SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 11-02-2010, 01:47 PM
SHO or GTFO

Terrorizer will become famous soon enough
Default How to change transmission fluid and how often?

I have a few questions about changing the transmission fluid on my 1990 MTX SHO.

1. I removed the bolt in the side of the transmission housing with an extension and put my finger down an inch or so and didn't touch the transmission fluid. Should the transmission fluid be filled up to that hole?

2. How often should the transmission fluid be changed? I checked both my owners manual and service manual and neither mentioned a service interval or draining procedure, just how to refill. I would think something like a transmission would need new fluid periodically just like an engine needs oil changes. Also, does a manual transmission have a transmission fluid filter?

3. Is there a drain plug on the transmission for draining the transmission?

4. Does the differential share fluid with the transmission or is it separate?

thanks for any info!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM
SHOForum Sponsor

LOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud of
Cool

1. Yes should be to the top

2. I dont know if there is an interval. Maybe every 100k or when you do a clutch. There is no filter. The gears just sit in the fluid.

3. No you need to add one.

4. All the same.

-Performance: Turbo 297hp 279ftlb
-Drivetrain: CM Clutch,SHONut Mounts,QUAIFE
-Suspension: SS Coilovers, 24/26mm,Poly,Gen3,H-Brace, Subframe
-Brakes: Cobra front, 11.6 rear
-Looks: Sound System,Speedhut,Pilot Fogs,Clear Corners,Gen2 Console, CF Cowl Hood & Trunk
SHO Source
Old 11-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Registered

ViPER1313 is spectacular!ViPER1313 is spectacular!

In regards to #3 - you don't **have** to add a drain plug, although it is recommended. Search on the forum if you want to go through the hassle.

You can also drain the transmission with a piece of rubber hose and a vacuum pump through the fill hole on the side. You can get about 95% of the fluid out like this.

I don't recommend removing the bolt that looks like a drain plug - it holds in a spring (or ball bearing, I forget) for a shifting fork??... if I recall correctly. I do know that if the shifter moves while the bolt is out the item will shoot out of the transmission and you will be in a world of hurt.
(SOLD) 94' MTX Green/Tan - TrakHor

www.mmsports.org
Old 11-02-2010, 06:09 PM
SHO or GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER1313 View Post
In regards to #3 - you don't **have** to add a drain plug, although it is recommended. Search on the forum if you want to go through the hassle.

You can also drain the transmission with a piece of rubber hose and a vacuum pump through the fill hole on the side. You can get about 95% of the fluid out like this.

I don't recommend removing the bolt that looks like a drain plug - it holds in a spring (or ball bearing, I forget) for a shifting fork??... if I recall correctly. I do know that if the shifter moves while the bolt is out the item will shoot out of the transmission and you will be in a world of hurt.
I used the one that goes in the side that has the square opening, I used a ratchet with no socket on it. Did I use the right plug?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Never been a noob...

gmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
I used the one that goes in the side that has the square opening, I used a ratchet with no socket on it. Did I use the right plug?
On the forward face of the case? Yep, that's the fill plug. If the transaxle is completely filled, you should be able to put your fingertip into this hole and feel fluid just barely below it.

If you want to install a drain plug, here's some directions. They were written by an old SHO sage who by now should be dead and buried.
http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/modu...thold=0&sid=93

There is a flange head bolt on the transaxle case with a 13mm hex, this is the shift fork interlock retaining pin. Removing it will allow you to drain about 1/2 the fluid from the transaxle, BUT, if you move the shift linkage while this bolt is out, you're screwed, and the transaxle may need to be dis-assembled to realign the shift fork mechanism.
1999 SVT Contour (Sedanus-Grocerygetteris-Rapidus)
"If thine IAC offends thee, pluck it out!"
Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Registered

jayro is awesome!jayro is awesome!jayro is awesome!jayro is awesome!

