SHOForum  

Go Back   SHOForum > Help and Maintenance - Gen 1 (89-91) & Gen 2 (92-95) > Gen 1 & 2 - Electronics & Audio

Old 12-27-2010, 06:55 PM
The Complainer

JRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud of
Default Who Sells These Econo Power Junk Batteries?

I have one in my 95 thanks to the PO. I have constant issues with it. When I'm working on the car and the hood light and interior lights are on for as little as 30 min. or so, this thing runs down. Seems like I have to constantly jump it off. I know that with the autolamp, the fact the headlights stay on for a bit when the car is off also contributes to some battery usage.

The reason I ask is because it's punched out July 2010, so it's a new battery...are they just "that" crappy? I assume so being "econo" power. I did some reading and it looks like they are reconditioned Interstate Batteries.

I don't really have the extra hundred bucks right here after Christmas, but I think I may have to junk this one soon and get something else.
Do yourself a favor-ball up your fist, punch yourself in the nuts, and then after you replace your timing chain tensioners, go back to that mechanic and smack him in the face with the used tensioners.

Stop being afraid of screwing something up, roll up your sleeves, grab your nuts and get dirty.
09 Corolla S (blk/blk)
95 SHO MTX (wht/tan)
89 SHO (red/gray) still leaks oil
06 Honda Aquatrax F-12X
90 SHO (slvr/blk) SOLD,crushed
93 SHO ATX (wht/tan) SOLD
Old 12-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Registered

tompumped will become famous soon enough

They are crap. When I bought the sho I drive now it came with one. I have to say I did make it home on just the battery. It didn't seem to last very good for long though. Like you said it stopped holding a charge, but it still worked. It would just drain down fast, and crank slow.
Since then I ran into Napa's the legend. The reserve cranking is the longest lasting i've ever seen.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Conan has one

SHOclass will become famous soon enoughSHOclass will become famous soon enough

X2 on the NAPA legend batteries
Old 12-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Old Dude

RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!

Go with a Duralast Gold from AZ. They are cheap enough to not have to mess with a crappy battery.
2006 Grand Prix 17K miles (wife's car)
2002 Grand Marquis 122K miles (work mule)
The following user says thank you to RonPorter for this post:
Bob Gervais (12-28-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 PM
The Complainer

JRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud ofJRA2000TL has much to be proud of

You know..now that I think about it, especially in these cooler months, I bet this crappy battery is why my car has hard starts after it sets up. The PO replaced the fuel filter and cam sensor, and the fuel pump primes. It starts OK after it's warmed up. Either I have a fuel pump going out or this sorry battery is losing its cranking amps. On a cold start I have to hold the key for a long time and sometimes it still doesn't start the first try. I feel like going to swap it out now even though it's still good...it's junk in my book though.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Old Dude

RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!RonPorter is brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
You know..now that I think about it, especially in these cooler months, I bet this crappy battery is why my car has hard starts after it sets up. The PO replaced the fuel filter and cam sensor, and the fuel pump primes. It starts OK after it's warmed up. Either I have a fuel pump going out or this sorry battery is losing its cranking amps. On a cold start I have to hold the key for a long time and sometimes it still doesn't start the first try. I feel like going to swap it out now even though it's still good...it's junk in my book though.
Go for it, it's a cheap, easy fix.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Registered

I found out, from this forum, that you could also have the wrong starter in the car. If you have a starter motor with less teeth on the drive gear it will result in hard starting occasionally.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:38 PM
The Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompumped View Post
I found out, from this forum, that you could also have the wrong starter in the car. If you have a starter motor with less teeth on the drive gear it will result in hard starting occasionally.
Yeah not sure which one's on it even though I just had the thing out when I replaced my rod bearings. The ATX models have a different starter than the MTX models, so it's possible.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:37 AM
WHO ME ?

RAYJAY is a jewel in the roughRAYJAY is a jewel in the roughRAYJAY is a jewel in the roughRAYJAY is a jewel in the rough

look for a interstate battery dealer, i get all my battery's there. for $35.00 bucks a pop for a blem battery its a great deal

jeff

1994 3.2 ATX DEEP JEWEL

1994 BLUE/GREY atx KONI /EIBACH TPR BUSHINGS H BRACE ATX

Old 12-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Wut?

Bob Gervais has a reputation beyond reputeBob Gervais has a reputation beyond reputeBob Gervais has a reputation beyond reputeBob Gervais has a reputation beyond reputeBob Gervais has a reputation beyond reputeBob Gervais has a reputation beyond reputeBob Gervais has a reputation beyond reputeBob Gervais has a reputation beyond reputeBob Gervais has a reputation beyond reputeBob Gervais has a reputation beyond reputeBob Gervais has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPorter View Post
Go with a Duralast Gold from AZ. They are cheap enough to not have to mess with a crappy battery.
This right here. My SHO and the truck both have them. I replaced the one in the SHO under warranty last year, no issues at all returning it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I ran away from that MTX like a 10 year old on the Penn state campus...
'92 Blue, rust free and stuff.
'95 F150 CCSB (The Miata of pickups)
Old 12-28-2010, 05:18 PM
The Complainer

$108 later, I have the Duralast Gold DL-34G in the white car now. Starts up better and the econo-crap is gone. I coulda used that extra $108 for something else but oh well; I drive the 95 quite a bit now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRA2000TL For This Useful Post:
Bob Gervais (12-28-2010), SHOMON (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 PM
95 MTX

SHOMON will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais View Post
This right here. My SHO and the truck both have them. I replaced the one in the SHO under warranty last year, no issues at all returning it.

I replaced my az gold battery once for free, and then only paid 35 bucks the second time under the pro rated warranty.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Registered

I'm not trying to start an argument, but. Both of you had to replace your "Gold" battery from autozone. I know a few people personally that have had problems too.
My first legend battery was in my firechicken with a carbureted high performance small block chevy before my sho. More than once I had to crank the car for a long period from ignition problems one time and flooding bad a couple times. It was amazing how long the battery lasted. I've never seen a battery last that long. It did drain down a number of times though from sitting and cranking
Then when I got my sho I installed it and it lasted with no issues for a year and a half until I hit a deer. Believe it or not it still started my car days later and more than 3/4 of the fluid drained out.

Last edited by tompumped; 12-29-2010 at 12:43 AM.