SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Performance Upgrades - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Electronics & Audio

Old 07-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Registered

Mossdahaus is on the right road
Default what screws to use - sub enclosure

I just bought a JL Audio 8w0-4 to replace my old, tired, blown sub and was wondering what kind of screws to use? Also, should I drill some pilot holes for the screws when installing the sub. This is my firs ever experiance with subwoofers so please excuse my ignorance!

Pioneer speakers & JL 8W0-4 in stock enclosure

Monroe sensa-trac with Moog CC (-1 & -.5)

Soon: SFCs, STBs, H-brace and 96+ brakes.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:46 AM
Registered

pb2themax is unknown at this point

Depends what wood you are using. I assume it's MDF. Are you just screwing in the 8 screws around the perimeter of the sub? I'd use 1-1/4" coarse drywall screws. Try not to strip out the holes by overtightening.

Last edited by pb2themax; 07-17-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:54 AM
PiMPSKiLLET

Eric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud ofEric VerValin has much to be proud of

Yep... I was going to say drywall screws too... might want 1 1/2 depending if that ring is fat... who knows... but drill a baby size hole... and screw it in by hand.. you can't screw it up that way.. and it would take a sledge hammer to get it out once you get 15 of those in there like that. They'll be squeaky and hard to turn in there.. but it'll hold.

Car Domain My work
Old 07-17-2010, 07:15 AM
Registered

93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty easy to break the heads off of drywall screws when they bottom out on the MDF. It's what I'd use, but pilot holes are essential. Make sure the drill is in low gear (if you have a choice) and don't use a lot of speed.

If you are trying to put the sub in the stock sub box, you will need to enlarge the hole and fabricate a mounting ring that you will screw and glue to the lip of hole in the box.
It's like we all had a premonition that he'd be less stupid some day....:laugh_ti:
23 year old Taurus
Old 07-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Hurry up meow.

the4biddendonut is spectacular!the4biddendonut is spectacular!

Drywall screws work. I like to use pan head screws though.

The best thing to use are t nuts and bolts, especially if the sub is really heavy or you're going to remove the sub frequently. This is overkill for most people though.

"The computer beat me at Chess once, but it was no match for me at Kickboxing. "

Last edited by the4biddendonut; 07-18-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: added picture.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Registered

pb2themax is unknown at this point

I like hurricane nuts, but they are kinda hard to install if the sub box is already built. Its best to install them before the front panel is screwed on.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=081-1084