SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Suspension, Brake Systems, & Body

Old 07-15-2009, 03:21 AM
3.0ld

Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!
Default My brakes fell off

There is a problem with this picture.

And this one:

This might explain things better:

The moral of the story: make sure all of your brake caliper pins are nice and snug! I'm going to run off and pray now...

On another note, I found out what that grinding noise was about!

Last edited by Devin; 07-15-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Ken is a bad, bad boy and should be banned

Kens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud ofKens1992mtxSHO has much to be proud of

Wow. Could have been a close call there.

Live in the Washington DC Area?
Come check out the CapitalSHO Club

2004 G35 Twilight Blue 6MT Sedan
1992 Deep Jewel Green Metallic/Mocha - SOLD
1991 SHO Plus Green/Black - SOLD

Old 07-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Registered

93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute

If you had 17" rims, it coulda got ugly.
It's like we all had a premonition that he'd be less stupid some day....:laugh_ti:
23 year old Taurus
Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 AM
3.0ld

Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!Devin is awesome!

That was my thought. I have very fortunate break downs. I only had to travel about half a mile with the caliper contacting my rim. Now I have to extract the bolt that sheared off and get a replacement. I think I'll be replacing the hose too just in case.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:09 PM
ATX Sho Member

Danz13 will become famous soon enough

Blue loctite
Old 07-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Registered

FastAndFurious will become famous soon enoughFastAndFurious will become famous soon enough

It looks like whoever worked on the brakes tightened the slider pin too much or did not grease the slider pin, and the pin got stuck in the boot.

91 Black on Black - Sold
89 Black - New Ride
Autox prepped (mods? too many..)
The following user says thank you to FastAndFurious for this post:
Devin (07-16-2009)
Old 07-15-2009, 03:23 PM
E85 whore

yamahaSHO has a reputation beyond reputeyamahaSHO has a reputation beyond reputeyamahaSHO has a reputation beyond reputeyamahaSHO has a reputation beyond reputeyamahaSHO has a reputation beyond reputeyamahaSHO has a reputation beyond reputeyamahaSHO has a reputation beyond reputeyamahaSHO has a reputation beyond reputeyamahaSHO has a reputation beyond reputeyamahaSHO has a reputation beyond reputeyamahaSHO has a reputation beyond repute

Horrible picture, but it looks like the threads snapped off.

Previous SHO's:
1992 White - 185 whp
1995 Red - 500+ whp E85

Want to run on E85?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:03 PM
#1 Oil Abuser

38SHO is a splendid one38SHO is a splendid one38SHO is a splendid one38SHO is a splendid one38SHO is a splendid one38SHO is a splendid one38SHO is a splendid one

the bolt broke, good luck getting the old one off

now might even be a good time for a knuckle/brake upgrade so you don't have to deal with those pos brakes....... how long has it been since that bolt has been removed on a brake job or such?

also u can't really tell from the pics how deep the groove is in the wheel, but if its noticeable, I'd have the wheel checked out by a wheel repair company and get a professional opinion from them wether its safe to use or not

RIP
1993 Silver Frost 3.2L MTX
15.1@95

Click for in car video

Last edited by 38SHO; 07-15-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 AM
3.0ld

Yeah, my phone doesn't take very good pics.

The groove isn't very deep at all. Probably as wide as a pencil and a 1/4 as deep.

I can only blame myself for the brakes! Though a set of upgraded ones aren't in the cards yet. I got new pins and a new brake hose, so I'll check everything out when I go back to the car.

The new pins have thread locker already on them luckily.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:18 AM
No Mo SHO

SolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to all

aren't the slider pins a use-once item on the early brakes anyways?

2008 Taurus X Limited AWD - 50k

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T - 115k
---------------------
Old 07-16-2009, 04:22 PM
3.0ld

I dunno. I think it'd kinda be silly to have to replace the slide pins every time you change your pads.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:24 PM
No Mo SHO

SolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to allSolidState is a name known to all

not when considering the duty of that slider pin.

