SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Troubleshooting & Performance Upgrades - V8 (96-99) > V8 - Performance Upgrades

Old 09-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Registered

seamus_id is unknown at this point
Default RWD Conversion for Gen 3

I have a gen 3 98 SHO Which was given to my by my cousin. I have never heard of the SHO. Now that I have Zomg I love this car. I have gotten in deep to the sho world. I love working on and moding my sho. Now the sad part. I am in deep in the drifting world. My last car was a 240 sx with a full s13 front end conversion. there is a great drift track right by my house. However it seems there are no RWD conversions for this gen. I have access to some machining tools at a friends shop so I think I can make what ever I need. But now the question has anyone ever tried to RWD convert one of these gens? If so any ideas on trannys, bell housings, drivetrains and the like. Or must I try to find a gen 1,2? I love this car I love that no one in a WRK looks at my car and expects to get owned. However RWD would rock my world help please.

seamus
Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 AM
Registered

firebat45 is awesome!firebat45 is awesome!firebat45 is awesome!firebat45 is awesome!firebat45 is awesome!

If you've got the tools, you can do anytthing. Lincoln LS I believe has a RWD tranny that bolts up to the V8, and Quads4Rods also makes a Duratec adapter that I believe will work, but I'm not sure. Honestly, unless you have deep deep love for the sleeper look/Taurus, put the V8 into an S13 or something instead of trying to RWD the SHO. It's quite an undertaking.
'98 Black SHO Windstar - Racecar!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:26 AM

stephen newberg will become famous soon enough

Before worrying about RWD, might be a good idea to be sure that the cam sprockets are properly welded up to the shafts.

pax, smn
Cold air intake, K&N panel, SARC switch, 4 gauge instrumentation cluster, Front Strut Brace, ASFB, Eibach springs, 23mm rear sway bar, Yokohama Advan S.4. tires, wired open secondaries, FPS trans cooler, Magnaflow 99000 cats, Flowmaster 40 mufflers, and welded cam sprockets. Complete body restoration in 2010.

New DD: '11 metallic blue Porsche C4S.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Mental Patient

SuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond repute

is there room under the hood to turn the mighty beast N/S? not so much width wise, but height wise? anything's possible with the right tools, enough money and a certain amount of insanity.

R.I.P.
SPC Noah "Doobie" Pierce
SGT James "Hodgie" Hodgekiss
SGT Steve Butcher

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Registered

aarmel732 is spectacular!aarmel732 is spectacular!

They make carbon fiber cowl hoods to cover you on the height issue. It is just about enough to clear a Terminator. (Need about another 1/2")
2006 Exploder
2006 Focus ST
Old 09-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Got 1000 hp?!?

SuperchargedSHOguy has much to be proud ofSuperchargedSHOguy has much to be proud ofSuperchargedSHOguy has much to be proud ofSuperchargedSHOguy has much to be proud ofSuperchargedSHOguy has much to be proud ofSuperchargedSHOguy has much to be proud ofSuperchargedSHOguy has much to be proud ofSuperchargedSHOguy has much to be proud ofSuperchargedSHOguy has much to be proud of

Do it!

1996 Dodge Viper GTS
2003 Dodge Ram
Old 09-05-2009, 05:50 AM
Registered

firebat45 is awesome!firebat45 is awesome!firebat45 is awesome!firebat45 is awesome!firebat45 is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarmel732 View Post
They make carbon fiber cowl hoods to cover you on the height issue. It is just about enough to clear a Terminator. (Need about another 1/2")
They don't help where it's needed (along the front edge of the hood, basically). In the pic below, there's tons of engine clearance, it's the TB that's sticking so far forward that the slope of the hood gets closer and closer. Luckily I just have enough room. Supercharged has his intake the other way around and his DIS module is very close.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to firebat45 For This Useful Post:
gmail (12-04-2009), Sho Amo (01-10-2010), shonuffmine (12-02-2009), SHOspazz92 (09-05-2009), warmonger (12-03-2009)
Old 09-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Back in School!

Ict_Lx is on the right road

I think that the v8, in order to fit everything under the hood comfortably in a N/S configuration, would require a new custom intake. Either something that is a lower profile, or just a relocation of where the air actually comes into the intake. Maybe two separate parts (one on each bank) with the air coming into the side? Just a thought.
-98' BC SHO (traded in)
-97' ES SHO (Sold)
-96' SF LX (Died)

"Crush your enemy totally. More is lost through stopping halfway than through total annihilation. Crush him, not only in body but in spirit." -The 48 laws of power
Old 09-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ict_Lx View Post
I think that the v8, in order to fit everything under the hood comfortably in a N/S configuration, would require a new custom intake. Either something that is a lower profile, or just a relocation of where the air actually comes into the intake. Maybe two separate parts (one on each bank) with the air coming into the side? Just a thought.
This is a good idea. No real loss getting rid of the V8 intake, you can probably come up with something better looking on your own. Dual plenums/TBs would look cool, or if you want to be awesomer, ITBs.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Back in School!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebat45 View Post
This is a good idea. No real loss getting rid of the V8 intake, you can probably come up with something better looking on your own. Dual plenums/TBs would look cool, or if you want to be awesomer, ITBs.
Lol! Hadn't thought of that. ITB's would that be fun to try and fab up.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered

seamus_id is unknown at this point

wow thanks for the responses. this is some really great info. Firebat of course I have mad love for the sho. my roommate drive an s13 does absolutely nothing for me. I love sleepers. mainly because I hate porsche and WRX drivers, and this car puts them in there place.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Back in School!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus_id View Post
wow thanks for the responses. this is some really great info. Firebat of course I have mad love for the sho. my roommate drive an s13 does absolutely nothing for me. I love sleepers. mainly because I hate porsche and WRX drivers, and this car puts them in there place.
Something else to think about is what you will drive while your current ride is under the knife. Could take some time to get everything worked out.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:45 PM
SHOpwrdMR2?

