Discussion in 'Generation 4 - Performance Upgrades' started by Livernois Motorsports, Jun 5, 2017.
See post #5
As we move into the next steps, we find ourselves in the machining area. Block is off the stand and ready to be put in the first machine. We have the deck braces, which are made of 6061 billet aluminum, ready for install!
The block is mounted and ready to start the cutting process. We will start by making a shelf for the deck brace to sit on before it is trimmed.
The first few passes from the drill have been made. As you can see, we are moving our way around the block until we are at the correct height and depth for the deck braces to fit perfectly.
Next, we will be press fitting the deck braces in and cutting the excess metal out of the way.
The first deck is in! After the press fit is complete, we will rotate the block to the other side. At that time, we will cut the block for a shelf and add the second deck brace.
Deck number 2 is in with a little help from some Permatex high temp sleeve retainer to stay locked in place for the cutting phases.
Both deck braces are in. We're calling it a night and will be back tomorrow morning to cut and deck the block.
Very interesting. Why are there voids around each cylinder in the first place? Never seen one of these tore down.
The 3.5L V6 EcoBoost motors are built with a open deck design. This open deck design is not very common with your typical V8 but can be found in many 4 cylinders and V6's. There are a few reasons why manufacturers do this. It is a bit cheaper to manufacturer the castings, there is better cooling since the entire cylinder wall is cooled at the top, they have better bore geometry and reduced bore distortion.
With our deck braces, we maintain the great cooling with added holes in the deck itself. Our deck also strengthens the cylinder walls to reduce extra bore distortion under higher loads and higher hp/tq.
Another early morning in the machining area. The first deck brace has been shaved away to reveal the cylinders. Next, we have to cut the deck flat to ensure a level field for the head gasket and head.
Second side is cut! A few shavings but looks great. We will have to clean it up a bit before we start measuring and cutting for the sleeves.
The aluminum block engines like these are die cast rather than investment cast blocks. With die casting, there is no way to do a core that is dissolved after casting like there is with a sand or investment casting, because the injection pressures are too high and other reasons. Therefore, all the coring needs to be slides that are pulled back in order to get the cast part out of the mold. Accordingly, there can be no "undercuts" in the cored areas, so the water jacket (which is the cored area) has to be open to the edge of the mold.
Why die cast? Because although the tooling cost is higher, the part cost is significantly lowered and in most cases the resulting material has better mechanical properties (less voids and higher strength) because of the material being injected under pressure into the mold rather than just poured using gravity pressure.
Is there a reason I can't see the pictures??
Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
A couple measurements of the sleeves that will be going into the block before we start cutting. We measure before the cutting to find the exact bore size to get the correct sleeve to block interference. This will provide the exact fit we need!
Next step, start shaving away to make room for the new sleeves!
Block is out of cutting and getting cleaned up. We will be going through a few steps to get the freshly cut walls ready for the new sleeves before they are pressed in this afternoon. So far, it looks great! We can't wait for this project to come together.
After some persuasion the sleeves are in! We will be going back to the CNC machines to cut the lip off to make sure the deck is perfectly flat.
I'm curious how much force it takes to press those babies in there. I expect you also do the heat/cool stuff as well...
We do use a heating and cooling process to get these in there. We heat the block to a certain temperature and freeze the sleeves to a certain temperature and they slide right in with a little persuasion. The heating of the block will expand the cylinder just a hair, while the freezing sleeve shrinks. When they are at the correct temp, they fit together quite easily. Once they return to room temperatures, they lock themselves into place.
To prevent the sleeve from moving to far into the block, we have a small ledge that is cut to stop the sleeve and fit flush with no overhang.
We're back to the CNC machines this morning to deck of the extra bit of sleeve sticking from the top of the block. We want to ensure a flush fit between the deck, gasket, and head for a perfect fit.
If you wish to help keep SHOforum running,
please click the donation button below
Separate names with a comma.