SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Generation 4 SHO (2010-present) > Generation 4 - General Discusson

Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered

mkaresh is unknown at this point
Default Ford Taurus reliability - better info

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We've had good participation by Taurus owners, with over 400 signed up. But more 2010s will be needed to provide full results for it. If enough SHO owners participate, I'll provide separate stats for the SHO.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Taurus, for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research
Old 01-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Sorta cares

hawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond repute

So, is this like... spam... or what? I'm having a hard time telling... lol

My radar sees farther than your SHO can drive on a tank.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Mental Patient

SuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond repute

you be quiet and pay attention to what's going on around you! shouldn't you be on a guard tower or something?

R.I.P.
SPC Noah "Doobie" Pierce
SGT James "Hodgie" Hodgekiss
SGT Steve Butcher

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Registered

Depends on whether you want to make an already tough job tougher, or not.

I'm putting about 70 hours a week into this. Sometimes people opt to help out, and then we get something going. Other times they take a less productive view, and we don't.

We do have quite a few participants in the military. From them I hear life is still far from easy in Iraq, even if we don't hear as much in the news anymore.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Sorta cares

hawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond reputehawkeye18 has a reputation beyond repute

lol I was just giving you crap. I have a finely tuned spam detector (I have friends from hawaii) and this didn't set it off.

And, I'm STILL not in friggin' iraq. I'm still stuck here in purgatory (kuwait). I mean, it's not bad and all, but I'd rather just be there already.

And, I don't do guard towers; I do guard guns. Witness my avatar (click through to my profile for a better pic!)

Edit: Not that it helps any, but if I had a 2010 (or, indeed any car at all right now) I would participate. The only vehicle I ride nowadays is an MRAP, though...

Last edited by hawkeye18; 01-26-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Registered

I gather this is your first tour over there?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Sorta cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
I gather this is your first tour over there?
Yes... and it damn well should be, I'm in the Navy. We're not supposed to be doing this crap.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Registered

They're giving sailors assignments on land now?

Ever stationed in Norfolk? I'm from Virginia Beach. There are some really good Ford dealers in that area.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Ecoboost

wchain will become famous soon enough

mkaresh posts on lots of forums, and collects this data to share with the world on reliability of vehicles.
2010 SHO 400B w/12S - Ford buyback
Old 01-26-2010, 03:53 PM
SHO Guru

SHO U UP is a jewel in the roughSHO U UP is a jewel in the roughSHO U UP is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
They're giving sailors assignments on land now?

Ever stationed in Norfolk? I'm from Virginia Beach. There are some really good Ford dealers in that area.
I can vouch for that, plus there are some not-so-nice dealers too in this area.

-2010 Silver Gen 4-arrived 10-6-2009!
-1996 Medium Graphite Gen 3 MTX & Supercharged!!

-1997 Supercharged Gen 3....FINALLY!!
*SOLD* to STL SHO 2-11-2011
-6 other SHOs sold to new homes....

-2014 Ford Escape SE Another Ecoboost in the family..
-2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 (5" and 33" Toyos)
-2001 Lightning SVT- Low&Lethal - 695 rwhp/705rwtq on 19#s. *SOLD* 12-8-2012
-1997 F-150 4x4 Monster truck *SOLD* 5-7-2010
The following user says thank you to SHO U UP for this post:
luigisho (01-26-2010)
Old 01-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Registered

I worked for a Chevrolet dealer down there during the summer of 1986. They had the lowest CSI in the region, and deserved it. The Ford dealer next door, where my best friend worked, was a much better place for both employees and customers.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchain View Post
mkaresh posts on lots of forums, and collects this data to share with the world on reliability of vehicles.
Thanks for putting a good word in. I want to provide results for all cars, and since most forums focus on a single model...

A few other Taurus forums have been helping out, so I'm a bit surprised only 15 2010s are signed up so far. We have 26 2010s (on top of 95 2009s) for the Flex, and I'm pretty sure the Taurus outsells the Flex by quite a margin.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Mental Patient

SuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye18
And, I'm STILL not in friggin' iraq. I'm still stuck here in purgatory (kuwait). I mean, it's not bad and all, but I'd rather just be there already.
Don't get too excited...it's been 7 years since I've been there, but I really enjoyed the working plumbing at the Doha PX when I re-deployed. After 13 months of crapping in a port-a-potty or a hole in the dirt, it was interesting to watch it just swirl away........

Quote:
And, I don't do guard towers; I do guard guns. Witness my avatar (click through to my profile for a better pic!)
You ain't livin till you've worn a 33 ton suit of armor equipped with a fully automatic, belt-fed 25mm cannon at your fingertips. Wanna talk piece of mind?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Registered

2010sho is unknown at this point

I can vouch for this gentleman as well.

