Finally Fixed Dragging Rear Brakes!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 & 2 - Suspension, Brake Systems, & Body' started by SHOpar, Jan 30, 2011.

  1. SHOpar

    SHOpar SHO Member

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2002
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    3
    Occupation:
    Accountant
    Location:
    Aloha (Portland), OR USA
    Home Page:
    My rear brakes have been dragging and making lots of noise over the past year or so, sometimes to the point where they have started smoking. A couple weeks ago I heard metal grinding noises in the rear, so I figured I better take a look at it. Sure enough, the pads on the left year were totally gone and the backing plate was digging into the rotor.

    Wanting to get the rear brakes fixed once and for all, I headed off to Napa last Sunday and bought new loaded rear calipers, brake lines, and rotors. I checked the front pads, and they were getting thin, too, so I bought pads, lines, and rotors for the front as well.

    I got everything installed, flushed the system, and was good to go, or so I thought. The rear tires finally spun freely once again, that is until I tried the e-brake. One cycle of the brake caused the rear brakes to lock right up. Further inspection of the e-brake cables showed they were seized on both sides and it took A LOT of effort to pull the cables back enough to release the calipers.

    After being quite pissed that I dumped a ton of money into the car only to have the same problem, I got on RockAuto and ordered up all three cables since it was going to take my local Napa longer to get them in than RockAuto could have them shipped to me and Napa wanted quite a bit more money. The cables showed up this week, and I spent yesterday installing them.

    They were a PITA to install, especially with my aftermarket control arms and rear H-brace, but once they were in, I was very happy! I couldn't believe how seized the old cables were once I pulled them off and compared them to the new ones. The e-brake now fully releases and the rears don't drag at all!!!

    Funny how $60 worth of parts and a few hours of work can make such a huge difference. :)
     
  2. cflguy2005

    cflguy2005 Future SHOwner

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2006
    Messages:
    61
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Port St. John, Florida
    Home Page:
    I know that feeling. I finally got around to getting mine replaced last fall, now I just have to get the fronts done.
     
  3. sperold

    sperold Last to Know

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    Messages:
    2,334
    Likes Received:
    509
    Gender:
    Male
    Occupation:
    Mechanical Technologist
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    If you have any grief in the future, the flex lines have been known to collapse internally and allow fluid in when you foot is on the pedal, but wont allow the fluid to flow back out.
    I often check the rims as they get hot it this happens.
    The earlier models had a clip (on the flex line) that corroded on the inside diamter (think of it as a #9 with the flex line being held in the circle). The corrosion swelled and choked off the backwards flow as well. I don't remember if the newer cars have that clip, but it is something to be aware of.
     
  4. SHOpar

    SHOpar SHO Member

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2002
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    3
    Occupation:
    Accountant
    Location:
    Aloha (Portland), OR USA
    Home Page:
    Although the rear flex lines may have been contributing to my brake issues, I'm pretty sure the sticking e-brake cables were the main culprit. I did replace the flex lines while I had everything apart for additional insurance though, as they're pretty cheap.

    I had known for quite some time that I had problems back there, as the rear rims were always hot; generally as warm or warmer than the fronts. :oogle:
     
  5. shoon

    shoon cliTaurus

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2008
    Messages:
    534
    Likes Received:
    144
    Occupation:
    Industrial Electrician
    Location:
    Dawson Creek, BC
    Did the same thing. My parking brake cables lasted under 1 yr before seizing solid again. The passenger side could not be moved at all. I injected grease into the sheathing on the new cables, so I'm hoping they will last longer this time around.
     

Share This Page

If you wish to help keep SHOforum running, please click the donation button below