I would definatly recommend installing a drain plug. Easy to do and makes changing your fluid 100 times easier. Plus if you decide to try different fluids to see which works best in your trans its a huge time saver. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Registered

itwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid one

Don't fear installing the drain plug as instructed on the Shotimes link post above by Gary. It is easy to do, and it makes changing the fluid a cinch. When you refill, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is recommended. Some prefer others, but Mobil 1 is a consistent forum favorite for the MTX.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
SHO or GTFO

I have come to the conclusion that I am going to eventually drill a drain plug and drain all of the fluid and fill it with Mobil 1 synthetic. In the mean time I want to top it off since I can tell it is considerably low right now. I don't know what kind of fluid is in it now, I'm assuming it hasn't been changed since most people don't ever change their transmission fluid. Would topping it off with mobil 1 be a problem if its mixing with non synthetic? If mobil 1 is a problem what should I use? The service manual says to use ford motorcraft but is there an alternative I can buy at my local parts store?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 AM
SHOForum Sponsor

LOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud of
Cool

I would just go with regular ATF Mercon fluid. If you are just adding I would go with the regular till you can do a drain and fill.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 AM
SHO or GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUDSHO92 View Post
I would just go with regular ATF Mercon fluid. If you are just adding I would go with the regular till you can do a drain and fill.
Is "Mercon" a type of transmission fluid used by all brands or is it only made by motorcraft? Also, is ATF safe to use in a manual transmission?

Thanks for any info, I've worked on cars my whole life but I'm not very familiar with transmissions, I don't think I've ever had to change the fluid before.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 AM
3.0ld

Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!

I'm not sure where the name came from but Mercon (and Dexron Mercon) are used by all types of cars.

Edit: I was wrong... Mercon is a Ford name it seems, and Dexron is mainly GM.

Repair Walkthroughs

Last edited by Devin; 11-03-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:57 PM
---/\===\/---

notbange will become famous soon enoughnotbange will become famous soon enough

But they don't call it Dexron III anymore. It'll now be on the shelves as "classic atf" or "dex/merc" because GM won't license the dexron III name now that they're on to Dexron VI. Something like that. But you won't find a bottle labled dexron unless it's old.

Current shos:

1992 silver/gray, 220k
1993 Black/black 180k

Sold shos:
1995 white/gray ATX
1994 Green/tan ATX
1989 red/destroyed
Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 AM
SHOForum Sponsor

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
Is "Mercon" a type of transmission fluid used by all brands or is it only made by motorcraft? Also, is ATF safe to use in a manual transmission?

Thanks for any info, I've worked on cars my whole life but I'm not very familiar with transmissions, I don't think I've ever had to change the fluid before.
Mercon is Ford Specification. Most ATF meet the specs for it.

ATF is the fluid called out for the SHO MTX.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Old Dude

RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!

I use an old vacuum brake bleeder hooked to my compressor. Not useful for brakes (INO) but great for sucking tranny fluid out of the fill hole.

On fluids. When the trannies were new, the old ('89-'90) "brass" synchro trannies used gear oil, the newer "paper" synchro trannies wanted ATF-type fluid.

Back a bunch of years ago, I got a used tranny ('91 with 93K miles, or a '93 with 91K miles....I forget which). Appears that the fluid was never changed. I went through three fluids before I found one that let it shift well. Synth ATF didn't work, GM Synchromesh didn't work, and I finally tried cheapo AZ Coastal gear oil, and it then shifted just fine.
2006 Grand Prix 17K miles (wife's car)
2002 Grand Marquis 122K miles (work mule)
Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Registered

jedhead is a jewel in the roughjedhead is a jewel in the roughjedhead is a jewel in the rough

I installed a drain plug on my transmission and use Redline D4.

Bob

1991 SHO
2006 Cadillac STS-V
2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z
SHOCal
Car Domain
Old 11-04-2010, 10:45 AM
The Complainer

JRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud of

Here you go: http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=27845

You can use this method until you get a drain plug intalled.

I don't like drilling into the car if I don't have to (and if you don't like the "one shot to get it right" risk), you can rig up something like this. I haven't done a plug because I'm afraid of screwing it up.