I believe I have 2 or 3 vehicles registered with him. I do my best to keep up when he sends out his email reminders.

If I can ask what are we suppose to do when we sell a vehicle off.

I'm guessing you still have my 08 Taurus and maybe even a 06- 500.

As of now we still have the 07 Pacifica and now a SHO.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Registered

It's now possible to report cars sold by going to "My Garage" on the site and clicking on the "change status" link.

But if this is from way back, it might be best to just email me with the month/year sold and the models and model years of the new cars.

Link for that:

http://www.truedelta.com/contact.php
Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Registered

Now 21 2010s signed up. Better, but more remain needed for a full result in May.

Help make this happen:

Car reliability research
Old 04-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Registered

Now 28. We'll have a partial result for the 2010 Taurus next month, but more participants remain needed for a full result.

Help make this happen:

Car reliability research
Old 04-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Probie

PonySHO is on the right road

How many do you need to break out an SHO listing?
'70 Boss 302
'89 5.0 with Saleen body kit
'94 Cobra Indy Pace Car
'95 Cobra R
'01 BULLITT
'01 Superformance Cobra 427 S/C
'03 mach 1
'10 Tuxedo Black SHO
Old 04-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Registered

At least 25, but in practice at least 40. It's doable.

Unless the powertrain ends up having problems, though, it won't be necessary in the near term.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Registered

We're not able to break out the SHO yet, BUT we will have a full rather than a partial result for the 2010 Taurus this month. Thanks, guys.

Working toward splitting out the SHO, just a matter of getting enough owners involved:

Car reliability research
Old 06-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Registered

We have an intial reliability stat for the 2010 Ford Taurus based on owner experiences through March 31, 2010.

With a reported repair rate of 73 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the new Taurus is about average, but not far from "worse than average." This is similar to the results for the related Flex and MKS in their first model year.

A big thank you to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide.

Ford Taurus reliability comparisons
Old 06-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Registered

thepawn is on the right road

Submit my Taurus and my Lightning.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Registered

itguy08 is on the right road

So why do I care that 70 some out of 100 cars go to the dealer for something? Is this broken down by incident? I'd not care about reliability if 69 of those are rattles, burned out bulbs, power stuff not working, etc. Now if 69 of those were engine, transmission, brake, suspension, etc. that would be useful.

Merely stating that xxx out of yyy cars needed repairs is useless. Reliability is not "how many trips to the shop" but rather frequency of major issues. If my car rattles it's an issue but it doesn't make it unreliable. If the engine blows that's unreliable.

Last edited by itguy08; 06-16-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Registered

Some people are like you, others don't want to have to take the car in for anything beyond routine maintenance.

Few problems these days prevent the car from being driven. I collect the information necessary to separate out severe problems, but we need more participants before it will be possible to post a separate set of stats for these. The more rare something is, the larger the sample size you need to accurately measure it.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Ecoboost

wchain will become famous soon enough

Wonder how many of those people took them in for taillights....
Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Registered

itguy08 is on the right road

That's what mine was in for - oil change, rattle, and taillights. Nothing major or anything that would indicate less than stellar reliability.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Registered

All of the repairs reported are posted to the site, under "repair histories." I haven't checked the specifics in this case.

What has been the problem with the tail lights? I gather that it could be common.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Registered

We have an updated reliability stat for the 2010 Ford Taurus based on owner experiences through June 30, 2010.

Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

With a reported repair rate of 80 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the new Taurus is about average, but very close to "worse than average."

About half of all reported repairs are for chrome trim peeling off the tail lights--thanks for the tip, wchain.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide.

To see how competitors compare, and sign up to help:

Ford Taurus reliability comparisons
Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Registered

Starting this month we have a new question to measure, as objectively as possible, the severity of a problem. Many people have been asking for reliability stats that weight problems by how severe they are, and once we have enough responses with the revised survey we'll start providing this.

Also this month: updated reliability stats.

As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone.

Car reliability research
Old 11-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Registered

mjhpadi is spectacular!mjhpadi is spectacular!mjhpadi is spectacular!
Thumb Down

Quote:
Starting this month we have a new question to measure, as objectively as possible, the severity of a problem. Many people have been asking for reliability stats that weight problems by how severe they are, and once we have enough responses with the revised survey we'll start providing this.

Also this month: updated reliability stats.

As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone.

Car reliability research
This website isn't very user friendly, I tried to get to the surveys and it takes me somewhere else in the site...can't say as it has done anything to impress me, since I can't input any information. Probably will not back to it, so information I find there has no validity as far as I'm concerned.