byersmith is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ict_Lx View Post
Something else to think about is what you will drive while your current ride is under the knife. Could take some time to get everything worked out.
Exactly. THE absolute first mistake most people make when trying to mod their DD.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Mental Patient

SuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond reputeSuperHO has a reputation beyond repute

thought regarding intake manifold: what about something akin to the 350z setup? plenum on each side with 1 runner per cylinder crossing through each other, possibly fed by two seperate rear oriented throttle bodies? or just talk to doug lewis about getting his prototype dual runner setup and recreating it...
Old 09-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Rowboat Design

venom is spectacular!venom is spectacular!venom is spectacular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebat45 View Post
If you've got the tools, you can do anytthing. Lincoln LS I believe has a RWD tranny that bolts up to the V8, and Quads4Rods also makes a Duratec adapter that I believe will work, but I'm not sure. Honestly, unless you have deep deep love for the sleeper look/Taurus, put the V8 into an S13 or something instead of trying to RWD the SHO. It's quite an undertaking.
Yeah as I am looking at it, best sources for a potential tranny are from the Lincoln LS / Jag S-Type.

Go for it!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 PM
NO SHO

Laminar is on the right road

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
Yeah as I am looking at it, best sources for a potential tranny are from the Lincoln LS / Jag S-Type.

Go for it!
I've read that Ford chose not to use the Getrag 221 5 speed manual from the V6 LS in the V8 LS/Jag because it couldn't take the power. I believe the LS's 3.9L V8 put out somewhere around 252hp. The SHO V8 with a few power adders wouldn't be too far off of that number. Unless the car you put it all in was significantly lighter, I worry that you'd end up ruining transmissions.

I'm very interested in anyone trying something like this, though.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:03 PM
High Hopes

Rubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud of

Too bad this project never got underway (I'm assuming). OP hasn't posted since this thread and hasn't been on the forum in about 2 months. I'd be surprised if he still has the SHO.

A gen 3 owning WRX's and Porsches?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:29 PM
never running!

deercrusher will become famous soon enough

i'd still like to know what happened to the guy who wanted to make an adapter that would allow the chevy th transmissions to be bolted up to our motors?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:06 PM
mmmmm ... turbo

HotRodKid is a splendid oneHotRodKid is a splendid oneHotRodKid is a splendid oneHotRodKid is a splendid oneHotRodKid is a splendid oneHotRodKid is a splendid oneHotRodKid is a splendid one

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercrusher View Post
i'd still like to know what happened to the guy who wanted to make an adapter that would allow the chevy th transmissions to be bolted up to our motors?
Chevy tranny to a SHO V6?

i post here regularly, and pictures have already been posted of a chevy th bolted to a v6 engine
Old 12-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodKid View Post
Chevy tranny to a SHO V6?

i post here regularly, and pictures have already been posted of a chevy th bolted to a v6 engine
You had plans to sell the adapter, is that still going to happen?
Old 12-03-2009, 03:43 AM
mmmmm ... turbo

HotRodKid is a splendid oneHotRodKid is a splendid oneHotRodKid is a splendid oneHotRodKid is a splendid oneHotRodKid is a splendid oneHotRodKid is a splendid oneHotRodKid is a splendid one

eventually, alex and i have to get around to seeing what it will take to make a TC fit, and we also have to see if a stock water neck will fit, and then figure out where the tranny case needs to be notched to make the engine-to-adapter plate bolts fit properly.

and i have to devise an adjustable set of locating pins between the adapter and tranny so every tranny can be adjusted to being perfectly centered on the crank centerline so that people aren't shredding transmissions during 9000 rpm runs
Old 12-03-2009, 03:40 PM
"Super Dave"

mustangracer91 will become famous soon enoughmustangracer91 will become famous soon enough

I'm seriously wanting a trans adapter for a 3.4L gen3 motor. t5/c4/gm, I don't care, I just wanna put it n/s in my project chassis.

7k rpm runs is really all I'm wanting it to handle...hehehe
'68 Mustang GT garaged project
'99 White Buick Park Ave. Ultra...the DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzy
"...we don't need a 3 page thread dedicated to folks crabbing about how ___ a car is/is not and then others retorting about how it's none of the other people's concern. It makes us look like a forum full of blabbering idiots."
Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 AM
NO SHO

Laminar is on the right road

Here's another question: Should the oil pan be modified for a longitudinal application? I ask this because the 3.0 Duratec in the Lincoln LS has a markedly different oil pan and sump system than the normal transverse 3.0 Duratec. Here's what the Lincoln LS's pan looks like:

There's almost a separate tank on the front of the pan where the sump pulls oil from.

Would it be a good idea to modify the 3.4 V8's pan in a similar fashion to prevent any kind of oil starvation of would it be okay?
Old 12-04-2009, 03:00 AM
"Super Dave"

mustangracer91 will become famous soon enoughmustangracer91 will become famous soon enough

as I can tell, the pan is a rear sump arrangment, with a nice little windage tray...so frankly unless it's a front sump chassis it's being installed into, like how the 3.0L LS is, I don't see any reason to modify the oil pan.