SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 09-13-2002, 03:27 PM
Registered

aberdeenSHO is on the right road
Learned today why not to add oil to a hot engine...

Ok i drove my car right down the street to get some oil. I didnt think it would be that hot. I was wrong. i spilled some oil on the engine itself and after a second of some really bad smoke, oh look fire! I hosed it (that was my first reflex when seeing fire, prolly stupid) and i don't think anything was damaged because a minute ago it started back up. I don't know if i couldve ****** anything up... is this just common sense not to do that?? heh is there anything i should get checked like i also had to spray a hot engine and i know water on hot metal can warp it although i kept the spray away from the heads... geeze i should never be allowed under the hood of a car i think... that would solve my problems heh... i just wanted to get your alls oppinion on that thanks...
Old 09-13-2002, 03:36 PM
Registered

Nick DOll is on the right road
I dont belive you could have hurt anything, yeah your engine may have been hot but the water on a motor that is fairly warm will not damage. No warping should have occured, I mean...what would have warped? where did the oil drop and start the fire? O well you should be lucky you had it controled, shesh. GET A FUNNEL!! eek!
Old 09-13-2002, 03:48 PM
Registered

91 Plus will become famous soon enough
hehe!!Blue did the same thing one day funniest thing i seen before!

2003 Yahama R6
"I call this my ranch, its where my 220 horses live!"

http://www.cardomain.com/id/91plussho
Old 09-13-2002, 03:50 PM
Registered

BenBrausen is on the right road
The ladys at my work say: "The guys that need funnels are the same guys that pee on the seats in the bathroom. They can't aim."
Old 09-13-2002, 03:55 PM
Registered

CHECK THE LID B4 YOU SIT IN ABERDEENS BATHROOM!!
Old 09-13-2002, 03:59 PM
Registered

HAHA well at least i'm happy to hear at least one other person did the same thing. I kept the spray away from the heads... and the fire was on the lower pasenger side. I was just happy as hell that i didnt put the oil in in the coldesac like my dad wanted me to. He'll be pissed that there is some oil on the drive way but i'd rather have that then sit there and watch my engine explode. do you all think that the engine will catch fire if i drive it now from all the oil on the outside of the engine? I don't care if it smokes off but i don't want it catching fire going down the drive way. thanks...
Old 09-13-2002, 04:04 PM
Registered

ohh heh how the hell do you get oil out of black top
Old 09-13-2002, 04:16 PM
Registered

in my old car...I put oil in it and forgot to put cap back on, I drove 10miles down the highway until I got off on my exit ramp...I saw alot of smoke I knew right then what I did. I pulled over and got out of car and popped hood(also forgetting to TURN CAR OFF) so oil splashed all over me. My motor was covered with oil. I then refilled the car with oil and drove it to the local power washer, to clean engine. Never had problems with fire. You need to go to Manule car wash and put it on "Engine Clean" and rise motor off. Just make sure you have wipped up excess oil b/4 you drive there.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:36 PM
No Mo SHO

SolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to all
you should be alright....the night I got the oil pressure light, I panicked and attempted to add oil to the car when it was REALLY hot and didn't even use a funnel....needless to say, it lit up, but all the oil burnt itself off and the flames died out...

2008 Taurus X Limited AWD - 50k

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T - 115k
---------------------
Old 09-13-2002, 07:33 PM
Registered

shojuan is on the right road
You guys are a hoot! The SHO is a really difficult car to aim the oil into without a funnel. I'm sorry but those ladies are wrong, at least when it comes to the SHO. My funnels are always getting lost and dirty and the best little tip I heard here a short time ago (sorry, I don't remember who, to give credit where credit is due). Take an empty 1 qt oil container and cut it in half. There you go, free funnel.

BTW, I put oil in my hot cars all the time. Never had any catch on fire. Had some smoke from dribbling onto the SHO. That will always just burn off. Close your vent for a day so you don't smell it.

Rick

89 MTX 200,000 miles. | Quaife, CAI, SS pipe, Hidden Hitch | Tokico sluts, Eibach swings, FPS arms, Jose Shift|
*____________| ruined paint, fresh leather, and lead junk in the trunk |TPR bush, blowup roof rack, and popo grill up front|
*____________| CF hoody, extrude ho, BBB | Kirk's mounts, Al SFB, and TCE
94 ATX 121,000 miles. "The White Beater" pristine paint and leather. Stock except for tiny 96 brakes.

SHOforum TOS*_ ___ _
SHOforum Guidelines*__*"How To" Guides
SHOforum FAQs*_ ____ _ *How to read SHO diagnostic codes
Old 09-13-2002, 07:46 PM
Registered

rangerj will become famous soon enough
FYI,

"They" still make small size fire extinguishers for the specific purpose of being carried in an automobile for situations like the ones in these posts!

Further, if you all work on your own cars you are all working with possible fire hazards, such as gasoline, oil, paint thinner, etc. Do you have a fire extinguisher in your garage?

I preach about working on cars SAFELY because, S**T happens. It does't have to happen to YOU.

Think about it. What could be more fun than safely completing a 60K project, and then having a 12 pack of Molsens Golden (or two) with the friend that helped you? Food for thought, rangerj
Old 09-13-2002, 08:05 PM
Registered

shojuan is on the right road
Hell, I had the 12 pack all by myself! And probably another one while adjusting the valves, what a great way to pass the time!

Help with a 60K? What's that? Just Kidding, the forum was a great help when I had questions. Too bad you can't help remove the hood from across the wire. The hood wasn't as heavy as I was expecting however.

Rick