The caliper bracket bolts on 94+ brakes are single use.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 PM
#1 Oil Abuser

38SHO is a splendid one38SHO is a splendid one38SHO is a splendid one38SHO is a splendid one38SHO is a splendid one38SHO is a splendid one38SHO is a splendid one

I think thats kind of silly as long as its torqued to spec, or tight enough to your standards(I.E. the bicep torque wrench) I do brake jobs left and right and have never replaced caliper bracket bolts on any car... never had an issue

also the threadlocker won't help out in a situation like this

that probably happened from tightening it too much, which gave it a stress point or crack that was weakened and over time it gave out.... I wouldn't loose too much sleep over this if you fix it with new parts and install it correctly... now if this is a reoccuring problem.. then I'd be looking at something else causing this immediately

about the only recrommended replacement parts that are one time use that I advocate following are the Balljoint pinch bolts, they seem to take a beating........ some people also have issues with axle nuts... although i've probably taken off thousands and never had a problem... I don't give a second thought reusing it... but if I do have a new one on hand, I will use that....

Last edited by 38SHO; 07-16-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 PM
High Hopes

Rubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud ofRubix has much to be proud of

If the slider pin isn't rusty and worn looking then I think it's fine to keep using, at least that's how I do it. An important measure is to make sure to re-grease them every job, oh and keep an eye out for torn, punctured, dry rotted, or otherwise damaged boots; bad boots will cause eventual problems. Glad you are alright and the damage to your car is minimal considering the situation; this could have been much worse.

Last edited by Rubix; 07-16-2009 at 10:30 PM.
The following user says thank you to Rubix for this post:
Devin (07-17-2009)
Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 AM
No Mo SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38SHO View Post
I think thats kind of silly as long as its torqued to spec, or tight enough to your standards(I.E. the bicep torque wrench) I do brake jobs left and right and have never replaced caliper bracket bolts on any car... never had an issue

also the threadlocker won't help out in a situation like this

that probably happened from tightening it too much, which gave it a stress point or crack that was weakened and over time it gave out.... I wouldn't loose too much sleep over this if you fix it with new parts and install it correctly... now if this is a reoccuring problem.. then I'd be looking at something else causing this immediately

about the only recrommended replacement parts that are one time use that I advocate following are the Balljoint pinch bolts, they seem to take a beating........ some people also have issues with axle nuts... although i've probably taken off thousands and never had a problem... I don't give a second thought reusing it... but if I do have a new one on hand, I will use that....
Sure, but for what a new set of bolts cost, it is inexpensive peace of mind. Especially on your wife's car!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:19 PM
3.0ld

A lot of good info here!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Registered

tompumped will become famous soon enough

Good thing you're alright.
You should try Performance friction carbon metallic pads. I snagged two sets for 4o smoething off ebay. You can get them from autozone. Them coupled with a properly bled system works good for me.
I would upgrade but I have all new brakes and hubs and bearings. I trust them.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:27 PM
3.0ld

My bro has a pair of Cobras sitting getting dusty, so it's only a matter of time. Err, money.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 PM
3.0ld

We extracted the threaded section with minimal damage to the bracket. Once that was done it was a matter of 20 minutes before I was able to bleed it. Did some break checking at about 30 mph and it seems to be good now. I'll be popping off the wheel soon to see if everything looks good and that they are still torqued on.

Now that this experience is past, I took some of the advice and ended up buying new slider pins for my S10 Blazer. Before I had just planned on reusing them!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Towley rules!!

92MTX is on the right road
Lightbulb

Slider pins are notorious for sticking/locking up..
I had to replace my caliper brackets because they were rusted solid..
Well, my '94 ATX was a Katrina recovery I nursed back to health.. LOL
92'MTX, 94'ATX, '95CVPI, '04 Monte Carlo SS/SC, '89 Honda 4WD Wagovan, '82 Suzuki 1100-w/1204 BB kit, Yosh stage 2 cams, Vance and Hines head= LOW 10's..... Yes, as a matter of fact, I AM f*ckin retarded.
Don't be fooled by the low post count, this is my third incarnation here.. LOL

Last edited by 92MTX; 08-13-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Registered

Todd TCE will become famous soon enough

I agree with the "overtightened" scenario. These pins do nothing to support the brake torque and only secure the slider in place. There's no need for excessive tq on them.