SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Troubleshooting & Performance Upgrades - V8 (96-99) > V8 Discussion

Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 AM
PURPLE96 SHO

jnrock is unknown at this point
Default Air noise from windows

I found out something over the weekend about air noise at 50 and over in my 96 SHO. I happened to be looking at the right front window when I was putting it up. When it hit the top I saw something move. It was the rear of the window seal moved out. On farther investagation I noticed when the window gets to the top instead of stopping it pushs out and moves the giuld out enough so the window moves away from the seal on the inside leaveing a big gap to leak. I went around the rest of the car and tryed the rest and they all do the same to some degree. The track in thr rear of the front doors and in the front of the back doors are all pretty much the same. On farther investigation the track is attached in the bottom of the door and just shoves in the rubber at the top of the door. If I shove the track in and stop the window just as it touchs the top it stays sealed but driving down the road while putting the window up you just stop when it stops.
Has anyone done anything about this before? I am so sick of hearing that noise especialy at highway speeds.
Has anyone dealt with this before? I would be very appreseative of any advice anyone could offer. John

Last edited by jnrock; 04-17-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:56 PM
AlphaKennyBuddy

98SF19 is on the right road
Default you're lucky

I was washing my 98 last night and noticed the bottom seal of a rear window was "bouncing" when I wiped the top of it. It has come detached from the body, or however it is normally attached. You gotta expect stuff like that to happen with a 16 year old car (unless you say that you recently had a body restoration). Check with local body shops. They probably do Taurus's on a weekly basis.

Honestly, if this is the extent of problems you have with your car, then count your blessings!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 PM
PURPLE96 SHO

jnrock is unknown at this point

That is true. At highway speeds it is aggravating. I did notice that there is some air noised coming from around the windshield. I wonder how tite these cars was when they were new.