SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Generation 4 SHO (2010-present) > Generation 4 - General Discusson

Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered

10SECSHO is unknown at this point
Question 2012 Ford remote start

Did a ton of searching but have not found an answer. When I remote start the car with the Ford dealer installed unit and then open the doors the engine stalls. Is there a way around this? Also can you program the car to run longer than 10 minutes when remote started?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:06 PM
SHO Guru

SHO U UP is a jewel in the roughSHO U UP is a jewel in the roughSHO U UP is a jewel in the rough

The engine is supposed to cut off when the door is opened. Safety feature so the car isn't stolen. Of course you would think the key fob would need to be present before it were to move but that somehow must have been overlooked by the designers. There may be a way around it not shutting down but you'd have to do a search.

-2010 Silver Gen 4-arrived 10-6-2009!
-1996 Medium Graphite Gen 3 MTX & Supercharged!!

-1997 Supercharged Gen 3....FINALLY!!
*SOLD* to STL SHO 2-11-2011
-6 other SHOs sold to new homes....

-2014 Ford Escape SE Another Ecoboost in the family..
-2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 (5" and 33" Toyos)
-2001 Lightning SVT- Low&Lethal - 695 rwhp/705rwtq on 19#s. *SOLD* 12-8-2012
-1997 F-150 4x4 Monster truck *SOLD* 5-7-2010
Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Sorta cares

hawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me that you could simply disconnect the door state input wire to the remote start module. How? Not a clue, but there's got to be a discrete input that can be disabled.

My radar sees farther than your SHO can drive on a tank.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Registered

Can't find the answer. Guess will have to live with it for now. Also I guess it only let's the car run for 10 minutes then shuts it off but I think you can change that to a max of 15 minutes..
Old 12-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Registered

Johnny Langton is unknown at this point

I know that there is an option on the Flex to disable the engine shutoff when the door is opened after remote starting. There's a long thread about this on fordflex.net, and IIRC, a dealer must change the setting, but most are clueless on how to do it.
JL
Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Registered

LotusDriver will become famous soon enoughLotusDriver will become famous soon enough

The problem is, once you get in and step on the brake, the car will shut down because it is running off the remote starter. It would need some sort of input to change it over to a normal operating ignition state.
2010 - SE Quadangle "Retro"
Various other PK Rippers and Haros
Old 12-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Registered

I'm still trying to figure it out..
Old 12-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

beefcake is spectacular!beefcake is spectacular!

actually you guys are incorrect.

the reason the remote start shuts off when the door is opened is because of the mykey feature.

the remote start does not know if a mykey is being used, therefore opening the door and disengaging the engine, forces you to physically start the vehicle using either a regularly programmed key, or a programmed mykey, so that the vehicle knows if it is supposed to be limiting speed, radio, etc...

i believe we can disable this at the dealership, but the mykey feature will be disabled when using remote start

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - 1003 rwhp - 9.03 @154 Daily Driver
http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com

Last edited by beefcake; 12-19-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:13 AM
Registered

So the dealer has to disable the mykey? It's not something I can do?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Registered

beefcake is spectacular!beefcake is spectacular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SECSHO View Post
So the dealer has to disable the mykey? It's not something I can do?
Your not disabling my key, you are reprogramming bank 2 option 7 i believe.

the doors disabling the remote start are an option and can be turned off.

If you know what your doing, you can do it yourself
Old 12-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Registered

Well the dealer won't make the changes so I'll either have to do it myself or find another dealer. Thing is I'm not sure where the over ride button is. The dealer has a big hangup with the push button start.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered

Trying to find the over ride button and no luck. I'm guessing its under the dash on the driverside but can't locate it. Time to ask the dealer I guess.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton View Post
I know that there is an option on the Flex to disable the engine shutoff when the door is opened after remote starting. There's a long thread about this on fordflex.net, and IIRC, a dealer must change the setting, but most are clueless on how to do it.
JL
RIP Johnny. You never know when it's your turn.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Sorta cares

hawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
RIP Johnny. You never know when it's your turn.
Wait, what!?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye18 View Post
Wait, what!?
Johnny was killed a few days ago in a 5 car accident when another driver crossed the centerline. Truly sad.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:44 AM
Sorta cares

