SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Emergency Issues - Help & Maintenance

Old 09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Registered

nw_mr2 is on the right road
Default Throw out bearing is making noise.. How long do I have?

So in the last few weeks I've noticed some off and on vibration when I push my clutch pedal in. The clutch still grabs fine, but shifting seemed to get a little more difficult as well (mostly going into first).

Yesterday I started noticing a whirring/grinding sound when I push my clutch in. Releasing it makes the sound go away. From what I've read, this is my throw out bearing.

I'm calling around for some estimates, but I'm wondering how long I have until this causes major issues? It seems that I've read about people who kept driving it, and others that it just started and shortly after ended in a complete failure (fingers breaking? Resulted in a tow).

Am I good for another week on it? I'm planning on having the clutch, tob, and rear main done. Thanks

Old 09-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Old Dude

RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!

Kinda like unwelded cams on a Gen 3....

Could be a day, or a month, or a year, or longer......

Or, the next time you pull out of the drive.....
2006 Grand Prix 17K miles (wife's car)
2002 Grand Marquis 122K miles (work mule)
Old 09-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Registered

Fair enough. If it does "go", does it typically damage anything other than the clutch?

I'm moving back to school in a week, and it'd be much easier to have it done there..
Old 09-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Old Dude

RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!

"May" not damage anything, just won't be able to shift.

But, unless your synchros are really trashed, it could still be shifted clutchless. Little tough to get rolling, though!!

I see you plan on having the clutch done, also. Good idea. The cost of a clutch is far less than the usual cost of the labor to do a TOB (unless you want something beyond a stock-type clutch).
Old 09-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Registered

Yeah I was shifting a little without the clutch on the way to work this morning.

I called a shop here and he can't do it until Monday anyway (when I'll be moved back to school.. quote was $760 w/parts). I think I'll just try to drive it as little as possible this week and take it back to school asap. It's a 130 mile trip but almost all highway once you get out of the city (am I correct in assuming that I'm "safer" sticking in 5th on a freeway than driving around a city where I'm shifting more?).

Need to get my timing belt done soon too. This is going to be a money pit pretty shortly :(
Old 09-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Old Dude

Well, a clutch, as well as a timing belt, are amintenance parts.

Granted, not as routine as an oil change, but routine nonetheless.

Those will be two major items done that you won't have to worry about for awhile. And if the current clutch isn't too bad, the flywheel should be OK, so it will just be the cost of a PP and disc (plus the TOB).

Hey, this is my 2000th post!!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Registered

zak is a jewel in the roughzak is a jewel in the roughzak is a jewel in the roughzak is a jewel in the rough

Congrats Ron.

It could be that your pressure plate fingers are near collapse, so be mindful of this. If it gets any harder to shift try shifting into first with the engine off, then clutch in and start it up (this also works to get it into reverse). Then shift clutchless as Ron suggests.

Is it all highway back to school, or will you be stop and go (and therefore cycling the clutch)?
Old 09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Registered

It's 106 miles of freeway, and +-4 miles of city/town. I'm going to get a rental car for this week (I can get a discount through work, and it's cheaper than towing would be).

Think it's worth the risk of driving it back to school? It would be much easier to have it done there, but I could possibly delay and get it done here.

Thanks for the input & congrats Ron.

Last edited by nw_mr2; 09-06-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered

93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute

When mine did that the last time, I stopped driving it immediately. When I took it apart, there were 3 missing pressure plate fingertips and the TOB had lost it's seal. I don't think it would have made it to the trans shop without failure. I would advise against trying to drive it anywhere if the clutch feels like gravel as you're depressing it. When that happens, you don't have long.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Rattle-Mobile

crazy_canadian is spectacular!crazy_canadian is spectacular!

If shifting starts to be hard, it'll go soon.

My TOB has been making wierd noises for about 5 years and 65 000miles. So far so good. But you may not have this luck.

'95 MTX Deep jewel green with Black/Tan interior
Crashed 20/02/2009
Re-registered 1/4/2011

14.91@94.8 MPH
109k miles
1996 Ford F-350 Powerstroke
520k km, 5 speeds, 4x4, crew cab, long bed
Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 AM
Registered

Well update - It wasn't sounding as loud after work (still noticeable, but now and then it would be totally quiet). I took a chance and drove it back to school. Got there fine, and it's parked. I'll get it into a shop there when I go back in a few weeks.

I pulled my Mr2 out of storage (drove it once in June).. And other than having to jump the battery, it worked great. Glad I had it as backup.

Thanks for the advice, glad I got lucky..