I did something similar to the procedure in the link. I got a 1/4 or 1/2" piece of radiator hose (one of them fits perfectly in the hole--I forget which size), and I ran it up through the top of the engine, attached a funnel, tied it to the top of the hood and filled through there.

To evacuate the old tranny fluid, I used a Tempo Oil Boy oil pump (bought it for changing the oil on my jetski).
Do yourself a favor-ball up your fist, punch yourself in the nuts, and then after you replace your timing chain tensioners, go back to that mechanic and smack him in the face with the used tensioners.

Stop being afraid of screwing something up, roll up your sleeves, grab your nuts and get dirty.
09 Corolla S (blk/blk)
95 SHO MTX (wht/tan)
89 SHO (red/gray) still leaks oil
06 Honda Aquatrax F-12X
90 SHO (slvr/blk) SOLD,crushed
93 SHO ATX (wht/tan) SOLD

Last edited by JRA2000TL; 11-04-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Old Dude

RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!

I have been unwilling to drill a hole right into the aluminum. If it could be done right with a steel or brass threaded insert, it might be OK, but if you strip out that hole, you start creating more problems. Sucking it out with a vacuum pump is easy and doesn't take too long.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Registered

itwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid oneitwonder is a splendid one

If you are going to use the suck it out method, then drive the car first so the debris particles will be suspended in the fluid. Otherwise, you just leave all the bad stuff on the bottom.

Fears expressed about drilling and tapping the drain hole are severely overblown. Unless you are an utter idiot, it is a simple job. Drill and tap for a 1/8" pipe thread plug. If you somehow totally botch the job, you can get somebody smarter to help you drill it out for a 1/4" plug. The drain plug is far superior because all the junk sits on the bottom.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Never been a noob...

gmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid one

Don't fear the drain plug Ron, mine's huge, but is now somewhat redundant because of the scavenge fitting for the cooler pump.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:27 PM
CGP

SHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd reccomend changing the fluid at 20-30K intervals.
100k is a long long time to have the same fluid.

Sooner if you autoX/road race.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Registered

jedhead is a jewel in the roughjedhead is a jewel in the roughjedhead is a jewel in the rough

I have a brass insert.

Bob
Old 11-05-2010, 03:20 PM
The Complainer

JRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud of

How come my trannys seem to have a small leak right there along the crease of the case in the pic above (would be vertical in that pic)? Is there a seal there or is it oil/fluid coming from somewhere else? Both of mine are dirty right there with what looks like fresh oil or fluid. Looks like it may be where 2 halves are fitted together.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Know-It-All

jonheese is a name known to alljonheese is a name known to alljonheese is a name known to alljonheese is a name known to alljonheese is a name known to alljonheese is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
How come my trannys seem to have a small leak right there along the crease of the case in the pic above (would be vertical in that pic)? Is there a seal there or is it oil/fluid coming from somewhere else? Both of mine are dirty right there with what looks like fresh oil or fluid. Looks like it may be where 2 halves are fitted together.
That's exactly what it is. Maybe the last person inside your transaxle(s) didn't use the proper anaerobic sealant?
'90 Oxford White/Black MTX - 293k miles (formerly George Fourchy's "Lowrider")
Engine: 65k mile 3.2L / BBBs / Stage 3 SHOSource intake / 80mm Lincoln MAF / TwEECer RT
Trans: Welded MTX-IV / SHOrt Shifter
Suspension: Front & Rear STBs / Rear H-brace / Delrin SFBs / Tokicos/Eibachs
Misc: 96+ Brakes / 5-spoke Ford alloys / Plus Hood / Gen2 Console / Gen2 Alt/Starter
Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Registered

In my picture, the leak I had was at the seal for the speedo gear. Fluid was splashed around then ran down the case to the lowest point.

If its leaking from the case, Jon is right about the proper sealant. This is what I used:
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ge_Sealant.htm

Bob
Old 11-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Old Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
I have a brass insert.

Bob
+1

That looks like the way to go.