Quote:
Johnny was killed a few days ago in a 5 car accident when another driver crossed the centerline. Truly sad.
Holy crap, that is truly awful. :( RIP Johnny.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Esfoad

esfoad is on the right road

That is truly too bad and incredibly sad. RIP Johnny.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Registered

LotusDriver will become famous soon enoughLotusDriver will become famous soon enough

Suppose you disable the door kill feature. Then you jump it and drive off. What is keeping the car from shutting down after the 15 minutes times out? It's more than just a door switch folks.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:08 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusDriver View Post
It's more than just a door switch folks.
Yep sure is.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Esfoad

I've been using my starter for almost 2 years now. It's really no issue to restart the car. If you use Bluetooth it also makes the connection upon restart, otherwise you have to press Phone and re-establish the connection. I know many people with this type of remote start and no one has had any issues with the starter or anything like that.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfoad View Post
I've been using my starter for almost 2 years now. It's really no issue to restart the car. If you use Bluetooth it also makes the connection upon restart, otherwise you have to press Phone and re-establish the connection. I know many people with this type of remote start and no one has had any issues with the starter or anything like that.
Ok cool..thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered

GigaHz is on the right road

Why doesn't the car know I am not in it (stereo blares). Why doesn't the car know it is cold outside. (Turn on heat and defroster).

My 2006 Pontiac knew to turn off the radio (remote start) and start heat or air conditioning as required by outside temperature.

The whole remote start looks like an after thought on this car.
2004 GTO 392 RWHP Sold
Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 PM
NO SHO

Laminar is on the right road

Quote:
Suppose you disable the door kill feature. Then you jump it and drive off. What is keeping the car from shutting down after the 15 minutes times out? It's more than just a door switch folks.
Are you suggesting that no auto company has a solution to this? I had a rental Cruze that would stay running when I opened the door. It just had me hit the Engine Start button to confirm that I was in the car.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Registered

So what would happen if you didn't hit the button?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 AM
NO SHO

Quote:
So what would happen if you didn't hit the button?
I never tried and the owner's manual doesn't discuss the possibility. I imagine it would keep the car in park or kill the engine if you try and shift. Either way the instrument screen made it clear that I needed to press the start button.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Esfoad

That Chevy sounds more integrated than what we have. Ours is truly a factory "aftermarket" system. An add-on if you will. So it is not as well integrated.
Regarding the defrosters turning on, that doesn't happen even if you start the car with the fob in it. Requires a manual push of the front and rear defroster buttons. So the operation with remote start is no different. I agree it's a pain to have to remember to leave the windshield defroster button pushed. There is no way to have the rear defroster start automatically. Or the seat heaters .
Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 PM
NO SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfoad View Post
That Chevy sounds more integrated than what we have. Ours is truly a factory "aftermarket" system. An add-on if you will. So it is not as well integrated.
Regarding the defrosters turning on, that doesn't happen even if you start the car with the fob in it. Requires a manual push of the front and rear defroster buttons. So the operation with remote start is no different. I agree it's a pain to have to remember to leave the windshield defroster button pushed. There is no way to have the rear defroster start automatically. Or the seat heaters .
Ah, that's too bad. Supposedly the Cruze will check the outside ambient temp and, if necessary, turn on the defroster and seat heaters.

It was a pretty good car, drove really well, but it was small, cramped, and slow.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered

TRBOSHO is unknown at this point

I installed it myself. I can tell you that there is an individual wire for EACH door, the trunk and a hood switch that all kill the starter. If I recall, the taps are all behind the glove box door, but it's been a while. The car does require you to step on the brake to shift from park and the car will die to prevent theft, but you can't simply turn on the key like any normal car, so you would likely have to stall the car after entry when you shift out of park. Test this by starting the car while you are already in it, and see if you can figure out how to drive away without restarting it.....
Old 12-08-2012, 02:49 AM
Registered

The 13's have the factory installed remote start which is how they all should have been. Still have not figured out how to make the car run longer or keep it from dieing when the door is open. This is on my 12.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered

I have a 2013 Explorer Sport with factory remote start. The engine stays running when you open the door, and then prompts you to step on the brake and press the start button. If a key is detected, it will switch over and remain running in normal mode. If no key is detected (someone stealing the car) it won't switch over and will not allow the transmission to be shifted out of park.