SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Generation 4 SHO (2010-present) > Generation 4 - Performance Upgrades

Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Probie

PonySHO is on the right road

N8rfastback, not only the path but the size of the intake. Kinda like covering your mouth while you're jogging.
'70 Boss 302
'89 5.0 with Saleen body kit
'94 Cobra Indy Pace Car
'95 Cobra R
'01 BULLITT
'01 Superformance Cobra 427 S/C
'03 mach 1
'10 Tuxedo Black SHO
Old 05-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

N8rfastback is on the right road

Got my intake on! Sounds and looks great!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Registered

I love this thing. It made the exhaust actually quieter and deeper sounding.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Canuck SHO

Showgun is spectacular!Showgun is spectacular!Showgun is spectacular!

I've had mine on only for a day and not driven too far but I couldn't tell any diff in sound.
I'll have to do a little more listening to see if she's panting a little louder.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered

EcoBrick Bob is spectacular!EcoBrick Bob is spectacular!EcoBrick Bob is spectacular!

The best way to tell how well your Intake CAI works is to stick potato(s) in the exhaust pipe(S) while engine is off. Ram them in really good. Then you start up the car and rev it up. You can calibrate just how much extra better the Modded CAI is, versus stock CAI, by how much further the potato(s) fly. If the difference is over 3 ft. between exhaust outlets, please average....

2004 GTO - 12K Y 6 spd Sold to son - also has 04' R GTO - 55K
Son#2 - 09' G8 GT & 05' Tuned Subaru Frstr Turbo
93 SHO - Red Auto, 91 SHO - Black, 90 SHO - White, 89 SHO - Black - ALL sold
Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Canuck SHO

Only you would come up with that Bob.....
Old 05-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered

EcoBrick Bob is spectacular!EcoBrick Bob is spectacular!EcoBrick Bob is spectacular!

Haven't you ever owned a potato gun???

PVC Pipe, Potato's, and hair spray.... We can shoot potato's about 300 yds!

(before the gun blows up in your face....)

Best I've gotten with a car.... 97 feet!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Registered

i had my windows down and music off, and did a couple runs and I can definately tell its better...

now just gotta get the tuner and she'll really feel like a different car.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Canuck SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob View Post

LOL Bob, so that's what happened to ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8rfastback View Post
i had my windows down and music off, and did a couple runs and I can definately tell its better...

now just gotta get the tuner and she'll really feel like a different car.
I'm waiting for a tune too. Should have it in the next couple days. They say it'll wake this puppy up real good.

I'll have to listen for the exhaust note difference. I certainly wouldn't mind a little more 'noise' in that department.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Registered

mjhpadi is spectacular!mjhpadi is spectacular!mjhpadi is spectacular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob View Post

No, but in college we made a soda can gun (cut tops and bottoms out of the cans-they weren't aluminum yet) duct tape them together squirt of lighter fluid into them. We could launch overripe fruit from one battalion to the another until the OD got wind of it. But made a great way to rain terror on the open quad next to ours!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Registered

David@AIRAID is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8rfastback View Post

I love this thing. It made the exhaust actually quieter and deeper sounding.
Hello N8rfastback,

Install looks great, thanks for the picture and your positive feedback. I am glad you are happy with the product

Thanks,
David
Old 05-14-2011, 12:43 AM
Registered

After the off topic last post I want to get back on topic. I can't say enough about the high quality of the Airaid CAI and their support. David has gone out of his way to offer support to this product. I will be a supporter of Airaid and their products for a long time. Especially after the very poor customer support I received from that other intake company (read K&N) I can tell you that from my experience Airaid is head and shoulders above the other company. Thanks to Airaid and David for their fine products and excellent customer service!

Now if there was just an intake available for our 2004 Explorer with the 4.6 Triton V-8!

