SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Generation 4 SHO (2010-present) > Generation 4 - Maintenance & Troubleshooting

Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Registered

Mac98SHO will become famous soon enoughMac98SHO will become famous soon enough

I have had it stumble on cold morning on initial start and go ..... so now I give it a sec to catch itself...If I remember right I had the cam code thing also... but nothing since I got to 5k and oil change.

I will have to pay attention to the fuel type see if I noticed what you noticed.

Traded: 98 SHO (TR); 2001 LS V8 Sport(Black)
Traded: 2007 Mustang GT (Black)

for a .....

2013 Taurus SHO Tuxedo Black
(w/performance package)
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Registered

xujn is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
Mine does something similar. I find that if I "roll" into the throttle, it's pretty much gone. It's not a "lean" hesitation, more of a feeling that the computer doesn't believe that you slammed on the go-pedal that fast. It does't bog down, it just keeps doing what it was doing before I slam on the pedal.

I'm wondering if Ford didn't go a little too far in programming the computer to be careful in terms of the fly-by-wire throttle.

One weird thing, if I clear the KAM (keep alive memory), it stops doing it for a while until the computer relearns. Which means that for one thing, it's not the throttle plate or actuator sticking.

I also had a "cam A too retarded" code a few times right after I got it brand-new, but after an oil change at 5500 miles (I'm at 7500 now), that hasn't come back. Coincidence maybe.

ALSO, I noticed that certain brands of gas make the hesitation worse. As if it's related to octane. Again, maybe Ford being too careful, but about detonation.
I too have noticed that a more gradual application of the throttle helps to eliminate the hesitation feel. If you wouldn't mind explaining how do you clear KAM? I've only used Shell's 93 v-power, with the exception of putting 91 in it once when I drove to Ontario. I think that a tune might very well solve this issue, but don't feel like voiding my warranty.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:26 AM
Registered

So.... my car woke up! I decided to plasti dip my wheels today, and stuffed plastic sheets around the brakes to mask them off. After I was done plasti dipping I wiped the rotors down to make sure there wasn't any over spray, and found that they felt greasy. When I took it for a spin it felt as though I was driving an entirely new car! I'm not sure if it was wiping the rotars down, the plastic sheets hitting something, or if it was the result of me driving the car fairly hard in the morning, but something worked. I just hope that this isn't temporary though.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:08 AM
Registered

SHOdded is a jewel in the roughSHOdded is a jewel in the roughSHOdded is a jewel in the roughSHOdded is a jewel in the rough

Wonder if the wheel sensors were compromised, and your cleaning the rotors took care of that. How's the braking performance?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Registered

Braking was never a problem, but I have always found it harder to modulate the Sho's braking compared to other cars.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Registered

krewat is unknown at this point

Just got back from the dealer, with an update.

First, I can clear the KAM with my SCT X3 tuner with the latest firmware. I got it with custom tunes from Mike @ 5-star (sponsor over at ford-trucks.com) for my F250 V10 6.8L.

I can read/clear DTCs and do data logging on my '97 Cougar 4.6L, '01 F250 V10, and now the 2013 SHO.

You can also clear the KAM by pulling the battery for an hour I think, but not sure about the brandy-new cars yet.

Now for the good part (at least, I hope it's good over the next few weeks).

Went to the dealer last week and made an appointment for today, got a few TSB's taken care of (GPSM update, as well as a steering wheel module update). Complained about the hesitation. Told the service writer that I had heard there was a throttle-body and calibration update for that. They did the calibration update, but no throttle body relacement - yet.

Drove it home, and the shifts are MUCH BETTER. Before, it would actually let off the throttle during the shift, so it was like driving a manual tranny. Now, the shifts go through without any lessening of the throttle.

Throttle response seems much better as well. Can't really say the "total lack of response" hesitation is gone yet, but the throttle response got better and better as I drove it home. Over the next few days, I will see what happens as it relearns.

Old calibration code (strategy, according to my SCT tuner): KHDK2K5

New calibration code: KHDK4K5

--

Side note: The TSB's I brought it in for were:

13-3-11 - GLOBAL POSITION SATELLITE MODULE - TRAFFIC DIRECTIONS AND NAVIGATION - UNABLE TO LOCATE VEHICLE - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/15/2013

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...sb13-03-11.htm

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb13-03-11.pdf

I had some of the symptoms, but not all.

