdrive

there is a problem with the serpentine belt tensioner as it is in the way of the timing cover. any clues?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Registered

jimtash is spectacular!jimtash is spectacular!

No, all the Dayco belts are Italian. Put it on and see what happens. But do know if it starts whining that more than likely it's the belt itself. I don't know why they do it but they do it for some reason. Just follow the manual in regards to install. Make sure you rotate the whole assembly like it says to do before finally tightening down the nut.

Good idea to replace the tensioner because of the bearing. MTX cars use a spring to set tension and then the tensioner is locked into place with a nut. ATX cars use a hydraulic tensioner.

Last edited by jimtash; 04-24-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 PM
shoverdrive

no manual here, I am now stuck on the crank bolt, the impact wrench is going to have to do or else!! it's not that I can put it in gear and hold it that way due to the auto trans.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Irish Inside

Irish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'noff View Post
no manual here, I am now stuck on the crank bolt, the impact wrench is going to have to do or else!! it's not that I can put it in gear and hold it that way due to the auto trans.
Starter bump will break the bolt loose whether its MTX or ATX. SHOphoenix steps you thru it.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 PM
shoverdrive

impact wrench did not work but just as you said the starter bump got it. it appears the intake valves need a serious adjustment, either that or the timing was off due to the crank position sensor.

true or false; the timing belt tensioner only needs to be tightened and loosened with the bolt. if so what is the torque? gŁtentight?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg get-attachment (4).jpg (11.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by sho'noff; 04-24-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: photo
Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 AM
shoverdrive

ok, I just now put up the tools, the middle valve cover broke the rest of the way during reinstallation. I found the waterpump gasket was leaking but I loosened and retorqued the bolts. I also had to curse at the neighbors dog because it was barking at the birds for a good 45 minutes and they will not quit chirping. tomorrow I will reinstall the serpantine belt and whatever else is left.
(any good ideas for grease in a busted knuckle besides soap and water?)
Old 04-25-2013, 06:05 AM
Irish Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'noff View Post
I found the waterpump gasket was leaking but I loosened and retorqued the bolts.
The waterpump leaking is what caused your crank sensor to fail. If you do not replace the waterpump and waterpump gaskets now, you will be replacing the crank sensor again very soon. Going thru all that effort and not replacing the pump while you can would be a timely and costly mistake.

The intake gets dirty inside because of the pcv system. If you dont want the inside to get like that then you need to install a catch can.