Last edited by mjhpadi; 05-14-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:52 AM
Canuck SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhpadi View Post
After the off topic last post I want to get back on topic. I can't say enough about the high quality of the Airaid CAI and their support. David has gone out of his way to offer support to this product. I will be a supporter of Airaid and their products for a long time. Especially after the very poor customer support I received from that other intake company (read K&N) I can tell you that from my experience Airaid is head and shoulders above the other company. Thanks to Airaid and David for their fine products and excellent customer service!

Now if there was just an intake available for our 2004 Explorer with the 4.6 Triton V-8!
+1 on AirAid's product and service from David.
C.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Registered

mriboy is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showgun View Post
C.
+1 on the +1 David does a great job and I love my Airaid CAI.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Registered

Updated photo of my Airaid with the weatherstrip correctly installed:

Last edited by mjhpadi; 05-16-2011 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Resized picture
Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Canuck SHO

That reminds me -- I still must change my stripping around too. Also had it in wrong.

I like the MXP sticker too Mark and I see you got your "Do not Discard" sticker too.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:39 PM
11's in '12 ; )

steve142857 is spectacular!steve142857 is spectacular!

I just ordered the CAI and pre-filter today. I live in Quebec, Canada and found that CarId were the cheapest for the price and the shipping cost... free in US but only 25$ to ship to Canada from NJ. They cahrged me 261.90$ US and 31$US and 24.99$ for shipping for a total of 317.89$ US or about 310CDN$... All included... Looking forward to try the car with it after all the good comments.
Cheers all!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Registered

Actually the CAI will be shipped directly to you from Airaid in Arizona. CarID just takes orders and then your item is shipped directly from the maker.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM
11's in '12 ; )

Quote:
Actually the CAI will be shipped directly to you from Airaid in Arizona. CarID just takes orders and then your item is shipped directly from the maker.
Even better!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Maple Leaf SHO

zeus268 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Updated photo of my Airaid with the weatherstrip correctly installed:

Although the overall install of the CAI was fairly easy, I found that inserting this weatherstripping was the hardest part for me. I too had it installed incorrectly and then went and re-did it. Works fine now, but I needed to "mess around" a little bit to get it perfect.

I received the "Air-Raid" stickers in a few different sizes with my CAI but I never got the "Do not Discard" sticker.... that's actually a good idea to have that on there.

2011 Black on Black
*Full load and tinted all around
*Mobsteel Grille
*AirRaid CAI
*Livernois Tuned Stage 3
*Magnaflow Exhaust
*De-badged & soon to be "Re-badged"

Old 05-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Registered

David@AIRAID is unknown at this point

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showgun View Post
C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriboy View Post
+1 on the +1 David does a great job and I love my Airaid CAI.
Gentleman,

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve142857 View Post
I just ordered the CAI and pre-filter today. I live in Quebec, Canada and found that CarId were the cheapest for the price and the shipping cost... free in US but only 25$ to ship to Canada from NJ. They cahrged me 261.90$ US and 31$US and 24.99$ for shipping for a total of 317.89$ US or about 310CDN$... All included... Looking forward to try the car with it after all the good comments.
Cheers all!
Hello steve142857,

It was a pleasure speaking with you this morning.

Please keep us updated on how it works out for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus268 View Post
Although the overall install of the CAI was fairly easy, I found that inserting this weatherstripping was the hardest part for me. I too had it installed incorrectly and then went and re-did it. Works fine now, but I needed to "mess around" a little bit to get it perfect.

I received the "Air-Raid" stickers in a few different sizes with my CAI but I never got the "Do not Discard" sticker.... that's actually a good idea to have that on there.
Hello zeus268,

One trick for the weatherstrip is to take a flat head screw driver and run it through the weatherstrip to open it up a bit, makes the install much easier.

The "Do Not Discard" sticker does not actually come with the intake system, it's included with the Cleaning kit.

