SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Registered

pejohnson is on the right road
Default Temperature Gauge Not Working

So I recently bought an 89 SHO and have decided to keep it for a while. I have only had the car a couple of months now and do not have much history on it. I have fixed several things but one issue has me stumped. Currently the instrument panel works with the exception of the temperature gauge. Also I have noticed that the fan randomly kicks on typically as soon as you start the car and does not turn off unless you disconnect the battery. It doesn't do this every single time but 9 out of 10 times it kicks on as stated above. One time I went out after letting the car sit for a half an hour and the fan was still on.

I am assuming if I fix the temperature gauge, the fan will read the gauge correctly and fix it self.

Does anyone have an idea of where I should start to check or fix the problem? I have read a few of the temperature gauge threads but only saw to replace the temperature sender. Should I start there?

Thanks.
89 MTX, red SOLD
91 MTX Plus, white SOLD
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Registered

itwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid one

Gauge sender is located on the back side of the engine block, with a single wire connected to it. It controls only the temp gauge.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 PM
SHOless In St L

projectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of light

The temp gauge circuit is separate from the fan control.

For the gauge, check the single wire sensor under the throttle body to see if the wire came off. The sender on the "back" (firewall side) of the engine is for the oil pressure dummy gauge.

The fan problem is probably a bad IRCM module. Check first to make certain the correct module is installed. See the Sticky in the Electronics section for details on the IRCM.
SHO #1 - 94 ATX aka "Princess". Replaced with a $3000 car back in 2000 before my 16-year-old turned the Princess into one.
SHO #2 - 89 "The Project" Retired at 249K miles to James' place.
SHO # 3 - Another 94 ATX - Daily driver with 238K on it.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 04-12-2012 at 10:26 PM.
The following user says thank you to projectSHO89 for this post:
pejohnson (04-14-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 PM
The Complainer

JRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectSHO89 View Post

For the gauge, check the single wire sensor under the throttle body to see if the wire came off. The sender on the "back" (firewall side) of the engine is for the oil pressure dummy gauge.

The fan problem is probably a bad IRCM module. Check first to make certain the correct module is installed. See the Sticky in the Electronics section for details on the IRCM.
X2 on this. My gauge sending unit went bad on my 89 and this was the issue (single wire sensor under the TB). Be careful, when I attempted to remove the metal clip from the wire that attaches to the sensor itself, it broke off. I had to buy a crimp ring, trim back the wire and use the crimp ring to re-attach it to the new sensor. Just the other day, the wire came loose from the crimp, so I'll have to reattach it better. That wire is easy to cut/break so I have very little slack; that's one reason it keeps pulling loose.
Do yourself a favor-ball up your fist, punch yourself in the nuts, and then after you replace your timing chain tensioners, go back to that mechanic and smack him in the face with the used tensioners.

Stop being afraid of screwing something up, roll up your sleeves, grab your nuts and get dirty.
09 Corolla S (blk/blk)
95 SHO MTX (wht/tan)
89 SHO (red/gray) still leaks oil
06 Honda Aquatrax F-12X
90 SHO (slvr/blk) SOLD,crushed
93 SHO ATX (wht/tan) SOLD
Old 04-12-2012, 10:46 PM
PiMPSKiLLET

Eric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud of

Fwiw.. that is a threaded end on that... at least it was. I got a ring terminal on mine and a little nut holding it there..

Car Domain My work
Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered

Just to follow up on this thread. I installed a new coolant temperature sensor (ie. Advanced Auto Part No. WT386Z) and the temperature gauge is working on the instrument panel. Even better the fan is kicking on and off as it should. I'm pretty excited. It's not too often a project goes that quick, easy and cheap for me. It took about 20 minutes and cost $9.00.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 PM
SHOless In St L

projectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of lightprojectSHO89 is a beacon of light

If you know how things work, you'd know that something, while it's working now, still isn't fixed.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Registered

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. I didn't fix the problem? I should have replaced the IRCM? I was planning on driving it tomorrow and see if everything is working. My main concern was driving the car without the temperature gauge. That appears to be fixed, now I'll monitor the temperature and watch to see if the fan kicks on appropriately.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 AM
SHOless In St L

Since the fan can operate only when a relay in the ICRM is closed and the gauge sender has zero effect on anything except the gauge....

You likely have a relay in the ICRM that is intermittently sticking.
The following user says thank you to projectSHO89 for this post:
pejohnson (04-16-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Registered

Default Fan still stays on sometimes

So the fan motor stayed on today after driving it. I went back out after 1 hour and it still was running. I took a baseball bat and tapped the IRCM module and sure enough the fan kick off immediately. The fan relay must have been stuck. So does anyone have a type M they want to sell for cheap? Need to give props to 'projectSHO89' for calling this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectSHO89 View Post

Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Registered

jimtash is spectacular!jimtash is spectacular!

The CCRM will also malfunction if it gets wet. Signs of it are a cooling fan that runs and the A/C is on and cycling continuously even though it's off on the climate control panel. If that happens, you need to disconnect the compressor until everything dries as the A/C pressure switch will not work and the whole system will literally get to the point that there is frost build up on it.

Last edited by jimtash; 05-06-2012 at 01:44 PM.