SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 07-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Registered

flyinbri57 is unknown at this point
Default Crankshaft position sensor/Timing belt

I have a 95 SHO, 3.0L with 97K miles on it, and recently it has started to buck while driving. Eventually it goes away and the check engine light goes out. I've pulled the code on it and gotten a 214 - CID. Everything leads me to believe it is the CPS. Is this assumption accurate before I take it in to get replaced? I'd do it myself but just don't have the proper tools. If anyone in the St. Louis area has any mechanics they trust/recommend, please let me know. Also, while it is taken apart, should I go ahead and replace the timing belt? The one on it is the original. Thanks for any help!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered

rubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud of

If I get a code for the cam sensor, then I change the cam sensor, not some other part. The symptoms you describe can be caused by the cam sensor failing, so why not change the part that the code tells you is bad?
98 Green Mountaineer awd 5.0 - for sale!
03 Tan Subaru Outback 3.0
former SHOs include 94 re atx, 94 wh atx x2, 93 gr atx, 94 bl mtx, 97 bk, 98 bk, 95 gr atx->mtx, 93 bl mtx, 93 bl atx, 95 bl atx, 95 gr atx, 92 wh mtx

Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Registered

flyinbri57 is unknown at this point

Pardon my ignorance....I've been told both could cause it, so I'm not just deciding to change another part because I feel like it. That's why I'm asking questions on here from people with a higher level of intelligence and experience than myself. Thanks again for the advice
Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Never been a noob...

gmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid onegmorrell is a splendid one

Try driving it for a bit with the CID unplugged - really.

It will start and run, you may have to try to crank it a few times for the DIS and EEC to "guess" the injector and ignition synchronization - it's designed to do that if the CID goes TU. If the bucking goes away, then you probably have a bad CID.

Yeah, it could be the crank sensor, but the CID replacement "level of difficulty" is 1, the crank sensor replacement "level of difficulty" is near 1 0. Let's verify or rule-out the CID first.

The procedure for starting with the CID disconnected:
1. Key-on, crank.
2. If it doesn't start, key-off. Go back to 1.

You must key-off in between cranking attempts.
1999 SVT Contour (Sedanus-Grocerygetteris-Rapidus)
"If thine IAC offends thee, pluck it out!"
Old 07-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Registered

riden2low is unknown at this point

Well I just did my crankcase sensor. I replaced the timing belt and cam and crankshaft seals while I had it opened up. The water pump was replaced and why the previous owner did not do the other I have no idea. My crankshaft seal was starting to leak, the camshafts, two were ok but the camshaft sensor was leaking to the point I thought it was the power steering as the camshaft sensor sits just above the pump. So yes, if you can do it, do it all at once and be done with it. I am a first time owner of a 93 SHO and found this site which has help out a lot. Take their advice.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 AM
CGP

SHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find replacing the cam sensor will fix the issue.
walser (02-11-2011)