13-1-1 - EASY ENTRY/EASY EXIT FEATURE - POWER TELESCOPING/TILT STEERING COLUMN DOES NOT RETURN TO CORRECT POSITION

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...sb13-01-01.htm

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb13-01-01.pdf

After reentering the vehicle, the wheel wouldn't return to the exact same place I had it before. Which is down all the way, and all the way out. Now, it not only returns to the same place, but ALSO seems to extend further out towards me when I use the controls to move it. Which is where I like it.

I will be writing these up separately in another thread.
Supermod for FTE - ford-trucks.com

Last edited by krewat; 07-02-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac98SHO View Post
If I remember right I had the cam code thing also... but nothing since I got to 5k and oil change.
Very interesting that you had the cam code too... P0012?
Old 07-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Registered

That sounds great! I'll definitely bring up the steering module tsb when I take my car in for the gpsm tsb. I had brought up the throttle body tsb before, but my dealership wouldn't do it as they couldn't find the problem. >=(
However I did learn a "trick" over at ecoboostowners and apparently we are able to calibrate the throttle body ourselves!
1. put car into accessory mode
2. push the throttle all the way to the floor and release
3. start the car as usual
can't say whether it works 100% or not, but I know that since I've done it there hasn't been any hesitation.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Registered

Since the update, I've noticed the car does do the hesitation thing, just not as bad, and today on the way to work - really only the second full commute since the PCM update, it didn't do it at all.

I notice the car is more "brutish" with the update - better throttle response, especially in regular "Drive", and shifting is much improved.

Still not sure if the hesitation is completely gone. Will keep this thread updated if I notice it (or not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xujn View Post
That sounds great! I'll definitely bring up the steering module tsb when I take my car in for the gpsm tsb. I had brought up the throttle body tsb before, but my dealership wouldn't do it as they couldn't find the problem. >=(
However I did learn a "trick" over at ecoboostowners and apparently we are able to calibrate the throttle body ourselves!
1. put car into accessory mode
2. push the throttle all the way to the floor and release
3. start the car as usual
can't say whether it works 100% or not, but I know that since I've done it there hasn't been any hesitation.
I have to try that recalibration - I know there was one for the trucks, especially the Superduty that was a little more involved than one foot-to-the-floor cycle, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Registered

Tried that recalibration, and it seems to have made a difference yet again. Even more stable throttle response... will report back after a few more days driving.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:14 AM
Registered

Calgary is unknown at this point

i hope this works for my problem with my 2010. Im wondering if ford dealerships will do tsb on the ESP Premium extended plan. I occasionally get this weird jerky feeling when accelerating hard at about 2000-2400 rpm. I got some engine lights blinking but my dealership said no codes popping up. May not be related but it seems to happen after i wash car or if its raining.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Registered

To report back after a few months, the "sudden death" lack of acceleration is completely gone. No more romping the peddle to have nothing happen.

One thing that still bothers me, is loss of power in a turn. It's most noticeable in Sport Mode. If I'm already moving, say anything from 5-20 MPH, and make a turn and hit the gas, it just does .... nothing. Tried it with stability and/or traction control off, same thing. Only way to describe it is complete lack of throttle input - not loss of power, I don't think, but no application of MORE power.

It's horrible in Sport mode - counter intuitive to say the least. And it happens once in a while in Drive.

Calgary, sorry for the delay in answering, but have you checked for the chafed knock sensor wires? Are you running 87 octane, or 93?
Old 12-02-2013, 11:45 PM
Registered

ryanunderwood is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
To report back after a few months, the "sudden death" lack of acceleration is completely gone. No more romping the peddle to have nothing happen.

One thing that still bothers me, is loss of power in a turn. It's most noticeable in Sport Mode. If I'm already moving, say anything from 5-20 MPH, and make a turn and hit the gas, it just does .... nothing. Tried it with stability and/or traction control off, same thing. Only way to describe it is complete lack of throttle input - not loss of power, I don't think, but no application of MORE power.

It's horrible in Sport mode - counter intuitive to say the least. And it happens once in a while in Drive.

Calgary, sorry for the delay in answering, but have you checked for the chafed knock sensor wires? Are you running 87 octane, or 93?
Did your hesitation issues disappear after the 'calibration' you did or did it go away as a result of the TSB fixes? Or are you able to discern between them?
Thanks

Last edited by ryanunderwood; 12-02-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: forgot the quote