SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Performance Upgrades - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Engine, Intake, Exhaust and Drive Line

Old 03-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Registered

sheenut is on the right road
Default Exhaust help

Im wanting to replace the exhaust on my 95 mtx. I have been looking at the sho source equal length y-pipe I know it is the best way to go but my question is catted or uncatted? And if i go with no cats will the resonator on the sho souce catback and mufflers be good enough back pressure? Where I am emissions is not a problem(im not sure about other states) So i was leaning towards no cats. But was not sure if there are any more advantages or disadvantages with going catless? Also if you do run catless will the trigger the CEL?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:45 PM
SHOForum Sponsor

LOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud ofLOUDSHO92 has much to be proud of
Cool

The catless will not throw a CEL.

The catles tend to be better on the top end where as the catted tend to be better on the low end. The catless have more rasp.

-Performance: Turbo 297hp 279ftlb
-Drivetrain: CM Clutch,SHONut Mounts,QUAIFE
-Suspension: SS Coilovers, 24/26mm,Poly,Gen3,H-Brace, Subframe
-Brakes: Cobra front, 11.6 rear
-Looks: Sound System,Speedhut,Pilot Fogs,Clear Corners,Gen2 Console, CF Cowl Hood & Trunk
SHO Source
Old 03-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Registered

$120 dollar difference if I get the cats. decisions decisions
Old 03-31-2012, 06:50 PM
Buying Parts...

vortex2450 will become famous soon enoughvortex2450 will become famous soon enough

Being as you don't have to worry about emissions; get the catless and use the extra $120 to buy a UDP, rasp issues tend to be more the result of resonators and mufflers in my personal experience.

The engine will like the catless y-pipe more and with an UDP you're probably gonna get a bump in power at the butt dyno

-Josh
Old 03-31-2012, 07:04 PM
87 Octane

kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!kevinspann is brilliant!

It's gon' be raspy.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered

Does anyone have the catless that would of rather gone with the cats? I get that it will be raspy but is it enough to bug u that bad?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Registered

luigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid one

You may not have emissions testing, but you may need them for visual state inspection. That's why I bought mine with the sho source y-pipe. If I had some way to pass without I would have skipped them. If the rasp is that bad you can always install a resonator of some type.

1994 SHO MTX in rare green

Last edited by luigisho; 03-31-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:09 PM
Registered

Nothing like that in Illinois its either emissions or not at least as far as passenger cars go. Where I live I am almost positive its anything older than 95-96 does not have to take emissions. 5 minutes away in another town in the same county u don't have to take emissions. That's Illinois for u
Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Registered

luigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid oneluigisho is a splendid one

Ok. Here and other places they will fail you for not having equipment as originally configured from the factory. My y-pipe was leaking and they noted that the cats were hollowed out and that is against code...even though they don't test emissions. Wasn't aware of that since I just bought it in November. They also failed me for a burned out fog light bulb. Didn't know that was a paramount piece of equipment either.

Last edited by luigisho; 03-31-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Registered

sperold is a beacon of lightsperold is a beacon of lightsperold is a beacon of lightsperold is a beacon of lightsperold is a beacon of light

Go catless and see how it goes. If you don't like it, or need cats later, you can always add them. Don't weld the cat replacement pipe in place while you are experimenting. Having the Y-pipe built in segments make the installation a snap. You can buy the cats later for about the price you are saving.
I got the cats in my system because we have e-testing every 2 years. But I never welded the segmented system after I installed it, and there are no leaks or noise.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Registered

man that sucks you guys gotta deal with that. The point about going catless and seeing how it goes is a good idea. I forgot that the y comes in pieces thats probably what im gonna end up doing
Old 04-01-2012, 07:16 AM
Buying Parts...

vortex2450 will become famous soon enoughvortex2450 will become famous soon enough

I had a (non shosource) catless y-pipe and swapped it out for a magnaflow catted, I like the catless more.

-Josh
Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 AM

Ishodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid oneIshodu is a splendid one

I like my car catless it has been 7-8 years like that. Although I have a pair of cats on my bench to be installed when I get the car out. These are what you call true High flow units.
312hp 266tq
Drag Vid

Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass hood with out latch reinforcement or hood pins you and your family could be on borrowed time!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Registered

Well thanks for the input everyone. Looks like im going catless and if i dont like it we will throw some cats on.