SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Engine, Exhaust, Drive Line & AC systems

Old 01-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Registered

jmpSHO will become famous soon enoughjmpSHO will become famous soon enough
Default valve adjustment, how important is it?

I did a couple tune ups on my other SHOs before I started coming on the forum and I never knew about the valve adjustment and i never did one before. I read about it on the sho phoenix site and it seems like extra work that might not be needed. My SHO has 300k and I never adjusted the valves but it is time for valve cover gaskets, o-rings and plugs again. I guess my question is; is it really that important.

95 Green ATX
94 Red ATX
The following user says thank you to jmpSHO for this post:
Joe_SHO (01-30-2010)
Old 01-30-2010, 03:04 PM
SHOHOLIC

Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Up to date Ive never seen a SHO that needed adjustments THAT much , if you`re on a budget and theres no tapping noises , I would leave it alone if it was my DD.

2002 Taurus with 3.2 MTX Cammed and modded @ 241 WHP N/A.

UPLOAD ALL YOUR SHO PICTURES: Shospeed.com

Currently working on: 92 SHOGUN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
jmpSHO (01-30-2010), Joe_SHO (01-30-2010)
Old 01-30-2010, 03:05 PM
CGP

SHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond reputeSHOtime2511 has a reputation beyond repute

well,if you have the valve covers off its very easy to check valve clearance.
personally I think valve adjustments on these cars were an over blown issue that originated way back in the day.
jmpSHO (01-30-2010), Joe_SHO (01-30-2010)
Old 01-30-2010, 08:06 PM

SHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of light

When I did my first valve adjustment I found some valves that were out of spec, but not a lot.

The size of the shims is on the bottom of the shim. I made a map of my motor and wrote down what size was where.

Then I flipped all the shims...and gave the cams a new wear area to move on. A lot of time the shims will become concave from the cam constantly wearing on it.

Doug
99 MBZ 230 Kompressor - 149k
Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Registered

SHOlover1 is unknown at this point

i think its important if its taping but if not don't worrie about it.
My 92 actually threw a valve shim and bent and smashed the valve and bucket a valve from not having the valves adjusted
Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 PM
The Complainer

JRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud of

My car was tapping like hell in the valvetrain. I pulled the hood (easier to get to the back), pulled both covers and checked the valves. Not 1 was out of spec. I replaced my camshaft due to a damaged/pitted lobe and replaced a shim (2550 shim I think) because it had some slight scratches. Put it back together, it still tapped. Added Lucas oil stabilizer, ran the hell out of the car for a few days letting the engine get good and hot; and it has quieted down so much the noise is almost non existent now except once in a while on a cold start. I just had a sticky valve or something.

They are easy to check if you have the intake off already. If you so desire, just get a feeler gauge and check them. As long as nothing is really out of whack, don't bother renting the tools and changing anything out as there is no need.

Really, it's not that hard. This is coming from the guy who put off doing his for over a year out of fear I'd tear it up. It was nothing. Just took some time, that's all.
Do yourself a favor-ball up your fist, punch yourself in the nuts, and then after you replace your timing chain tensioners, go back to that mechanic and smack him in the face with the used tensioners.

Stop being afraid of screwing something up, roll up your sleeves, grab your nuts and get dirty.
09 Corolla S (blk/blk)
95 SHO MTX (wht/tan)
89 SHO (red/gray) still leaks oil
06 Honda Aquatrax F-12X
90 SHO (slvr/blk) SOLD,crushed
93 SHO ATX (wht/tan) SOLD

Last edited by JRA2000TL; 01-30-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:15 PM
wildchild

shonuffmine is a jewel in the roughshonuffmine is a jewel in the roughshonuffmine is a jewel in the roughshonuffmine is a jewel in the rough
Talking

If you are pulling the covers ,run a feeler gauge on em and do a visual inspection of the contact areas,there is a reason it,s called preventive maintaince !

2005 king ranch F-250 6.0
1988 XR4Ti merkur blk on blk
1990 blk on blk
1991 blk on blk gone to the junkyard
1991 rootbeer on mocha Kirk crushed it!!!
1995 ATX moonlight on mocha daily driver
1983 t-bird turbo coupe blk on tan
Old 01-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOtime2511 View Post
well,if you have the valve covers off its very easy to check valve clearance.
personally I think valve adjustments on these cars were an over blown issue that originated way back in the day.
It seems easy enough to check the clearance but if one is out of spec I am assuming I would have to order a shim and have my car not running until I get one or however many i may need.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
My car was tapping like hell in the valvetrain. I pulled the hood (easier to get to the back), pulled both covers and checked the valves. Not 1 was out of spec. I replaced my camshaft due to a damaged/pitted lobe and replaced a shim (2550 shim I think) because it had some slight scratches. Put it back together, it still tapped. Added Lucas oil stabilizer, ran the hell out of the car for a few days letting the engine get good and hot; and it has quieted down so much the noise is almost non existent now except once in a while on a cold start. I just had a sticky valve or something.

They are easy to check if you have the intake off already. If you so desire, just get a feeler gauge and check them. As long as nothing is really out of whack, don't bother renting the tools and changing anything out as there is no need.

Really, it's not that hard. This is coming from the guy who put off doing his for over a year out of fear I'd tear it up. It was nothing. Just took some time, that's all.
Like I said it's not checking them that's a problem, it's getting a new shim that bothers me.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:04 PM

SHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of lightSHOtimer is a beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpSHO View Post
It seems easy enough to check the clearance but if one is out of spec I am assuming I would have to order a shim and have my car not running until I get one or however many i may need.
www.shosource.com
www.shonutperformance.com

...both offer rental shim kits. So, you can have an assortment on hand.

www.rcmautomotive.com offers used and new shims for sale.

Doug
The following user says thank you to SHOtimer for this post:
jmpSHO (01-30-2010)
Old 01-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOtimer View Post
www.shosource.com
www.shonutperformance.com

...both offer rental shim kits. So, you can have an assortment on hand.

www.rcmautomotive.com offers used and new shims for sale.

Doug
Thanks I didn't know i could rent a kit. Now I will definately do the valve adjustment.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Registered

rubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud ofrubydist has much to be proud of

By all means check them. I've never seen one that was too tight, but you certainly don't want it out of spec on the tight side. If they are too loose, you can make an informed decision about whether you want to do the work to get it back in spec.
98 Green Mountaineer awd 5.0 - for sale!
03 Tan Subaru Outback 3.0
former SHOs include 94 re atx, 94 wh atx x2, 93 gr atx, 94 bl mtx, 97 bk, 98 bk, 95 gr atx->mtx, 93 bl mtx, 93 bl atx, 95 bl atx, 95 gr atx, 92 wh mtx

Old 01-31-2010, 12:33 AM
The Complainer

JRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud of

Don't worry about the shims. I have extra, Bill (SHObill) has a kit with lots of extras, etc. Shims can be had easily with just a post requesting them. I pulled my extras from a j/y SHO.