SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Suspension, Brake Systems, & Body

Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered

SHOpar is on the right road
Default Finally Fixed Dragging Rear Brakes!

My rear brakes have been dragging and making lots of noise over the past year or so, sometimes to the point where they have started smoking. A couple weeks ago I heard metal grinding noises in the rear, so I figured I better take a look at it. Sure enough, the pads on the left year were totally gone and the backing plate was digging into the rotor.

Wanting to get the rear brakes fixed once and for all, I headed off to Napa last Sunday and bought new loaded rear calipers, brake lines, and rotors. I checked the front pads, and they were getting thin, too, so I bought pads, lines, and rotors for the front as well.

I got everything installed, flushed the system, and was good to go, or so I thought. The rear tires finally spun freely once again, that is until I tried the e-brake. One cycle of the brake caused the rear brakes to lock right up. Further inspection of the e-brake cables showed they were seized on both sides and it took A LOT of effort to pull the cables back enough to release the calipers.

After being quite pissed that I dumped a ton of money into the car only to have the same problem, I got on RockAuto and ordered up all three cables since it was going to take my local Napa longer to get them in than RockAuto could have them shipped to me and Napa wanted quite a bit more money. The cables showed up this week, and I spent yesterday installing them.

They were a PITA to install, especially with my aftermarket control arms and rear H-brace, but once they were in, I was very happy! I couldn't believe how seized the old cables were once I pulled them off and compared them to the new ones. The e-brake now fully releases and the rears don't drag at all!!!

Funny how $60 worth of parts and a few hours of work can make such a huge difference.

Josh
95 SHO MTX (SOLD 10/20/12!)
96 F-250 Powerstroke, 5-spd, 4x4
13 Focus ST (On order, due in 10/30/12!)
Old 02-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Future SHOwner

cflguy2005 is on the right road

I know that feeling. I finally got around to getting mine replaced last fall, now I just have to get the fronts done.

Current: 1995 Taurus GL - 3.0L OHV || 2007 Ion 2 - 2.2 DOHC
Past: 1996 Cavalier LS - 2.2L OHV
Future: Taurus SHO
"To Become a Mechanic", by Taurus Ess Aitch Oh. Great book, would read again. -TrueBlue
Old 02-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered

sperold is awesome!sperold is awesome!sperold is awesome!sperold is awesome!sperold is awesome!

If you have any grief in the future, the flex lines have been known to collapse internally and allow fluid in when you foot is on the pedal, but wont allow the fluid to flow back out.
I often check the rims as they get hot it this happens.
The earlier models had a clip (on the flex line) that corroded on the inside diamter (think of it as a #9 with the flex line being held in the circle). The corrosion swelled and choked off the backwards flow as well. I don't remember if the newer cars have that clip, but it is something to be aware of.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered

SHOpar is on the right road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperold View Post
If you have any grief in the future, the flex lines have been known to collapse internally and allow fluid in when you foot is on the pedal, but wont allow the fluid to flow back out.
I often check the rims as they get hot it this happens.
Although the rear flex lines may have been contributing to my brake issues, I'm pretty sure the sticking e-brake cables were the main culprit. I did replace the flex lines while I had everything apart for additional insurance though, as they're pretty cheap.

I had known for quite some time that I had problems back there, as the rear rims were always hot; generally as warm or warmer than the fronts.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 PM
cliTaurus

shoon is spectacular!shoon is spectacular!shoon is spectacular!

Did the same thing. My parking brake cables lasted under 1 yr before seizing solid again. The passenger side could not be moved at all. I injected grease into the sheathing on the new cables, so I'm hoping they will last longer this time around.