Thanks,
David
Old 05-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Registered

Just ordered one for my new 5.7 hemi 11' Ram sport I pick up on thursday from the dealer.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Maple Leaf SHO

zeus268 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriboy View Post
Just ordered one for my new 5.7 hemi 11' Ram sport I pick up on thursday from the dealer.
Nice! The new Ram Sports are really nice! And I've heard what an AirRaid CAI does to the Hemi Engine Exhaust sound..... you'll love it!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered

Yeah order a 18" magnaflow too, getting rid of stock muffler asap. From the vids I have seen sound good without being to loud.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:19 PM
11's in '12 ; )

Hey guys!
I received my Airaid CAI today and installed it myself (that is rare that I do manual things myself, but it looked not too bad to do). Indeed, it went very well, except the third step when they ask us to remove carefully an anchor... Unable to do it, so I ended up ravaging that poor anchor; but the only consequence of it is that if I want to put back the stock box, I will have to replace that little piece with the anchor... that shouldn't happen anyway.
All-in it took me about 1h15min., taking my time and losing about 15min for that stupid anchor. So, for a newbie like me, you can estimate about an hour all-in for the install.
I used the flat screwdriver to enlarge the seal that goes on top of the box and it took me not even 2 minutes to put it well, so thanks David for the tip.
So, finally, I had ordered the CAI AND a pre-filter from CarID : it took more than 3 weeks for the delivery, UPS charged me custom charges of 90$ that I was not aware (that goes on top of the shipping fees of 25$) and they forgot to put the pre-filter in the package... CarID should expect my call tomorrow as I am not really happy with my experience... Let's see how it ends up and if and how they will arrange things better.
A quick drive in the neighborhood confirms a little whining sound in acceleration and we can here the blow off valve releasing the excess air when we stop WOT... kinda cool...
Now, I need to go to the track again (when weather won't be too hot and humid like now) to see if it can get me in the 12's!!! Come on I am at 13.04 and speed of 109mph!!! so close, if the CAI gives even just 2 hp, I should get there.
Cheers all!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Canuck SHO

Yeah the CAI isn't too bad to install at all and good for a little 'noise'.
Hope to hear it's good for a tenth or 2 also.

G/L at the track
C.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:29 AM
11's in '12 ; )

Finally received the pre-filter I had ordered. BTW bad words from me for CarID... Ended up having to pay 90$ of COD for the CAI and then 15$ of COD for the pre-filter... Not cool. Especially that it took them 3 weeks for the CAI delivery, they had forgotten to put the pre-filter in the shipping, I was not told that COD's would apply even if I asked them a few times... The only positive feedback I have for CarID is the guy when you are on hold is funny... Beside that, bad experience. Here is a picture of final install :

Good product, but after a week, I cannot here the blow off valve anymore... did I already got use to the sound? Maybe... Anyway, thanks Dave for the good service again and the stickers!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Registered

Wow Steve, I almost feel guilty, I got my pre-filter from Summit Racing for only $28.00 and it was free shipping. But I really do like the pre-filter, just checked mine yesterday and I can see no signs of any dirt or debris that has gotten to the filter. I give it thumbs up.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Canuck SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve142857 View Post
Finally received the pre-filter I had ordered. BTW bad words from me for CarID... Ended up having to pay 90$ of COD for the CAI and then 15$ of COD for the pre-filter... Not cool. Especially that it took them 3 weeks for the CAI delivery, they had forgotten to put the pre-filter in the shipping, I was not told that COD's would apply even if I asked them a few times... The only positive feedback I have for CarID is the guy when you are on hold is funny... Beside that, bad experience.

Good product, but after a week, I cannot here the blow off valve anymore... did I already got use to the sound? Maybe... Anyway, thanks Dave for the good service again and the stickers!
Glad you like the filter & CAI, Steve. The screw up on the shipping wasn't so nice tho.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:36 PM
11's in '12 ; )

Quote:
Wow Steve, I almost feel guilty, I got my pre-filter from Summit Racing for only $28.00 and it was free shipping. But I really do like the pre-filter, just checked mine yesterday and I can see no signs of any dirt or debris that has gotten to the filter. I give it thumbs up.
Don't forget I live in Canada and extra charges were brokerage fees from UPS, not directly from CarID. If not, they charged me 31$ for the pre-filter, 261.90$ for the CAI and 24.99$ shipping to Canada.