SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Troubleshooting & Performance Upgrades - V8 (96-99) > V8 - Maintenance & Troubleshooting

Old 05-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Pop lock n drop

LJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumb Down Delayed and violent 1-2 shift *new problems video uploaded*

Just got the car back from the shop and I have a very delayed and then hard shift into 2nd gear. I remember reading something about a sticking accumulator piston (i think?) causing this issue. FWIW, right before I made it back home after the accident Sunday, the O/D light started to flash. I'm assuming this was due to the lost fluid which caused the remaining to overheat? Tranny has like 20,000 miles on it and had no issues before my accident.

96 ATX 245k - A.K.A. The Vomit Comet
Old 05-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Registered

93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute93rev2sev has a reputation beyond repute

Make damn sure there's enough fluid in it now. Check while idling hot.
It's like we all had a premonition that he'd be less stupid some day....:laugh_ti:
23 year old Taurus
Old 05-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Pop lock n drop

LJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond reputeLJRuddy has a reputation beyond repute

Its plenty full... First thing I did when I came back home today.

FWIW I tossed in a new filter and the fluid is brand new.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 PM
SHO Member

Inkertinker is a beacon of lightInkertinker is a beacon of lightInkertinker is a beacon of lightInkertinker is a beacon of lightInkertinker is a beacon of lightInkertinker is a beacon of light

I just realize I did not send the side pan, sorry about that, this week has been a blur.
68 Chevy C-20 Orange Crate
in Restoration
Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Pop lock n drop

No worries. Thanks anyway!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Registered

Liquid_force is on the right road

mine has done that since I bought it at 91.5k

When it's cold the first couple 1-2 shifts are nasty, after that it is very smooth and RARELY happens when it's warmed up.

Ambient temp doesn't seem to make much difference.

I now have 124k+ and the condition has been consistent from day 1.

I've gotten into the habit of running the rpm's up to the shift point, then lifting so it shifts at low rpms to keep it from slamming into 2nd.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Registered

SHOhopefull is a name known to allSHOhopefull is a name known to allSHOhopefull is a name known to allSHOhopefull is a name known to allSHOhopefull is a name known to allSHOhopefull is a name known to all

Accident induced shift kit?

1990 SHO "BREAKDOWN"
Eibachs/Tokico's,Fidanza flywheel,ALSFB's, 96 brakes
1990 SHO...Silver Banshee
96 brakes, rod shifter, DD
2001 SEL "Alice"
Black/Grey Leather Duratec...Wife's ride

I love going to the Pull-a-Part because the dollar admission is cheaper than most car shows and you almost always see cooler cars.(stolen from someone on grassroots motorsports, but so true!)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Pop lock n drop

New problem developed last night. When the tranny goes to engage a new gear (up or downshifting) it will go into the new gear, slip for a second and then tighten back up. If I go WOT at a speed that will not allow for a gear change, the tranny holds together perfectly. Here's a video on the highway going from 4th to 3rd gear, with a constant 1/2 throttle input. No CEL or OD lights are illuminated.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 AM

stephen newberg will become famous soon enough

Ouch. That looks like bands slipping to me. Assuming these transmissions still have bands. If not, whatever has replaced them slipping instead.

pax, smn
Cold air intake, K&N panel, SARC switch, 4 gauge instrumentation cluster, Front Strut Brace, ASFB, Eibach springs, 23mm rear sway bar, Yokohama Advan S.4. tires, wired open secondaries, FPS trans cooler, Magnaflow 99000 cats, Flowmaster 40 mufflers, and welded cam sprockets. Complete body restoration in 2010.

New DD: '11 metallic blue Porsche C4S.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:54 PM
v8 SHO

ThatSHO is unknown at this point

My trans acted weird after it was rebuilt somewhat similar to what yours seems to be doing but after looking around i saw that the tps connector was not all the way on and after that it did great. thats strange that it would be doing that with the low miles on the rebuild. If i were you i would look around at some sensors to see if the gets you anywhere
Rebuilt Trans
Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Pop lock n drop

Whats weird is if I go WOT from a dig and run it balls out, the tranny works flawlessly. 3rd will go into lock up at 75 instead of the usual 85 but that's the only issue.

Got an OD light last night. Gonna pick up my contacts and stop by an Autozone if theres one close and get the codes pulled.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Lurking

DrCheeto has a little shameless behavior

That flare seems more like an electrical / sensor issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by platoribs View Post
I fellate dogs!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Pop lock n drop

Got codes:

p0411- secondary injection incorrect upstream flow (pump has always been funky. Works but always sets this code)

p0733- gear 3 incorrect ratio

p0734- gear 4 incorrect ratio

p1519- IMRC stuck closed bank 1 (IMRC relay box has been removed and the secondaries are wired open)

ThatSHO: Put my volt meter to the tps and the voltages look good so we can rule that out. All electrical connections are good and tight on the tranny.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Registered

Dubeckyj is unknown at this point

When my tranny died, I was getting incorrect ratio codes. What happened to me was the valve body would stick somewhere, and cause it to not shift into 3rd, or 4th (or eventually 2nd) so it would think that "4th" gear had the same ratio as 1st. If you are getting all your gears, then that probably isn't the issue.

You didn't happen to change the chain ratio, did you?